Looking to get a first dirtbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 bikes for $3k sounds odd, I'd be careful on that.
I do see small used older dual sports online in mint shape parked in front of a perfectly maintained house with 5k on them. I'd have no problem buying a 10 year old bike from that type of owner, as they either had it maintained at the dealer, or followed the manual maintaining it themselves.
My old IT200 was one of the mechanics bikes at the dealership, and was like new as far as I could tell. I had it for 5 years and burned though a couple sets of tires and sold it for what I paid.

Just called DMV for this area. They confirmed what I found online last night!

Strictly a written knowledge test NO driven test skills for motorcycle endorsement on license!! Yea!!!

But what is really sweet is the salesman at the dealer that is 30-45mins away said and gave me his card that every weekend he has 12 people come in usually from 7 til 5 and whatever time on Sunday for a drivers basic rider test. I would be driving a furnished honda rebel from noon to 5 and they go far I mean a great route from what he told me are some of the landmark areas.

Only bad part is that in order to ge through traffic from here is not an option. I might have to stay in a motel the night before a lot closer to be able to have plenty of time to rise and shine to go to it. I didn't catch what his cost is but he said its plenty worth it.

:)

Edit... Forgot that the card had a website... Basic rider package is $200.

Experienced rider test is $100
Private lessons is $50/hr.
Kick start class (helps if you are completely new to driving a bike) --$50
(Smaller classes)

Cool.

Last edited:
the bikes are '05s and I am thinking the owner will lower the price a bit more for a single bike. These are a 230L that doesn't have the turn signals from the one picture I saw. The other bike which was told to me a crf125F looked to be the same size as the 230?!?

got me thinking that I would double check with the salesman to ask the farmer what's the deal?

how much would y'all say the bikes alone with low hours and '05s be individually? 1200 for the 230 and just under 1000 for the smaller bike?

I am thinking the price will get a little lower if not I can make an offer and see what he will sell cash in hand as. Then it will be in the back of the truck!
smile.gif

thanks again for all the feedback on this subject matter. Everybody did try to make sense of what I was asking and all. Much appreciative.

It was just sheer luck I passed this deal... but It could be a can of worms.
I drove by a worn out '07 crf100 electric and kickstart which is a plus that would be great for farm use and price was very reasonable though sitting on and checking the oil clearly showed that it was ran through its paces. And I am not sure that paying the asking price would be the $$$ to put in it to get it running right. But the engines are easy to tinker on with the right knowledge which I am sure I can get it running 80% better than it is in its sell as is state. Because I am great at stubborn engines to a certain extent.

The only catch is that a man has the other bike on hold that's a Yamaha and I figured that the man's son wont get the full benefit of what that 'lil bike could, but I rather have a kid use that sixe of a bike than me after the fact.

Then I go to a different dealer that after I opened the door. I said "wow" and told a few employees that their showroom of everything was the best I have seen and walked around looking at all the cool and expensive "toys".

Two of which would be the honda grom for later on down the road in the next year. The other was the TW200 which even thought the top speed is 55 to 60mph. I might just go with the dual sport as those bikes have the great low end torque as I wanted from the first get go a dirt. Then figured dual sport because of road worthiness and being able to commute blew the idea of a trail bike. So now it's the toss up between the tw200 or the XT250.

New to me selling feature is JUST that it is warranted off the showroom floor. Warranted! That alone is the best reason to buy a dual sport from a dealer because I would know exactly what its been through.

Again the XT and the TW are well suited for my needs and even if the WR is too much for me in skill level finding a used one that is a year or two old would two are the only bike that would be a distant by next summer that I might have in my garage.

All the bikes on that website that I found are all over the country but down here within the southeast. Majority are Midwest, Out west oregon and washington state, and new england are the only ones that are the better deals but too far for me to fly or drive to check out in person.

I will stay away from ebay as I DO NOT WANT to ever mess with ebay again. Long story and I ain't (am not) ha! going to state why.

its been a long day and I'll post when I get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back