Cable TV not HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new HD TV. I get all my channels OTA and everything comes razor sharp like it's supposed to.

I have two T.V.s (secondary ones) that both have digital to analog boxes because I don't want to pay the cable company for their digital boxes. Of course, in most instances if you go OTA your picture may be better than cable because many cable companies compress the signal out to their customers.

The other two T.Vs I have are both with digital boxes. They are the ones we watch more.

They made changes a couple of years ago that prevents you from hooking up your T.V. direct to their cable to get a signal without boxes of some sort.

Last edited:
People are dropping cable in droves :)

The next go around maybe we wont have to pay for the "Bundle" and the 10:1 garbage channels they force on us.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Can you get ESPN over the air?

ESPN - the biggest rip off going.

I only wish I could use an antenna but I'm down in a valley.

We found the HD signal OTA to be sharper and generally "cleaner" than the same channel (local CBS affiliate) served over Time Warner Cable. We dropped video cable service a few years ago, though we still pay a Time Warner Cable bill for broadband.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I just bought a new HD TV. I get all my channels OTA and everything comes razor sharp like it's supposed to.

What channels can you get using a digital to analog box? Do you need an external antenna with these boxes?

Ed

I love it how all the cable and dish providers charge you extra to get HD content, and pay per month for it.

I am very close to dumping DirecTV and setting up a nice attic mounted antenna.

The wife wants like 3 channels and I have to figure out how to get them. I watch local news thats it.

Your best HD picture will be obtained with an antenna. The signal from cable companies is compressed, they say HD but in reality it is not full HD. I ditched my cable ten years ago ( but kept the internet) and installed an oudoor antenna, I never missed the cable and saved a lot of money.

Last edited:
I get all the cable channels through the cable service. But they are in analog instead. Hope that clears up your question.

On edit-the two analog boxes are indeed analog-but I get all the cable stations my digital boxes get-through the cable.

Justin-I am told that your roof is really detrimental to receiving the HD signals. They have square HD antennas that are not any bigger than 12 or 14 inches square that do a great job mounted on the roof instead of in your attic. Please note that the HOA cannot prevent you from putting up an antenna for reception.

Last edited:
Uhhh...I'm very skeptical that an HOA can't prevent you from putting up an antenna for reception. It likely depends on the association by-laws, the size, and where you're going to mount it.

My association couldn't care less about what I receive or don't receive but they do say that dishes and other antennas aren't to be placed in x areas on the outside of your place which they own as common area of the development. They don't really have issues with dishes and antennas if they're below a sight line or there's a collective area that is approved for this use. Otherwise, they're not going to let me mount it 12 feet high on a corner bracket just because that's where the reception is best.

This is the FCC rule that HOAs have lost over and over again in court-

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule-

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
This is the FCC rule that HOAs have lost over and over again in court-

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule-

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Bingo!

I've ALWAYS had an antenna...on a tall pole....attached to my chimney. The neighborhood I live in has no HOA. However, by FCC mandate, no HOA can prevent you from receiving an OTA TV signal. Period. Most HOA's are clueless about this law. They need to find something better to do with their time....like manage an anthill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back