First oil change at 10,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cmhj
Yup people worry too much

Yeah, but BITOG would not exist if people didn't.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tamedcowboy
I have about 700 miles on my 2015 Ford Focus SE with the 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 Flex Fuel (not the EcoBoost). Should I do my first oil change when the oil life monitor tells me (which will probably be around 10,000 miles), or should my first oil change be sooner? I wasn't sure if the oil collects more particles during break in and would need a sooner first oil change.

There will be more wear metal contaminants in the oil during break-in. Its also a possibility the factory oil has some special additives beneficial during break-in.

I changed the oil in my 2015 Forester at under 2500 miles. I might have changed it earlier had it been warmer out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have about 700 miles on my 2015 Ford Focus SE with the 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 Flex Fuel (not the EcoBoost). Should I do my first oil change when the oil life monitor tells me (which will probably be around 10,000 miles), or should my first oil change be sooner? I wasn't sure if the oil collects more particles during break in and would need a sooner first oil change.

There will be more wear metal contaminants in the oil during break-in. Its also a possibility the factory oil has some special additives beneficial during break-in.

I changed the oil in my 2015 Forester at under 2500 miles. I might have changed it earlier had it been warmer out.

I am curious if you are having any oil burning issues? Are you adding oil for a longer OCI? Thanks.

If its a lease I recommend doing the first oil change right before you turn it in, so if its a 36k mile lease @ 35k miles.

Last edited:
Agreed and return it empty of gas
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
If its a lease I recommend doing the first oil change right before you turn it in, so if its a 36k mile lease @ 35k miles.

No wrong answers here.

If an early change gives you peace of mind, change the oil.

Not sure the car will benefit one way or the other. As you can tell, the jury is still out on the subject.

But I know I sleep better with that factory fill, with all the break-in wear metals and other real or imagined nasty things, out around 1,200 miles.

$32.99 in oil and filter wasted? Maybe....

I just let my Honda Accord go 8700 miles on factory fill. Against my grain, but Honda makes a big deal out of it, and analysis reports show relatively low iron on these intervals.

Without all that, I would have changed it early-maybe 3000 miles. You may want to check and see if there are any analysis reports on your engine w/ factory fill.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
You can see and remove some of the iron particles you get by replacing the stock drain plug with a quality goldplug.com OR drainplugmagnets.com, strong magnets. (A lot of cheap ones are weak magnets and don't do much.)

Do you have any idea why goldplug gets $19 for their M12x1.25 drain plug and drainplugmagnets gets $35?

There isn't any proof that change factory fill early or on scheduled would extend engine life.

I changed factory fills at regular interval and none of my cars suffer any engine damage. The engine of my LS400 has more than 370k miles without any sign that it is needed to do any work under the valve cover. Same for 15 years old E430 with 170k miles, no oil consumption since new even with thinner oil than spec'ed.

Change it out at 1500 miles.
Many UOAs have shown high wear metals like iron in there on new engines with the Factory-Fill FF.
Your oil filter can take out particles down to about 30 microns, leaving a very fine iron powder circulating around. Since the engine is very new, it can tolerate it, but its not the best. An oil change to M1 Ext Performance EP oil or Castrol Edge Ext Perf oil (gold jug) at walmart.com is your best choice.
Also, Fram Ultras get the smallest particles out and are built well.

You do realize those fine iron particles do the micro polishing of the camshaft and rings?

Pure conjecture on your part, do you have any evidence to collaborate those particles being harmful?

Magnetic plugs are at best a feel good move, drain the oil hot like you are supposed to and on time and everything will be in suspension.

The Scion had it's FF changed at 10k miles, I had thought I sent in the UOA out of curiosity but I did not yet. When it gets back I will post it.

Listen to OLM, it will not hurt the car but will save you money in the long run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
You do realize those fine iron particles do the micro polishing of the camshaft and rings?

Fine micro-polishing will occur naturally over greater miles. No need to polish the internal surfaces down too soon, the wear can simply occur later.

Pure conjecture on your part, do you have any evidence to collaborate those particles being harmful?

I think you meant to say "corroborate". OK, I'm assuming that hard iron particles, like carbon soot in the same size range, does wear internal surfaces more when present. Its obvious.

Magnetic plugs are at best a feel good move, drain the oil hot like you are supposed to and on time and everything will be in suspension.

Bunk. The more abrasive particles you get out of the oil, the better. Remember the oil filter doesn't catch everything under 30 microns.

The Scion had it's FF changed at 10k miles, I had thought I sent in the UOA out of curiosity but I did not yet. When it gets back I will post it.
Listen to OLM, it will not hurt the car but will save you money in the long run.

Lots of iron will be in that UOA, its happened every time. Since the engine is new, you won't notice it much. Why purposely wear your engine down though? OLMs are good, but not for FF oil, change that stuff out.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
.....drain plug with a quality goldplug.com OR drainplugmagnets.com, strong magnets. .

Do you have any idea why goldplug gets $19 for their M12x1.25 drain plug and drainplugmagnets gets $35?

Not sure. I ordered a couple over the years, can't recall which ones I got now. I'd like to try them side by side picking up the same metal plate to see which as the strongest magnet. Good question.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Run it to 10,000 miles on every OCI. The local salvage yard will give you $50 for it when the time comes.

Right. Salvage yards are just full of otherwise pristine cars with engines that died as a result of lubrication issue brought about by modern API SN oil changed at 10K miles.

BTW, the 10K mile OCI is not just a blanket statement. It only applies if there are is no severe service and it is also time limited.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Run it to 10,000 miles on every OCI. The local salvage yard will give you $50 for it when the time comes.

Pretty much, I used to care but when you sell it/trade/srap no one else does. Now I go with dealer bulk. If I obsessed and used Amsoil every 3k vs dealer bulk when the OLM goes off I'll get the same when I sell it.

I bought a new car on November 8, 2014. Still has the FF. I want all that stuff floating around. Helps ensure long engine life.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I bought a new car on November 8, 2014. Still has the FF. I want all that stuff floating around. Helps ensure long engine life.

On that, best thing to do is pour some dirt in your oil fill hole. After all, the more the better!
grin.gif

You're being nonsensical because you have no facts to back up your opinion. No person in their right mind will pour dirt in their engine. Big difference between that and microscopic particles held in suspension in the oil. You are unable to provide any facts that an early change of the FF will result in increased engine longevity.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

On that, best thing to do is pour some dirt in your oil fill hole. After all, the more the better!
grin.gif

Think very carefully before taking the word of internet people who really don't know anymore about it than you do rather than the manufacturer recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back