Windows 10 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this has been covered but could not find an answer. I have Windows 7 currently. If I accept and install Windows 10 what happens in the event of having to reformat and recover? Will I have to reinstall 7, then 10?

Thanks,

Scott

I was advised by a retired IBM scientist (yeah, I really did speak to one recently), not to be an early adopter. Give it till early next year, before making the leap.

Once you've upgraded to 10, you'll have the ability to create a reinstall disk. This will be an important chore as that is all you'll have for a reinstall or clean install. Otherwise it's off to the store for a retail or oem copy.

I agree with MJK, give it some time, you've got a year to do the upgrade for free.

if you have a windows 10 key you should be able to download the media.

that being said I'd advise backing up prior to the upgrade and also immediately after.

Use Acronis, macrim reflect, or similar.
to a usb hdd is the easy way

Some Early adopters will most likely have some kind of painful issues.

My dad has been beta testing 10 for maybe a year? It's still not ready for prime time.

Lots of web sites, etc. out there aren't compatible with it and you get printing and visibility issues. Just today I had to go drag out my 7-based laptop to print a shipping label, no way to make 10 read it and print it correctly.

I'd give it at least six months after the launch. Unlike prior versions where there's a big "service pack" that let's you most has been corrected, 10 is all trickled online so there will never be an update. So really best to let a lot of time go by.

None of my neighbors who work at Microsoft have put 10 on their work or home computers, if that tells you anything.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
My dad has been beta testing 10 for maybe a year? It's still not ready for prime time.

Lots of web sites, etc. out there aren't compatible with it and you get printing and visibility issues. Just today I had to go drag out my 7-based laptop to print a shipping label, no way to make 10 read it and print it correctly.

I'd give it at least six months after the launch. Unlike prior versions where there's a big "service pack" that let's you most has been corrected, 10 is all trickled online so there will never be an update. So really best to let a lot of time go by.

None of my neighbors who work at Microsoft have put 10 on their work or home computers, if that tells you anything.
wink.gif

I've been running 10 since it was available and if you use Chrome for the above tasks, you are fine.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
you've got a year to do the upgrade for free.

From which point on is this one year measured?

IIRC July 29, 2015 when they release it.

Only major issue I have is I updated to build 10170 (iirc)
and now everytime I shut down I get a blue screen.

but its just my extra test computer so not a big deal.

I expect to transition sometime between september and december, but I'll have a full image of my windows 7 os drive

Last edited:
windows 10 brings very little to the table. maybe directx 12 but thats only important for gamers. windows 7 will still have a healthy userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back