2001 BMW 740

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 2001 E38 with the m62tu. Car has 100K miles. Most of the miles are in town. Previous owner used M1, BMW recommends Castrol 5w30 . I'm planning on using the 0w30 or 0w40 Castrol.
Anyone have any experience with these motors or other BMW VANOS motors using the GC 0w30?

Edit: Car is my daily driver and here in Boise we have an annual temp change from -10F in the winter to 110F in the summer. I'm thinking the 0w30 will be fine year around.

Last edited:
FWIW I used GC in my '02 330ci up to 162k miles when I sold it with no problems whatsoever. The Edge 0w40 will be fine as well; I've got 2 Ecoboost F150s and 1 Mazdaspeed3 grinding it up as we speak - it's a stout oil. For you Bimmer though I recommend 5k OCIs - BMWs 15k intervals are idiotic at best.

I did use GC 0w-30 in my M54 engine for a number of years. Now using Pennzoil Euro 5w-40. No issues with either oil.

Welcome to BITOG!

I was planning on 5k-7.5k OCI with OE or another good filter. On my previous BMWs I've used Bosch or Mann Filters. I'm assuming they are good filters for the E38 as well.

As long as you use an LL-01 approved oil you will be fine, this includes M1 0w-40, which is what I assume the previous owner used.

Either oil would meet the requirements for this engine as would M1 0W-40.
With an old seven series, I suspect that oil choice will be the least of your worries.
These are nice cars, though.
Good luck with it.

Yeah, there are a lot of thing that can go wrong, for sure. However they are pretty well documented online for those who aren't afraid of a multimeter and turning wrenches. Great road car, drives better at 100 than 75...

Originally Posted By: irideostriches
Yeah, there are a lot of thing that can will go wrong, for sure. However they are pretty well documented online for those who aren't afraid of a multimeter and turning wrenches. Great road car, drives better at 100 than 75...

I fixed that for you
wink.gif

Well, BMW doesn't claim its the "Ultimate Reliability Machine"

Any oil you can find with LL-01 and MB229.5 printed on the back label is what you want. I've never seen any evidence of significant differences between any of them, except for the BMW branded 5w-30, which did have a reputation for too much gooey deposits visible thru the fill hole, under valve covers. That was with the old Castrol-made BMW dealer oil though, the new Shell-sourced BMW branded dealership oil might be better.
Best deal of course is the 5-quart jugs of Castrol and M1 0w-40 at walmart or amazon. The GC 0w-30 I've never seen offered as cheap, and its about the same oil as Castrol 0w-40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back