Nico Rosberg 177 (-17)
Sebastian Vettel 135 (-59)
Constructors
Mercedes 371
Ferrari 211 (-160)
Williams 151 (-220)

For more check out my full post on TOV Motorsports

10_Hungary_E_300DPI-886x498.jpg

Great race. I still don't understand all of the negative comments towards F1 racing.

Originally Posted By: whip
.....I still don't understand all of the negative comments towards F1 racing.

Many people berate what they don't understand. Another reason is we (USA) don't have a driver good enough to compete in it. And we haven't since Mario. Red Bull invested close to $30 Million dollars in Scott Speeds Formula 1 career, and it went nowhere. They replaced him with a very young and inexperienced Sebastian Vettel, and look what happened.

Originally Posted By: billt460
.....I still don't understand all of the negative comments towards F1 racing.

Many people berate what they don't understand. Another reason is we (USA) don't have a driver good enough to compete in it. And we haven't since Mario. Red Bull invested close to $30 Million dollars in Scott Speeds Formula 1 career, and it went nowhere. They replaced him with a very young and inexperienced Sebastian Vettel, and look what happened.

Meh that's equally berating to claim that the reason other people don't like it is they just don't "get it". Straight out of a hipster stereotype.

I personally understand why it may not appeal to other people; but I decide that I like it anyway.

I don't have to like everything other people like; just like other people don't have to like what I like. and that's OK.

Last edited:
Great race. I still don't understand all of the negative comments towards F1 racing.

I think the problem is (at the moment) the visually exciting races are still statistical outliers. Most races are pretty boring from a pure racing perspective. The entertainment comes from a combination of the technology and the strategy and both of those fly mostly above a good portion of motorsport viewers.

This race happened to have a lot of the visual, but also some great technological and strategic gaffes that made for an overall great race to watch.

Mainly it's relatively boring cars plodding around a circuit with nothing particularly exciting to watch happening. They don't sound particularly exciting, they are relatively predictable and it's all about managing fuel and tyres. Great strategy, but boring racing.

Circuits like Hungary make it more exciting because it becomes less about the fuel/power/tyres and more about the actual drivers and how big their balls are.

Personally I like Formula one, but I can see how some people might find it boring. It's not something you can take a shallow interest in and maintain that level of excitement because to be honest a great driver is that boring guy at the front who does 60 flawless laps and makes no mistakes.

That's why I love Maldonado. He's the life of the party.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Meh that's equally berating to claim that the reason other people don't like it is they just don't "get it".

As they say, sometime the truth hurts.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Mainly it's relatively boring cars plodding around a circuit with nothing particularly exciting to watch happening.

Yet these same people salivate over NASCAR. They are "excited" to watch over 40 cars push each other around a 2-1/2 mile circle in single file, with their feet to the floorboards until a dozen or so of them wreck. Or else watch as they chase each other around a 1/2 mile circle, just fast enough to make you dizzy. Mostly because both the cars and the "racing" are designed so they can't get out of each others way.

No, it's because they don't understand Formula 1, or particularly want to either. As I said, there are no American drivers good enough to be in Formula 1. And Americans don't especially enjoy watching a bunch of people who's names they can't even correctly pronounce, undertake a racing format they don't either like or understand. It really is just that simple.

It's why American soccer, or soccer in general for that matter, is no where near as popular as the NFL or MLB in this country. This in spite of it being pushed at younger kids for the last 2 generations here. It's not an American sport, and never will be. Not to the degree it needs to be to garner the interest that professional Baseball or Football has. Look at how the NBA has deteriorated over the years. The shorts got longer, and the tempers got shorter. No matter, Americans love it, shot clock and all. It's "our" sport.

In fact, if you look at the stands lately, Americans are showing a lesser interest in most all forms racing here as well. Look at the empty seats at Indianapolis yesterday for the Brickyard 400 compared to years past. It's one of NASCAR's premier events. Or at least used to be. About the only format of American racing that still manages to draw huge crowds is the NHRA. And that racing is the easiest of all to understand. The spectator only has to stay focused for 3 to 6 seconds out of every few minutes.

I'm vexed with my DVR. One of the most exciting races of the F1 season, and it fails to record it. I don't know why it didn't get it on CNBC. It recorded Qualifying on CNBC. And why no rebroadcast on NBC-SN?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm vexed with my DVR. One of the most exciting races of the F1 season, and it fails to record it. I don't know why it didn't get it on CNBC. It recorded Qualifying on CNBC. And why no rebroadcast on NBC-SN?

This is my only gripe with NBCSN. I don't understand why they jump around so much between channels. NBCSN, CNBC, and NBC National have all covered F1 at some point. That in itself isn't bad if they do it for the whole weekend. But they jump around from one to the other for practice, qualifying, and the race itself. It becomes a royal PITA to record. And if that's not bad enough, one will have it live, and the other will have it on a delayed broadcast. It gets tiresome chasing it down all the time. I miss the simplicity of Speed Channel's coverage.

Meh that's equally berating to claim that the reason other people don't like it is they just don't "get it". Straight out of a hipster stereotype.

There is still a point to that, though. I, personally, don't want things dumbed down, but the whole formula can be a little complex for people, and it does get criticized as elitist. Nonetheless, the American feed does a good job at explaining things for the casual fan.

Do you get the British feed down under? When Perez got run off the track, only the last bit of what happened was shown, so the commentators didn't know who did it. Coulthard jokingly remarked that Maldonado had just been through there. It turns out he was right and did have a couple comments about Pastor's driving. Force India should look at replacing his front wing with a cow catcher.

Originally Posted By: Garak

There is still a point to that, though. I, personally, don't want things dumbed down, but the whole formula can be a little complex for people, and it does get criticized as elitist. Nonetheless, the American feed does a good job at explaining things for the casual fan.

Do you get the British feed down under? When Perez got run off the track, only the last bit of what happened was shown, so the commentators didn't know who did it. Coulthard jokingly remarked that Maldonado had just been through there. It turns out he was right and did have a couple comments about Pastor's driving. Force India should look at replacing his front wing with a cow catcher.

The rap on Maldanado is that he isn't all bad, he has less wrecks than the Venezuelen economy.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460

Not to the degree it needs to be to garner the interest that professional Baseball or Football has.

Maybe baseball has the advantage of having originated in England?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I only said it out of mischief. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I still prefer to watch cricket over baseball.

It was a good race, glad to see Ferrari taking the fight to Mercedes.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: Garak

The rap on Maldanado is that he isn't all bad, he has less wrecks than the Venezuelen economy.
laugh.gif

With all the young talent out there I can't believe he still has a drive.

For all the criticism we've had some pretty good races this year. Some changes are needed and they appear to be proactively implementing a few in addition to planned future changes.

I think the most beneficial change they could make to the cars is ground effects. This will allow cars to follow and challenge more for overtaking moves without dirty air ruining performance and causing them to back off when they get close.

Maybe a coincidence but the most exciting races so far have not been on Tilke-designed circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back