Hot LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5 year old Sony LCD TV (non LED) and the screen is warmer then normal.
I walked by it and my arm was a foot away and I could feel the heat.
Is this bad?

Have you taken mulitple verified readings, using your NASA calibrated Infrared Thermometer?

Otherwise, your thread doesn't meet BITOG standards.

Old (relatively) LCD TV's generate substantial amounts of heat. It could be something as simple as a minor change in air circulation in the room not carrying as much heat away or a couple of degrees change in ambient temperature. Has the brightness been turned up a notch?

The other option might be that it is about to go nuclear and melt down your neighborhood, but that's a rare enough occurrence to probably discount.

In other words, don't worry about it.

A computer repair man told me to blow out the dirt from the insides of your computers and TVs to allow better cooling.

Originally Posted By: CT8
A computer repair man told me to blow out the dirt from the insides of your computers and TVs to allow better cooling.

+1
The higher the contrast is turned up, the hotter they run, consequently reducing the life of the set.

The old back lites do generate some heat. Be thankful you do not have a plasma. You can heat up a room in the winter with it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: CT8

+1
The higher the contrast is turned up, the hotter they run, consequently reducing the life of the set.

Yup, go to radio shack or walmart and purchase a can of air duster; Or if you have a compressed air tank you can clean it yourself. Jet the air into the vents around the back/sides multiple times as well as vacuum what you can as well. Do it until dust stops flying around. I do this about once a quarter to our T.V.s, PS4, computers/laptops. and I clena the coils on the fridge, A/C unit.

Originally Posted By: marine65
I have a 5 year old Sony LCD TV (non LED) and the screen is warmer then normal.
I walked by it and my arm was a foot away and I could feel the heat.
Is this bad?

it's not bad, and even normal.... don't know why you felt it now, and not other times though, as it's always like that.

LCD TV's put out quite a bit of heat from the fluorescent back light and power supply. Mine will noticeably warm up my room (40" in the bedroom) if it's on more than an hour. The LED ones make much less heat and use less power accordingly.

Got a 8 year 32 inch Samsung LCD that runs hot too, but just by looking on back product label I realized that 135 watts means a lot of heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back