The Prowler

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son's first, second and third deployments were with the VAQ-134 Garudas out of NAS Whidbey Island, to Bagram Airbase. Those planes and the guys that flew them were amazing.

I believe the Marines will be using them now.

Last edited:
I had a ride in one to Clark in the Philippines while stationed in Vietnam. We engaged in a dog fight on the way with another A6 and an F4. It was the best ride, ever.

The Prowler is a great airplane.

I've got one trap in a Prowler, March 19, 1996. We flew off USS JOHN F KENNEDY, near Puerto Rico, it was with VAQ-141, the Shadow Hawks. They've long since transitioned to the EA-18 Growler.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm surprised the USAF doesn't have a dedicated platform for jamming radar after the EF-111 Raven was retired.

The USAF chose to completely decimate their Electronic Combat capability in order to help fund the buy of F-22s. They retired their EF-111 jammers and F-4G Wild Weasels without adequate replacements. It wasn't a decision based upon capability or reality.

History will show the Navy was way more concerned with war fighting capability than the Air Force in this matter. The Air Force was, as it is now with the attempted retirement of the A-10, more concerned with pretty aircraft on the ramp.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm surprised the USAF doesn't have a dedicated platform for jamming radar after the EF-111 Raven was retired.

The USAF chose to completely decimate their Electronic Combat capability in order to help fund the buy of F-22s. They retired their EF-111 jammers and F-4G Wild Weasels without adequate replacements. It wasn't a decision based upon capability or reality.

History will show the Navy was way more concerned with war fighting capability than the Air Force in this matter. The Air Force was, as it is now with the attempted retirement of the A-10, more concerned with pretty aircraft on the ramp.

I was astonished at the time. The USAF gave up an entire mission area to the USN.

And since then, the USN Prowlers have been used heavily. No airplane goes into combat without EA support. The deployment and utilization rates have been very demanding.

That's part of why the EA-18G was developed. The airplanes were simply wearing out.

The EA-18G was a real procurement success story (that's why you never hear about it...good news doesn't sell...). It was delivered early and under budget and with full capability. It went right into deployment and combat.

The Admiral in charge of the project got a promotion that was, frankly, well-deserved.

I resemble that remark! VAQ-137, the "Rooks" back in the late 80's. We were based at Whidbey, then on CV-66, USS AMERICA.

The Prowler did emit the 'sound of freedom', it was a loud beast.

Was out walking home from high school one day around 1985 or '86 in a small central Newfoundland town (Buchans) when I saw an EA-6b drop out of some clouds that were, oh, I'd say a 1000' up. I happened to be looking directly at it before it could be heard. It was moving fast - cold see condensation coming off it. He (they?) probably had no clue he was coming in hot & low over a small town (not much settlement in central Nfld) & was likely as surprised as I was! I, too, heard the blessed sound of freedom that day.

Of course, for me, it was just another aspect of my 'love affair' w/ the USN given my youthful exposure to some awesome folks stationed at the now-defunct US Nav Fac Argentia... Our family have made some life-long connections w/ now-retired servicemen of the USN.

On another note, I saw two F-14's also drop outta the clouds over Buchans one summer day. They were winging hard, left & right to try to get a handle on the town & where they must be... They were swept forward, they closed up, dropped 'em back & nailed it outta there. I can recall the echoing booming rumble coming back at different frequencies & time delays from the surrounding landscape as the pair made themselves scarce. THAT was awesome.

In each instance, the birds were heading northbound, I assume, to Goose Bay - just a guess.

Did I say that I love the USN...?

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back