Volvo S40 - 320mm or 300mm front rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping both online and with my local dealer for new rotors and pads.

I'm shopping for my 2005-S40 T5 (automatic, FWD), and my dealer can't confirm whether I have 320mm or 300mm front brake rotors. That seems odd, but they say "Just pull the wheel and measure it". From what I see online, the manual transmission model has the 320mm rotors and the automatic models have the 300mm, but the dealership says, "Well...I don't know..."

I certainly can pull a wheel and measure it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to!

smile.gif

Does anyone know which rotor size is correct?

Thank you,
Ed

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What size wheels do you have on this car? If it's 16" or less, then 320mm rotors won't even fit.
I have the optional 17" wheels.

Ed

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I'm surprised they can't look it up by the VIN number!

Yeah, me too. Maybe I should call another dealer.

frown.gif

Ed

I ran into this issue with my girlfriends car last summer. If this helps, I believe Advance Auto Part's site specifies which rotor is for which rim size.

Like an idiot, I didnt read the full descriptions and look at the other options down the page. 4 hr brake job.
27.gif

My son has a C30 T5 R Design (I believe many similar parts as your car) with similar rotor options. 300 mm were the correct size. Dealer should know what the right size is by the VIN. A few won't tell you believing you will buy from them if there is a question. Easy to measure on your own.

Pull the tire off and measure.

The reason the dealer can't give you the info is because they only know that part number ABC fits your car and their database probably doesn't have the size.

Went through this with our van last year, bit of a PITA.

The safest route with Volvo is measuring the actual rotor on yours. Other brands have very consistence rotor size for a particular model and year, Volvo is not.

When I changed the front pad of 2006 V70 last year, I found there are 2 pads for 2 rotor sizes, I had to remove the wheel to measure the rotor, it is pain in the behind but there is no other way.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Does anyone know which rotor size is correct?

300mm

I think you're correct. The parts counter employee didn't want to do the research, I guess, but the Asst. Parts Mgr. did (he looked up my VIN) and confirmed I need the 300mm.

smile.gif

Thank you all!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back