Checking API certification of PCMO.. non US

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through PQIA's website, I see they pick oils they see off US shelves and do tests on them and publish their reports so that US consumers will be aware of dodgy motor oils.
In my country, we do not have an equivalent to PQIA. We do have local oil blenders who boast about their products. 2 main players that come to mind are HARDEX and HI REV.
HI REV has been around since the mid 90s and their facilities looks good, but I still don't trust their products as well. Both HARDEX and HI REV claim their oils are API SM/SN certified . I mean why would they certify their oils if their market is so small?
Have a look at the hardex flyer below.

very dodgy, full of high flying claims, but read the disclaimer..
so is there any way for me to check if these oils are indeed API certified? I tried looking for this info in API's website but found none.
It reminds me of the post a Singaporean member made about VOA for a highly raved about Korean oil that he bought in Korea, found out it didn't have any additives at all !
I suspect these oils are dodgy too.
what are your thoughts.

Last edited:
If they're the #1 or #2 seller I'd cautiously accept that.

In the US we take the bottler's word and reputation for "Dex 3 ATF" and "All makes antifreeze" without repeating obvious fluid-related disasters happening to our cars.

If you're buying a brand name you've read about on here I'd check to see if it's imported from US/ England/ Australia etc or licensed to a local blender. Either may be fine, but the product you get may not be exactly the same.

Its not me i am worried about..its some other people who dont know any better..just want to inform them. I only use name brand oils. A dear friend of mine came to me with this brochure and insisted this is a excellent oil. I think he doesnt know any better.

The statements don't seem that crazy. No more than the statements by the US companies. No 4-ball test, no added hp.....

Originally Posted By: alcyon
I mean why would they certify their oils if their market is so small?
Because many "world" cars are required to use API certified oils by their manufacturer(s). If Hardex and HI REV want people to use their oils, they need to have the certs.

I don't like the sound of that disclaimer at the bottom. I wouldn't trust it.

You have shell helix ultra there, just use that, or any other shell product.

Let other people decide for themselves what they put in their own car.

It's dangerous ground telling others that their favorite local product is rubbish, especially if you don't know for sure. Maybe the more expensive product will take food out of their family's mouth. Who knows? Still if they ask for your view, that is different.

Anyway, It's your money, nothing wrong with using it to buy an imported product of known high quality. I don't apologize for buying imported scotch whisky. I just enjoy it.

so is there any way for me to check if these oils are indeed API certified? I tried looking for this info in API's website but found none.

Visit https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsSearch

You can use this tool to search by company name, brand, viscosity grade, specification etc.

For example: The Hardex Brand is owned by Esron Petroleum SDN BHD. and they only have 5W40 & 5W30 registered.

The Hi Rev Brand is owned by Lion Petroleum Products SDN BHD. They have many more grades registered.

These also show the original licensing date, when it was last renewed and when the current one expires.

I hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: Solarent

Visit https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsSearch

You can use this tool to search by company name, brand, viscosity grade, specification etc.

For example: The Hardex Brand is owned by Esron Petroleum SDN BHD. and they only have 5W40 & 5W30 registered.

The Hi Rev Brand is owned by Lion Petroleum Products SDN BHD. They have many more grades registered.

These also show the original licensing date, when it was last renewed and when the current one expires.

I hope that helps.

+100000. Thanks Solarent, exactly what I was looking for. HI REV seems legit, but HARDEX is still suspect to me, their website does not show their business address, even though if you click on their location. Also they seem to only have 2 oils certified, eventhough their catalog has about 20 different oils in various viscocity grades, and all of them are supposedly certified. Looks like they are riding the crest wave on the certification of 2 of their oils.
Thanks also to the others who gave their opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back