Remote vehicle hacking deemonstrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty terrifying. Those guys are idiots for shutting off the car in the middle of the highway like that.

They take high end SUV's in European countries in less than a minute. Using some wireless device. Open the doors push the start button, gone.

Hold on a second here; these two hackers were "surprised" that IP addresses can be reached from the world? Was something lost in the translation between the author and the hackers?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Hold on a second here; these two hackers were "surprised" that IP addresses can be reached from the world? Was something lost in the translation between the author and the hackers?

Probably. I'm sure they were "surprised " at the access they gained, not just that they could see the IP address.

Ya finding the IP is one thing.

Querying it and having a comeback as "Hello these ports are open for business" is another.

Apparently FCA is taking steps from Sony.

As I wondered when toyotas were accellerating all over the place, what's wrong with a mechanical switch between the battery, coils, and fuel pump?

I still wonder.
laugh.gif

It's kinda terrifying that ABS has a test/repair mode that lets the pedal go to the floor, not doing anything.

All this is okay for the younger generation because most of them endorse giving up many of their freedoms in the name of the nanny state that takes care of them. You don't need to argue the point because these younger people are electing and re-electing politicians that believe the government can do a better job of managing your life than you can do for yourself. For proof you need only look as far as the White House. Your new vehicle can be tracked, monitored and controlled and you will soon be required to behave as ordered if you are to receive your benefits (lol).

Interesting...and frightening. I wonder though how much is fact and how much is embellishment?

Further, to them it's just a video game. They're obviously blind to the fact that there is a live HUMAN driving the very car they're %^&*$'ng around with in REAL TIME! "Trust us"..."Don't panic"? They're in a basement, miles away, myopically giggling to each other...

The driver wasn't amused at all, yet stupidly placed his life and others in the hands of two nerds, oblivious to the dangers involved.

My, my..what a narcissistic age we live in.

Yeah I was pretty annoyed by that too. They about got him rear ended and ran him into a ditch, and he is supposed to trust them!?

What a couple of idiots!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
All this is okay for the younger generation because most of them endorse giving up many of their freedoms in the name of the nanny state that takes care of them. You don't need to argue the point because these younger people are electing and re-electing politicians that believe the government can do a better job of managing your life than you can do for yourself. For proof you need only look as far as the White House. Your new vehicle can be tracked, monitored and controlled and you will soon be required to behave as ordered if you are to receive your benefits (lol).

Boy you never miss a chance do you? Why don't you take your political garbage and poke it up your... well I wont say it, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Boy you never miss a chance do you? Why don't you take your political garbage and poke it up your... well I wont say it, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Did you miss something that sailed by or does the separation afforded by your posting promote your attitude?

Maybe I did? It sure looks to me like you never or hardly ever miss a chance to interject negativity about people and government, even when it's not within the scope of the conversation.

As far as my attitude is concerned and the manner I addressed you- no, the fact that there is a half a country between us isn't what "promoted" my attitude. Believe me, I would have said it to your face too.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Maybe I did? It sure looks to me like you never or hardly ever miss a chance to interject negativity about people and government, even when it's not within the scope of the conversation.

As far as my attitude is concerned and the manner I addressed you- no, the fact that there is a half a country between us isn't what "promoted" my attitude. Believe me, I would have said it to your face too.

You did not exactly say no. You inferred something that was a bit impractical but potentially very uncomfortable.

Were you bullied as a child? Were your different, somehow? Are you finally making your place in the world and coming to grips with the fact that you are now your own person. Life gets better as you grow older and wisdom becomes grace. Some people see. Others?

Embellishment is that the brakes and steering were disabled - that's not possible. Electronic power steering can be disabled along with the power brakes (when they shut the engine off) but there is still a mechanical or hydraulic link.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Embellishment is that the brakes and steering were disabled - that's not possible. Electronic power steering can be disabled along with the power brakes (when they shut the engine off) but there is still a mechanical or hydraulic link.

They said (and you can see it on the video) that they control the steering wheel at parking speed, so is there a parking itself option on this car?

As for the brakes, after considering how they could do that, I believe they went through the ABS system (the only electronic part of the brakes), but that is only guesses.

I believe they FCA have a update to prevent this.

However the Unconnect in my jeep requires you to activate the Wifi and pay out the gazoo which I cant see wasting money on, so mine is not configured for Wifi.

Jack, those folks are called Low information voters LOL

That's easy after getting into the Sony, Office of Personnel Management and NSA computers.
Nothing electronic is entirely safe from really clever geeks.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back