Independent tests of European oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Involvement in R&D by OEMs and their Third Party suppliers is ever so fruitful! Blunders occur but the OEM's don't get tainted by them and the Suppliers modify as needed - that's R&D in the field. A day or two at Goodwood or the Nurburgring in the right company shows how deep this involvement is!

Thank you, Doug. Someday, someday, I'll have sufficiently reliable staff that I'll be able to make the trips. Be careful with your comments though, lest you be characterized as having little understanding about oils, automobiles in general, or motorsports.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Mobil one takes a beater cop car and runs it as a taxi with their oil. But they don't do the same with other oils for comparison. There is no control. Is that any better? Does taxi service apply to my weekend warrior?

Well then, how about:

NASCAR?

F1?

Porsche Supercup? (Which must bear the terrible ignominy of using an oil-Mobil 1 0W-40-which is available at Walmart in 5 quart jugs)

Mobil one takes a beater cop car and runs it as a taxi with their oil. But they don't do the same with other oils for comparison. There is no control. Is that any better? Does taxi service apply to my weekend warrior?

I called that a marketing gimmick ages ago.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Someday, someday, I'll have sufficiently reliable staff that I'll be able to make the trips. Be careful with your comments though, lest you be characterized as having little understanding about oils, automobiles in general, or motorsports.
wink.gif

Drive the ring and you'll get my respect. Or you could make the much shorter trip to Mosport, Mt. Tremblant or Calabogie all fine Canadian tracks I've driven.

I can make a good argument that the wear bench tests tell the hot rodder crowd all they really need to know about the oil.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/68152/file-1...r_ball_0709.pdf

Quote:
Lucas Oil Stabilizer (32.5 pts) – The Lucas product is primarily an oil stabilizer which claims also to reduce friction and improvement oil lubricity. Unfortunately it ranked next to last in that respect. The Lucas product received average to below-average rankings in every parameter but one. The only parameter it received an above-average score in was low-pressure Non-Seizure scar (0.38 mm). However, it attained this scar only at the lower Non-Seizure Load of 63 kg, making it inferior to products like X-tra Lube (0.38 mm at 80 kg) and even Prolong (0.39 mm at 80 kg). The Lucas product also received a higher-pressure Seizure Load Scar measurement of 2.75 mm, which placed it 5th among the ten product. However, like it’s other scar, this scar was attained only at a Seizure Load level which was lower than other products – 160 kg. Lucas’ SeizureLoad Scar of 2.75 mm @ 160 kg is judged to be inferior even to the untreated base oil rating of 2.79 mm @ 200 kg. Lucas was also one of only three product (STP, MotorPurr) to attain only 200 kg for Weld Load. Lucas’ product cost of $12.00 per treatment is less than some of the other products on the list (though much higher than both X-tra Lube and STP), but its overall results seem to call into question the value of its lubrication-enhancing claims.

Versus the unadulterated oil

Quote:
5. Base Oil (27.5 pts) – The untreated 15W-40 base oil actually outperformed over half of the additized oil samples according to test criteria. The base oil performed poorly on the Load Wear Index (8th) and Non-Seizure Load but had the smallest Non-Seizure scar. This might be explained by low Non-Seizure Load (only 63 kg); however, the associated scar was still smaller than Lucas, Slick 50 and Greased Lightning at the same 63 kg low-pressure load. The base oil achieved the same high Seizure Load level and actuallyhad an associated scar that was smaller (2.79 mm) at the 200kg than all but the X-tra Lube (2.38 mm) and Prolong (2.43 mm) products. It is notable that the base oil achieved equal Seizure- and Non-Seizure Load readings as Slick 50 but produced smaller scars at both levels than that product.

Lucas...what's more important than what it doesn't do is what you imagine that it could do.

Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
the only test results that really matter are the uoa from real world testing.

UOAs that show what?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Lucas...what's more important than what it doesn't do is what you imagine that it could do.

Haha OMG.

Like all good humor it has a grain of truth that just adds to the joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back