Should I Worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my boys to Pepacton Reservoir (Catskills NY) today and while driving some prolonged grades (Rt. 17 West from Middletown NY to Rosco) my trans temp was getting to the 170's and then cooled off after the long inclines back to 156F. Normal right there as we make this trip often. Nothing in tow.

On the way home there was a 20 min 10mile n hour stop and go due to an accident ahead of us. Temy off the pavement was 98F so it was hot. My trans temp was in the upper 170's and didnt get much cooler as I drove home (granted it was hot and I was rolling 82-85.

I mostly have winter temps to base off so not sure if this is normal of if I should be a little concerned. Shifts smooth as usual and never had an issue. Pan drain every 2 years and fluid is pretty clean and bright red. Trans fluid level is good. No smell of burning.

What you think??

If it matters, engine oil temps max was 212F and mostly 204F.

Edit to add: F150 in my sig.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on getting a travel trailer so the 170's had me
cry.gif
I guess I better get use to higher once I'm hauling!

Both those transmission fluid charts are wrong and do not take in to account, for example Dexron 6 which has been tested up to 275 degrees. AT 265 degrees in the Silverado you will get a warning to cool off the transmission.

I am sure Ford is in the same ballpark. The first fluid chart posted by anonobomber has been around for at least twenty years.

How many generation of new fluids have we seen since then?

As with any fluids that encounter high stress such as heat, shearing, moisture, the fluid may need to have change intervals adjusted to ensure that there is a supply of fresh additives. As CKN noted modern fluids hold up to heat a lot better that previous formulations. The temps you are encountering should not cause your transmission any harm. I have work trucks that exceed your listed transmission temperatures and I credit short fluid change intervals for their longevity.

If that’s the Ford truck it probably has a auxiliary cooler from the factory, 160-170 is claimed to be the optimal operating temp for automatic transmissions.
Running them too cold isn’t good for them either.

The minivan in the sig lives around 150-200F on the outlet line off the transmission during the summer, 100-120 during the winter.

The tundra lives around 140F during the summer if the A/C is on, 120-130 AC off. (temp sender is on outlet line, at spin-on filter mount)

Towing on the interstate, the tundra sits right at 160. It only goes over that if:
- long hill climb
- I forget to take it out of OD

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
170s is fine.

Worry less by using a full synth ATF.

I use Synthetic. Pan drain/fill yearly (because it's easy and pretty cheap).

Originally Posted By: Trav
If that’s the Ford truck it probably has a auxiliary cooler from the factory, 160-170 is claimed to be the optimal operating temp for automatic transmissions.
Running them too cold isn’t good for them either.

It has a tow package. Regular highway driving mine sits about 154-156F but summer heat and long hills bring it up.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
just curious. how are you getting the temp readings?

I have an Edge tuner. Set to oil temp, coolant temp, and trans oil temp.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: lexus114
just curious. how are you getting the temp readings?

I have an Edge tuner. Set to oil temp, coolant temp, and trans oil temp.

thanks
wink.gif

Hey Biscut, are you still running the Maxlife in the F150? I found a thread via Google that you said you were a while back. I just made the switch on my '06 F150 and I wanted to hear your opinion on it and what intervals you are changing at?

Thanks, Landon

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Took my boys to Pepacton Reservoir (Catskills NY) today and while driving some prolonged grades (Rt. 17 West from Middletown NY to Rosco) my trans temp was getting to the 170's and then cooled off after the long inclines back to 156F. Normal right there as we make this trip often. Nothing in tow.

On the way home there was a 20 min 10mile n hour stop and go due to an accident ahead of us. Temy off the pavement was 98F so it was hot. My trans temp was in the upper 170's and didnt get much cooler as I drove home (granted it was hot and I was rolling 82-85.

I mostly have winter temps to base off so not sure if this is normal of if I should be a little concerned. Shifts smooth as usual and never had an issue. Pan drain every 2 years and fluid is pretty clean and bright red. Trans fluid level is good. No smell of burning.

What you think??

If it matters, engine oil temps max was 212F and mostly 204F.

Edit to add: F150 in my sig.

Hey Biscut, are you still running the Maxlife in the F150? I found a thread via Google that you said you were a while back. I just made the switch on my '06 F150 and I wanted to hear your opinion on it and what intervals you are changing at?

Thanks, Landon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back