Can I use in Honda GCV160 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this might be sacrilegious to some, but a buddy of mine gave me a quart of BMW 5W-30 Full Synthetic oil. Can I use this in my Honda lawnmower with the GCV160 engine? I am almost out of oil for it. I currently use Supertech 10W-30 full synthetic, and the owner's manual said I can use either 5W or 10W.

Thanks.

19875567465_898695c8cc_k.jpg

Briggs and Stratton's number 1 oil recommendation for all temperatures, in all their engines, is synthetic 5w30. I know you have a Honda, but we can sometimes compare different manufacturers when they make a very similiar product.

Synthetic 5w30 performs drastically different from conventional 5w30 in air cooled engines in the hot summer heat.

The BMW synthetic is a stout oil, and will work perfect in your GCV160. Use with confidence.

That chart above is for conventional oil. If they added synthetic 5w30 to the chart it would have a range of use from coldest possible to hottest possible(-20F to 120F)

Very nice choice.

For giggles I ran my GCV160 on first fill for just 2 hours duty. Plenty of metallic flash in it. Then did a chane twice more each every 2 hours. Flash was basically gone after third change. It was neat to see it break in. I also give it a pull or two before engaging the start bar , to splash oil on the crank.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Very nice choice.

For giggles I ran my GCV160 on first fill for just 2 hours duty. Plenty of metallic flash in it. Then did a chane twice more each every 2 hours. Flash was basically gone after third change. It was neat to see it break in. I also give it a pull or two before engaging the start bar , to splash oil on the crank.

Wouldn't that also suck fuel in too,making it more prone to deposits and flooding?

My only experience with Honda engines is the gx line. I've got 16 of them. The 160cc/5.5hp version and they run air pumps.

Never did anything special other than tc-w3 in the fuel and mos2 every second oil change. Intervals every 100 hours or 2 weeks.
Iirc the gcv has a plastic cam gear. So too thick oil might be a bad idea.
Use whatever the manufacture tells you

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Very nice choice.

Wouldn't that also suck fuel in too,making it more prone to deposits and flooding?

My only experience with Honda engines is the gx line. I've got 16 of them. The 160cc/5.5hp version and they run air pumps.

Never did anything special other than tc-w3 in the fuel and mos2 every second oil change. Intervals every 100 hours or 2 weeks.
Iirc the gcv has a plastic cam gear. So too thick oil might be a bad idea.
Use whatever the manufacture tells you

You need to put that in your signature instead of typing it every time.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Synthetic 5w30 performs drastically different from conventional 5w30 in air cooled engines in the hot summer heat.

It does ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You can use it but check the oil level more often. You're liable to get some consumption with that thin oil.

Really?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You can use it but check the oil level more often. You're liable to get some consumption with that thin oil.

The BMW oil will be thicker than your beloved 10w30 at operating temp due it's higher HT/HS of 3.5. Also being a quality synthetic, it's NOAK will be comparable or lower too, so less "burn off".

It'll work fine (overkill), but you'll have to park your lawnmower across two spaces in your garage.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I also give it a pull or two before engaging the start bar , to splash oil on the crank.

Really??? C'omon think about it, if it sucked in a couple droplets they were long gone when the engine started... Multiple changes no doubt eliminated the 1/1000th(if that) drop of oil that may have gotten by the rings...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It'll work fine (overkill), but you'll have to park your lawnmower across two spaces in your garage.
laugh.gif

Why would he need 2 parking spaces for a lawn mower ?

laugh.gif

And when your neighbor is mowing, get out there and tailgate him.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
laugh.gif

Why would he need 2 parking spaces for a lawn mower ?

It was a joke -- because he's using BMW oil -- some BMW owners park taking two or more spaces.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
296omdl.jpg

I like how they give temperature ratings down to -20F, yeah, a lot of lawn mowing is going to be getting done.

I don't start cutting my grass in the spring until the temperature hits about 50F so neither 5W or 10W will come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back