Honda Accord Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Anyone have one?

I really like how our odyssey is set up, and given that my 318i sounds to have a bad wheel bearing, Ill likely be moving on given rust and 180k miles of use. Love that car, would drive it across country tomorrow if the wheel bearing wasnt busted, but something bigger, quieter and more fuel efficient would be nice.

We still have other cars, but if the deal was right, Id consider a 50 MPG city accord hybrid. I hear they are slow sellers.

But does anyone have one? Im really interested in the absolute latest ones with the Li-ion battery. I thin theyve only been around a year or two.

Id only really be interested in the hybrid. While I think the accord sport is a great car (generally a fan of MT 4 cyl sedans), if I wanted a MT 4 cyl sedan, Ill just drive my Saab. The benefit/interest here is the 50 MPG drivetrain in a pretty decent sized sedan, that I assume is bigger than a standard Prius yet returns about the same economy.

Thanks!

Yeah I said "about the same"...
smile.gif
Im not looking to either prius bash or necessarily compare to the prius, my only thought was that unlike some of the earlier hybrid sedans which seemed to try to be a V6 with I4 MPGs, this thing is like 50 city/45 highway, which is pretty attractive to me, and somewhat near prius territory in what Id guess to be a larger car (havent really looked at any details). Im currently getting high 20s in city and mixed driving with my cars, so 50 city would nearly halve my fuel cost.

My BIL has a Prius, interior room is much smaller than my daughter 2014 Accord. If you need roomy sedan and good fuel economy then Accord Hybrid is hard to beat, but you need to drive more than 15-20k miles a year to recoup the extra cost over the EX trim in fuel cost in 5-10 years, depend on gas price.

You may need to test drive both EX trim with AT and Hybrid to compare the performance/handling, to see which you like better and if the extra cost is justified the saving in fuel.

US News seems to like 2015 Accord Hybrid, they rank the car at #1 in both hybrid and family sedan classes.

Quote:
The four-cylinder engine and electric motor that propel the 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid produce both good power off the line and quick acceleration for a hybrid midsize car, critics say. They also like the automatic transmission because it makes the best use of the Accord Hybrid's available power. The hybrid's fuel economy is outstanding, getting an EPA-estimated 50/45 mpg city/highway.
The 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid's interior uses high-quality materials and is well-built, spacious, and visually appealing.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_Accord-Hybrid/

No clue about the hybrid but I've got a 2015 accord and it's amazing. 42mpg on the highway consistently, smooth manual transmission and plenty of interior space. Putting around the city I average 28-30 mpg.

My best friend has a 2014 Hybrid. He loves it. Drives it all over the country....like from Detroit to San Fran, from the Grand Canyon to Key West and back to Detroit....he loves to drive and into his early retirement.

He LOVES the car.

He returns 50+ mpg's on the highway. What he also loves about the car is that in the morning when he runs into town to get some coffee and read the paper, the gasoline engine never kicks on. It's a 3 mile jaunt into town. He can go get groceries and most of the time the engine never turns on. So, short trips like this are perfect for this car for EXTRA fuel savings.

I'm considering trading in my 2010 Accord for a new hybrid.

I've only test driven the hybrid. A friend owns an Accord sport 6 speed manual which I like immensely. They drive quite similarly.

However, the 6 speed manual is considerably more fun (in my opinion) due to the responsive engine and manual transmission.

Both cars drive and handle the same. The cornering and ride are excellent. The sport has sportier tires and I'd expect a touch more grip in the corners, but I was not able to push the Hybrid in corners to find out. I believe any difference here is simply due to tires.

The Hybrid's trunk is considerably smaller, with no pass through. Even so, it's big enough for plenty of stuff. I don't see a problem with the trunk size.

I did feel the hybrid drivetrain to feel like, well, a hybrid. The engine starts and stops and you can hear that. Does not bother me a bit. It's a very quiet car.

Outright acceleration is acceptable. The 6 speed manual is clearly faster feeling. However, I'm not at all sure there is a real world difference. The hybrid simply accelerates more smoothly.

If in the market, would I purchase one as a family car? You bet. I'd choose between the Camry Hybrid or Accord Hybrid, and probably give the nod to the Accord. Mostly for the "fun to drive" aspect of the Accord. The Camry Hybrid does not get quite as much MPG either.

Last edited:
My daughter was looking at an Accord hybrid. At the time she owned a Civic hybrid. While she was looking the Civic got recalled and they updated the computer system because they were having premature battery failures. The upgrade took away the mileage advantage she once had. She felt that Honda betrayed her and the dealer attitude was that if she upgraded to the Accord that the resale value of her Civic would take a big hit because they knew the mileage advantage was gone. Before this problem became common knowledge she quickly traded in the Civic hybrid for a turbo Hyundai. No more hybrids for her. She did not want to take the chance that after getting the Accord hybrid that the same thing might happen, again.

Sometimes one small event can have a great impact.

If you decide to move into hybrid territories, you will have some testing to do as they are more and more offers on the market:

- Ford fusion hydrid (exists alos in plug in form I believe),
- Hyundai Sonata hybrid (new model for this year, including a plug in option), so previous gen could have a good incentive on the 2015,
- Kia optima hybrid,
- obviously the Toyota Camry hybrid.

The question is also if you need a normal intermediate trunk size or a comparable compact trunk size is enough for your needs.

If you want more testings, you may venture to try the Chevrolet Volt (next gen coming out in August, so could have a good incentive on the 2015), which is more of compact size and only for 4 people, and then the priis.

Good thing with the volts is the 40 miles electric range, so if your commute is less than 20 miles one way, you can be fuel free for the work weeks, and still got a hybrid car for longer travel days.

Have fun in your search and keep us updated please.

The reality is that I own eight cars right now. Ill be likely getting rid of one, but even still, three of the remaining cars will be MT.

While I think the accord sport is an awesome car, if I want a 4 cyl MT sedan, Ill keep and drive my saab, which will make far more torque off the line and returns 34 MPG+ as-is.

The allure is the 50 M)G hybrid which seems to be a slow seller and available for good deals right now (that may be wrong).

Im really not interested in any other variant of the accord, as I have plenty of other cars to do whatever I choose.

Might I get rid of some if I buy a new one? Perhaps. My current routine driver, my 318i probably has a smaller trunk than the accord hybrid and no pass through, while our other cars have split or fold way seats (including a minivan).

So Im really interested only in the accord hybrid and its characteristics and ownership stories.

Originally Posted By: Pesca

Have fun in your search and keep us updated please.

I happened to pass a Honda dealer in my travels tonight and so I stopped in. They had a hybrid right out front - a nice maroon touring model ($$$).

Inside they had a regular variant with a sunroof. I got in and no matter how low I put the seat, my head was always touching or brushing the headliner right at the frame for the sunroof. Very annoying (Im 6ft 4 or 5).

Tried the hybrid touring, just on the hope that maybe it was set up slightly different in the floor pan. Same deal.

So sunroof is a non-starter from a fit perspective. That would mean going with the base hybrid model, which is still nicely set up, and just doesnt have leather and a sunroof. Id probably miss the sunroof, though it isnt a good fit for me. The leather? meh, wouldnt matter, though I think only the leather seats have heaters.

So Im starting to become lukewarm to the whole thing. The dealer only had fancy ones, I dont REALLY need a car, though if Im getting rid of one, the option to trade another one or two in was part of the reason why I was exploring it.

The reality is that I really like our Saab and VW, and will probably just drive them to very high mileage or some condemning factor.

But on my short list of cars that Ill consider next time are the following in no order:

Accord Hybrid
Passat TDI SE MT
MB E250 Diesel
Lexus RX 450h

And who knows what else may come along. If there was a perfect situation and deal for an accord hybrid, Id entertain it, but it has to be one without a sunroof...

Thats all for now.

If you're not in a hurry why not wait a couple years to see if Tesla Model 3 will fit your needs. I don't know if Tesla is allowed to sell cars in New Jersey or not.

I may well do that. Despite doing a lot of work in large battery system engineering, Im not necessarily 100% sold on pure EVs yet...

Quote:
Love that car, would drive it across country tomorrow if the wheel bearing wasnt busted,
You really did not mean that, did you? You are buying a new car because your current car needs a wheel bearing??

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Love that car, would drive it across country tomorrow if the wheel bearing wasnt busted,
You really did not mean that, did you? You are buying a new car because your current car needs a wheel bearing??

Comprehension, my friend.

First post, second sentence of the first full paragraph.

The fact of a decent rust presence on this car has been shown to the board for years.

I've been plenty of information about what cars I have and what I want to do. My reasoning for getting a new car really isn't anyone's business beyond what I've stated.

I'm on a 500 mile trip in the 318 right now BTW. So I stand by my words but it's just not worth the expense of replacing the wheel bearing on a car that has a substantial amount of rust underneath.

Sorry; that is completely stupid and I am pointing out regardless of your attitude about it.

I can understand somebody deferring to not fix the wheel bearing and continue to drive the car when they are in financially dire situation. I personally would fix the wheel bearing whether I am buying a new car next month or next year.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I may well do that. Despite doing a lot of work in large battery system engineering, Im not necessarily 100% sold on pure EVs yet...

There are some advantages and disadvantages of EV vehicles compares with hybrid and conventional gas/diesel vehicles.

Each individual needs are different, so you need to analyze your needs to decide which type meets yours best.

In my case, Model 3 with 200 miles range is more than adequate for our needs, we may go down to San Diego about 75-80 miles 1 way once a month, and we have more than 1 conventional car for long distance travel if needed.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Sorry; that is completely stupid and I am pointing out regardless of your attitude about it.

I can understand somebody deferring to not fix the wheel bearing and continue to drive the car when they are in financially dire situation. I personally would fix the wheel bearing whether I am buying a new car next month or next year.

Every opinion I have read on bum wheelbearings is that they will drive you nuts long before they get dire. For some reason I doubt the OP has been driving for years with a bad bearing.

Makes sense to me to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back