Jules Bianchi: 1989-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
First since Senna to die directly from a race incident. Made worse that it wasn't a true race incident but from bad decisions made by the race organizers.

He was probably going to be in a Haas F1 seat next year (ie Ferrari 2 team) and may have even had a crack at the Ferrari team itself.

What a waste

I watched the Senna incident live on TV back in 94 during that awful weekend. Sickening then and so is this. My wife and I had both been hoping and praying for this kid. It touched us somehow more than others. Don't know why. Maybe because it seemed so senseless.

For me the question that still remains is why the Clerk of the Course and the Race Director allowed such a heavy recovery vehicle onto the circuit before a safety car had been deployed and completed it's function in gathering the field at a safe speed?

There were double yellow flags instead which mean:

- Two flags waved simultaneously denotes a hazard that wholly or partly blocks the racing surface. This informs the driver that there may be marshals on the track and to prepare to stop, if necessary.

For some reason Bianchi failed to slow down and lost control of his car in the wet. According to FIA documents his speed at the time of impact was 212 km/h ie. 132 mph.

Yep, it was sad, but Finn's assessment is correct, I believe. Had the recovery equipment not gone out there, would Bianchi have just piled into Sutil's car? Would that have resulted in any better outcome?

Originally Posted By: Finn
There were double yellow flags instead which mean:

- Two flags waved simultaneously denotes a hazard that wholly or partly blocks the racing surface. This informs the driver that there may be marshals on the track and to prepare to stop, if necessary.

For some reason Bianchi failed to slow down and lost control of his car in the wet. According to FIA documents his speed at the time of impact was 212 km/h ie. 132 mph.

It was very dark and raining if I recall, and someone before him nearly went off there too. So he probably missed the yellows and the team didn't radio in time.
I guess it was a rookie mistake and it's a shame he didn't get away with it.

As I said though that recovery vehicle should not have been there. An impact with Sutil's car, if it had happened, would not have been anywhere close to that severity.

That recovery vehicle had no place there at that time. And in itself was the direct cause of Jules Bianchi's death. Not any mistake of Bianchi himself. Those cars should have ALL been off that track several laps before the incident ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back