Blemish on Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

The 1981 10/22 (never fired) stock has a small dried out patch on the stock. Not interested in spending more than a couple minutes on it. I have most of the usual products including real tungoil. I think I was only going to put some regular gun or other oil on it. I know an old timer who only uses oily rags on his stocks. He is a collector/seller. His stuff looks great.

Thanks

1_IMG_2979.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
I would use an oily rag. Rub on it for a minute or so, then let it sit. Repeat the process a couple of times a week. I'll bet it disappears in a month or so.

That's what I did. For better or worse, I use remoil so doing the stock with it makes sense. If its good enough for the 80 y.o. collector I guess its good enough for me.

Gun oil can soften and weaken wood. I have seem many a screwed up SxS and O/U stocks degraded from it.

I would rub on some boiled linseed oil or tung oil.

On the light spot I would try some Old English scratch cover or, fine steel wool and rub the dark area out to match the light wood. The problem is when the stock was finished they didn't use pre-stain sealer, the open pored grain soaked up the stain more than the tight grain wood. Use light coat of tung oil to seal the stock.

I know that's more than the couple of minutes you wanted to spend...what the heck...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will keep the oil softening thing in mind and use a bit of tungoil.

Thanks much.

Originally Posted By: Al
Thanks guys. I will keep the oil softening thing in mind and use a bit of tungoil.

Thanks much.

Likely not a HUGE issue on a 22 with almost zilch recoil, but I don't like to use any oil on wood that will not harden. Unless we are talking butchers blocks....those only get mineral oil.

The stock on my bought new, but well used 10-22 looks much better than that.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
The stock on my bought new, but well used 10-22 looks much better than that.

The rest of the stock is beautiful. Its just that one are. And on the grand scheme of thing it matters not.

Be aware that medium-dark brown color is sprayed on, the underlying wood is white. If the Tung Oil or other chosen finish is not as dark, you'll just be preserving the color difference.

Most likely the discoloration was due to unfinished end grain on the inlet side absorbing oil. I would suggest degreasing with acetone and french whiting and sealing the inside of the stock as part of the refinishing process.

@HangFire..I have every reason to believe you are right. Just not worth the trouble to me. I know I did ask though..lol
Thanks for answering..I do appreciate it. It may help me down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back