Sausage flew off pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen anything like this? Sorry no video.

We reheated a takeaway pizza. After it was taken out, and not straight away, a piece of sausage flew into the air and onto the floor.

I saw it with my own eyes.

Do I have a pizza ghost or was this some sort of perfect storm of fat concentration and aerodynamics?

it's like popcorn, sometimes the last kernel popping might happen after the microwave is off.

Alternatively, there are conditions where a microwave can superheat water past boiling, and only a trigger starts the boiling process.

Chances are slim this is what happened to your sausage, because the conditions to get this involve consistent and clean water without nucleation points, whereas a sausage is pretty much a giant nucleation point.

It was reheated in the oven if that makes any difference.

Plus we're talking about a small piece of Italian sausage - the pizza topping kind. Indeed large popcorn size.

Sorry if I gave the impression that a huge sausage went flying through the air!

I've superheated water in a microwave once. It leapt out and hit my face. This was in a previous house. Do you think the ghost has followed us?

One time when I was taking out a pizza from the oven it slide thru the rack and it was a mess trying to save it.

Mexican Jumping Sausage? Like Mexican Jumping Beans?

Can I say that anymore??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did you toss the piece of sausage or put it back onto the pizza where it belonged?

That depends if he used the 5 second rule or not.

Water (from just about anywhere) boiled beneath the disc of sausage.

The rim (edge) of the disc held on as the pressure built.

The pressure continued to build (via carryover heat-even if you had removed it from the oven).

You simply enjoyed a coincidence of timing. When the rim let go, you saw it.

Happened all the time when I worked at a Pizza Hut in Missouri. We jokingly called them "wadcutters" (a loose nod to ammunition). Kira

There is always that one piece of sausage that just won't take it lying down.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did you toss the piece of sausage or put it back onto the pizza where it belonged?

I was so shocked and paralyzed by fear of ghost that I barely managed to utter the information to my wife. She picked it up and threw it away before I was able to recover.

But I stole some sausage from her slices later.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Mexican Jumping Sausage? Like Mexican Jumping Beans?

Can I say that anymore??
21.gif

You can say anything you want!

Originally Posted By: Kira
Water (from just about anywhere) boiled beneath the disc of sausage.

The rim (edge) of the disc held on as the pressure built.

The pressure continued to build (via carryover heat-even if you had removed it from the oven).

You simply enjoyed a coincidence of timing. When the rim let go, you saw it.

Happened all the time when I worked at a Pizza Hut in Missouri. We jokingly called them "wadcutters" (a loose nod to ammunition). Kira

Hmmm, you get more and more intriguing every day!

From good old American Pizzas in Missouri to "Theatre" in London and messy oil changes in between.

blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back