Which micro fiber cloths do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get some new ones. I picked up some from Wal-Mart and I don't really care for them (they seem to leave some sort of lint on the finish when I use them for drying). What is a good brand, and where do you buy them? Thanks.

I get the bulk packs at Sam's Club or BJs. They're inexpensive and do as good of a job as I need. They may be the same as what's at Wal-Mart, I'm not sure. If so...then you can disregard this comment...
wink.gif

From Amazon, either AmazonBasics or Zwipes.

Curiously, quality varies from batch to batch on both, as you can see in the reviews. I've had good luck, though. If you get any brand with lint, return it for a full refund! The whole point is avoiding lint!

I think the key to micro fiber cloths is to buy a whole bunch.

Soak and wash them after each use with a residue-free detergent like Atsko SportWash, don't ruin them by putting them through a hot drier. The nylon micro fibers melt together and they are never as absorbent again. Then, move them down the chain from windshield, body, grease rag, to trash. I start cleaning auto glass with my second-best (once washed) and then finish with a new one.

When you use the last new one to finish cleaning your windshield, order a new batch, even if you have a bunch of used ones around, and start finding reasons to throw away the worst of the old ones (grease rag, cleaning pet misadventures, etc.)

I bought a bunch from BJ's for a really good price. I will be buying more next time I go.

Still buying used Baby Diapers from the Diaper Service. 100% cotton and as soft as you can get; won't damage *any* surface including soft ones like 24ct Gold.

I know just about everyone has jumped on the microfibre bandwagon but all man-made fibres scratch the surface they are used on (even if those scratches are very fine, which is MF's excuse) and are poor at absorbtion compared to natural fibres.

Just an old Luddite who isn't convinced there is an improvement.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Fr Then, move them down the chain from windshield, body, grease rag, to trash. I start cleaning auto glass with my second-best (once washed) and then finish with a new one.

When you use the last new one to finish cleaning your windshield, order a new batch, even if you have a bunch of used ones around, and start finding reasons to throw away the worst of the old ones (grease rag, cleaning pet misadventures, etc.)

That is what I do with mine, too. I run my dryer only on medium and it hasn't seem to shorten their lifespan by much. I used to hang them all, but I found it not to be worth the extra effort.

The Rag Company

Good pricing, lots of Korean towels to choose from, free shipping over $30, sales every 2-3 weeks, and they always throw in a freebie towel of some sort with each order.

+1 above.

I've been happy with the Vroom orange microfibers from Target. Been using the same ones the past 11 years. I do plan on retiring them soon and my replacements will come from The Rag Company.

Last edited:
I don't like the Costco nor Sam's Club ones because they are 16x16.

I get from Amazon the Meguiar's X2020 (a 16x24 size 3-pack), or the X2000 (a big 22x30, waffle-weave).

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
The Rag Company

Good pricing, lots of Korean towels to choose from, free shipping over $30, sales every 2-3 weeks, and they always throw in a freebie towel of some sort with each order.

+ 1

Funny this came up, I just placed an order from them!

Another vote for "The Rag Company".

Most microfiber towels are made in china, the Eagle borderless from The Rag Company is made in Korea and is far superior.

Run your hand across your microfiber, if it feels like it 'catches' a little its an inferior towel. I didn't believe it at first, but there was clearly a difference between my cheap MF and my TRC microfibers.

Another major factor was good customer service, fast turn around

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Still buying used Baby Diapers from the Diaper Service. 100% cotton and as soft as you can get; won't damage *any* surface including soft ones like 24ct Gold.

I know just about everyone has jumped on the microfibre bandwagon but all man-made fibres scratch the surface they are used on (even if those scratches are very fine, which is MF's excuse) and are poor at absorbtion compared to natural fibres.

I'm going to politely disagree. Not with your diapers, as I've not used them, but about MF. Any decent MF will not scratch. Period. Used them on the most delicate surfaces without any scratching. As far as absorbency, square inch for inch, MF will absorb more, in my experience. I use MF for everything. Cars, house, at work. For me, they simply outperform cotton.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

I'm going to politely disagree. Not with your diapers, as I've not used them, but about MF. Any decent MF will not scratch. Period. Used them on the most delicate surfaces without any scratching. As far as absorbency, square inch for inch, MF will absorb more, in my experience. I use MF for everything. Cars, house, at work. For me, they simply outperform cotton.

I've seen arguments for both sides, though I can't comment on diapers as I've never used them. I will say I've been using MF for years and I've never seen them scratch...if they do it's so minute that it's not visible to the naked eye (and I use them on black paint, if that doesn't show them, nothing will)...I have noticed that some work better than others though and when I buy them it seems to be hit and miss...sometimes I get good ones, other times not so much...I guess I'm just trying to find a source so that I can get good ones every time I buy them...

Quick questions, during prime days I got a few microfiber towels from TRC.

I bought the 10 pack of microfiber suede cloths in the idea that I can use this to apply a LSP of sealant like BFWD. Will this work ok or an I better off with a foam applicator or Microfiber applicator? Also I don't use a machine to add sealants/waxes, I like to do that step by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back