top tier gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco is on the list, so you don't have to spend too much money on gas
smile.gif

I just noticed a sign at a Valero a couple weeks ago that said it was top tier. Does Valero use the same formula as one of the major players (Exxon, Shell, BP) or do they have their own blend? I always thought Valero was a discount station that focused on lowest price.

I've tried the so called top tier gas and had my car ping whereas I'd fill up with the cheap stuff and I got no ping. I think gas is gas. It's all marketing imo.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
I just noticed a sign at a Valero a couple weeks ago that said it was top tier. Does Valero use the same formula as one of the major players (Exxon, Shell, BP) or do they have their own blend? I always thought Valero was a discount station that focused on lowest price.

Dunno but must be similar enough as its on the list

If you can get Costco gas it's a good deal. Cheap price, top tier, they change the inline filters often and in the case of our local Costco they tank up 4 to 6 times every day. To me that means less contamination from an under ground storage tank.

The downside is that you have to fill up during their off hours to avoid waiting in line.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've tried the so called top tier gas and had my car ping whereas I'd fill up with the cheap stuff and I got no ping. I think gas is gas. It's all marketing imo.
I agree in the marketing. The stations around here that claim top tier are ones that used to have junk gas. So they claim it now to be top tier to get rid of the negative perception of their name. I actually get worse gas mileage with the "top tier". I thought I was making that up in my head until I talked to several others about it and they agreed with me. I told my wife to start getting gas where I was and her mileage went up.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
That's great.

LOL.

I use Mobil or Sunoco, whatever is most convenient to stop at. Both are good brands, even though Sunoco isn't on the TT list they still pride themselves on selling quality gasoline. I also like how clean their stations always are.

Last edited:
I try to use BP or Shell fuels exclusively in the BMWs and the Mazdaspeed; the Jeep gets whatever is least expensive.

I noticed the Top Tier label on a Valero pump today.

I had 4 choices:

87, 89 & 93 with up to 10% Ethanol and
90 Ethanol free being the most expensive.

First time I noticed 4 options.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Old news, but we can always use a reminder. The link should be a sticky, if you ask me.

I figured as much but it's fairly new to me
smile.gif

I like to check the link every once in a while. Even up here, there are always updates. Our Co-ops recently went Top Tier, which is pretty good news, given their market penetration in rural areas.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I like to check the link every once in a while. Even up here, there are always updates. Our Co-ops recently went Top Tier, which is pretty good news, given their market penetration in rural areas.

I saw the name on a recent trip to BC. The name kind of scared me off because they sounded like some membership club (think Costco).

Also - is there some sort of regulated price-fixing up there? When we were on the BC mainland, all the gas stations were showing the exact same pricing. Then when we got to Vancouver Island, the prices were lower, but strangely exactly the same everywhere. We never refueled anyways. We waited until we got back to the US. Couldn't figure out the conversion and figured it was probably cheaper in Washington anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back