Mustang convertible top

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to keep this short but with all info. Going out of state to pick up a 1996 Mustang GT convertible I used to own, will be doing u-joints and vert top before returning. The top is being replaced with a complete assembly out of a "terminator" Cobra but I am looking for any tips or advice to make the swap go smoother. Specifically are there any tools I will need besides a stable gun? What is the best staple type and size (I will likely just take a few out and compare at hardware store)? Do I need any extra parts like the rear tack strip (front shouldnt be an issue as the replacement top is fully assembled)?

Thanks a ton for anyone who can provide insight, this is not the type of project I want to undertake while traveling!

I've heard convertible top jobs are quite complex. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. Will you be replacing/renewing hydraulics and whatnot?

Hopefully not! Should be plug and play but it would be nice to flush the system with new atf. Fill plug is plastic not reusable though. Plus no idea how to drain.

Best google the top replacement procedure, it is usually not impossible to DIY but with each make / model there are tricks and pitfalls to avoid.

Just for starters ... Does your new top come with a replacement Rain Rail? If you don't know what that is, you haven't researched this enough.

Me, personally, I let the Upholstery Shop do mine. About $400 labor and looks right, leaks right (as in not at all ) and sounds right (as in no air leaks at speed). Ask the Hot Rodders in your area which one to go to.

This is a complete take off top assembly. Found the r&r in the Chilton online library and looks doable. Still not sure about staples for the rear tack strip.

Originally Posted By: buck91
This is a complete take off top assembly. Found the r&r in the Chilton online library and looks doable. Still not sure about staples for the rear tack strip.

Doing it on a weekend? If not the local Upholsterer will have your staples.

Or check the vintage Mustang forums, they will know.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Best google the top replacement procedure, it is usually not impossible to DIY but with each make / model there are tricks and pitfalls to avoid.

Just for starters ... Does your new top come with a replacement Rain Rail? If you don't know what that is, you haven't researched this enough.

Me, personally, I let the Upholstery Shop do mine. About $400 labor and looks right, leaks right (as in not at all ) and sounds right (as in no air leaks at speed). Ask the Hot Rodders in your area which one to go to.

+1 This

I can't tell how many shlock jobs I have seen on this subject. Your questions indicate you have no experience with this. Let the guys who do this for a living handle it - even they often make mistakes or take shortcuts. Bite the bullet, find out who does a good job. No two jobs are exactly alike even for the same model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back