Looking to buy a 2008 IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
I'll add a TSX or a TL to the IS350 list.

My mother in law has had two Acura TLs. A 2004 model and her current 2010 model. Nice cars, and I love a Honda V-6, but neither were good driving cars to me. They're FWD and trying to compete in a RWD segment. They drive similar to my old '01 Cadillac STS. Damping is artificially high to combat understeer, so the ride is sort of junk. But they're still FWD, and you can overcome only so much physics with struts and springs.

I like a FWD car as much as anyone else, but only if they're honest with the chassis tuning and not trying to trick it into acting like something it's not. Neither of my current FWD-based vehicles tries to pretend that it's FWD. And they work. To me, that's the big difference between the TL and the Accord on which it's based.

I have a lexus is250. Bought it a month ago.
Love the car except its compact. A civic and corolla is more roomy.
Car is refined and very smooth and i got 30.5 mpg on my last tank. is250 is plenty powerful, only time you'll need the power of a 350 is well, never.

Ride is a little harsh but you get a great handling car. It is not numb feeling like previous generation lexus's

Get the car you want, not the car other people suggest instead of this and that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
I have a lexus is250. Bought it a month ago.
Love the car except its compact. A civic and corolla is more roomy.
Car is refined and very smooth and i got 30.5 mpg on my last tank. is250 is plenty powerful, only time you'll need the power of a 350 is well, never.

Ride is a little harsh but you get a great handling car. It is not numb feeling like previous generation lexus's

Get the car you want, not the car other people suggest instead of this and that.

Like he said....it has a great road feel. I found the Camry a bit numb (but that's it's purpose I suppose). I joined up over at Club Lexus and found some great info there as well. The IS feels very, very well balanced!

Wait, car for your son? As in 16? Or graduation present?

Give him the '89 Prelude and a pat on the back. Let him buy his first Acura or Lexus and he'll appreciate it that much more.

Have one since new. I'd say the carbon build up on the intake valve is the biggest concern. Currently mine is at 87k miles and in the dealer for an engine rebuild for that (piston and they probably found the camshaft actuator assembly worn too).

If it is a good deal I'd get it, yes you have to plan the maintenance like walnut shell blasting for the intake valves again later on, and probably an oil catch can after the carbon build it repair is done and expired. It is fairly reliable other than that. I haven't done any warranty work other than recalls (like redesigned floor mat, redesigned gas pedal, fuel line gaskets, dusty brake pads) because it is just that well build.

The leather of the seat is so comfortable, I don't see anything as good for less than 50k new.

The rattle issue was the cam gear recall. There were several other recalls for this car including a fuel rail issue and a fuel pressure gasket. Register at www.mylexus.com and enter the VIN# of this car to get a detailed list of what has been done at a Lexus/Toyota center. Also, if the tranny fluid has not been changed at 90,000, please change it or have it changed, The WS fluid is not lifetime and the fluid loses major viscosity after 75-80k. Also remove oil filter panel under car and look midway up engine block on passenger side at the timing chain cover for oil leaking. These are leaking on the IS and GS and the engine must be dropped in order to fix it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burny
The rattle issue was the cam gear recall. There were several other recalls for this car including a fuel rail issue and a fuel pressure gasket. Register at www.mylexus.com and enter the VIN# of this car to get a detailed list of what has been done at a Lexus/Toyota center. Also, if the tranny fluid has not been changed at 90,000, please change it or have it changed, The WS fluid is not lifetime and the fluid loses major viscosity after 75-80k. Also remove oil filter panel under car and look midway up engine block on passenger side at the timing chain cover for oil leaking. These are leaking on the IS and GS and the engine must be dropped in order to fix it. Good luck.

That's one thing I like about Lexus. With their VIN you can find out a lot about a car. I know of no other manufacturer that will allow you to get so much info from a VIN. I just finished my 3rd drain and refill of the Tranny in my '05 LS430 with Amsoil WS. I just measured what drained out and replaced it with the same fresh amount of fresh fluid. I agree nothing in this world lasts forever.

I'll check for the oil leak if we get a 250. Does the 350 have the same leaking problem there?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wait, car for your son? As in 16? Or graduation present?

Give him the '89 Prelude and a pat on the back. Let him buy his first Acura or Lexus and he'll appreciate it that much more.

Oh, I'm way ahead of you. My wife and I bought both our children their first cars. $5,000 max.

After that, they have bought them all. The Prelude and the 4 Runner are both my son's and he saved and didn't even have to finance either one. When he (27 years old) gets his "new" car, we are gonna buy the 4Runner back from him. Since I have been doing the maintenance (he pays for materials no labor) I know what kind of condition it's in....

I love doing the maintenance and can't wait to change oil, coolant, tranny, gear box, rear in, brake fluid,...
I'm with you 100%
cool.gif

Last edited:
11.gif

My brother wanted an IS, but it was way too small inside. Ended up with a TL 6spd that he has over 250k on. I've seen the ATX TL 3.2L pull 32 mpg for roadtrips when we drove 75mph - while not RWD and super sporty, they make nice cruisers.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Lexus are pretty bomb proof, but I'd still get the car with the bigger motor.

I have not driven that model but I suspect the IS250 is like the 4 pot BMW's, you floor it and blah, it pulls like a Camry.

Like a 280 HP box stock V6 Camry?

Perhaps he appreciates rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive Accords and Camrys. Those cars handle very well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Lexus are pretty bomb proof, but I'd still get the car with the bigger motor.

I have not driven that model but I suspect the IS250 is like the 4 pot BMW's, you floor it and blah, it pulls like a Camry.

Like a 280 HP box stock V6 Camry?

The IS250 doesn't have a 3.5L V-6 like the Camry has. It has its little cousin, a 205 hp 2.5L V-6.

It should outperform a 4-cyl Camry, but it probably wouldn't keep up with a V-6 Camry...not in a straight line, anyway.

Well, he decided....He's getting an 350.

Thanks for all your input! It helped us make a decision.

congrats--- I think either would be a great-handling, fun, and unique car to have. I'm a big fan of rwd.

Well, he did it. He got a CPO 2009 IS350. Next comes the payments. This is the first car he's bought with payments attached. He said it was the second best birthday of his life. He said his best birthday was when he got his dachshund at 17. Interesting.....

Thanks for all your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back