My Dad died this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the call from the hospice social worker this morning while I was in church. My Dad was 85, and would have been 86 this month. He was hospitalized with a gall bladder attack in April, and was moved from the hospital to an assisted living facility, and we made hospice arrangements at that time. So we knew this day would come, but of course we didn't know when. He had numerous organs failing, and was too weak for surgery.

The hard part has been watching him fade away for the last year or so. He was a vibrant, energetic man, always working in his garden or out playing music somewhere. He didn't have Alzheimer's, but was losing his memory at a pretty good rate. Every once in a while he would forget who I was, but not often. I was pretty much the most important person in his life after my Mom passed several years ago. Fortunately, my kids and I all visited him during the last week.

They told me he passed peacefully, without pain, for which I am thankful.

Feel for you man... I've been there too. I will keep you in my prayers. I pray that the good Lord helps give your family peace, healing and grace for the time ahead.
Every holiday, birthday, and even events or songs will bring memories back. Allow yourself the time to smile, laugh and cry. It's OK to do that. In fact... It's a good thing.

So sorry to hear, my condolences
frown.gif

It is something I haven't been through yet, but feel so sad after reading this post. I am sorry about your loss.

My father is beginning to lose some of his memory, and can only imagine how you have felt.

I don't know what it's like when a father dies, so I can only offer this: remember all the good times, and don't focus the last few months. You sound like a wonderful son; you visited him during his last year - with an illness that some people would just wait until it was over to avoid feeling awkward or sad. And your family also visited, as well. He must of been well loved.

I am sad to hearabout your loss. My did died in 2008 and my mom died this March . It is not pretty. Be strong.

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
It is something I haven't been through yet, but feel so sad after reading this post. I am sorry about your loss.

My father is beginning to lose some of his memory, and can only imagine how you have felt.

I don't know what it's like when a father dies, so I can only offer this: remember all the good times, and don't focus the last few months. You sound like a wonderful son; you visited him during his last year - with an illness that some people would just wait until it was over to avoid feeling awkward or sad. And your family also visited, as well. He must of been well loved.

I wouldn't call myself a wonderful son by any means. But I will say that he needed me. He was always a little eccentric, and as he got older, he became more eccentric. I understood him. Also, he was the best Dad he knew how to be, I owed him nothing less. No parent is perfect, and of course he had his flaws, but once you have kids of your own, you understand your parents a lot better. I also have a very supportive and loving wife who has been more helpful than I can describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back