Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent most of this past weekend at the Car Craft Summernationals here in Milwaukee, WI. On top of a huge car show there was a chassis dyno along with Midnight Drags at nearby Great Lakes Dragway. As a long time car guy, I was stunned to see a new Hellcat show up and rip off 731 rear wheel horsepower. Then, at the drags, I saw it make several back to back 10.57 ET's at just a shade over 131 MPH. In the eliminations, he raced a 540 big block Nova belonging to a buddy of mine. The hellcat was able to run the Nova down on the top end. This was with DOT stickies, but thru the mufflers. I am just floored to see a brand new car that idles like a baby, meets emissions and is not that light with this kind of performance. Superchargers rule. Oh and it says 5W-50 on the oil fill cap.

Technology is awesome :):)....it prob wasnt stock...i think the 707 hp is at the flywheel..prob bout 550rwhp or so in stock trim and real high 10's with a DOT street slick..impressive cars no matter:)....

The Hellcat is impressive to be sure (so are the first 3 cars in your stable). If I had been able to find a Hellcat at a decent price I would have traded my Challenger R/T for one. As it was I ended up with a 2015 Stingray. For a car with a NA 460 HP engine it has impressive performance. I had a Supercharged 2012 Shelby GT 500 with 90 more HP than the C7. The C7 outperforms the Shelby in every category (0-60, 1/4 mile, top end, and on the track).

I love the classics in your signature, but I truly think that we are currently living in the Golden Age of high performance cars. I plan to enjoy it while I can...

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
I spent most of this past weekend at the Car Craft Summernationals here in Milwaukee, WI. On top of a huge car show there was a chassis dyno along with Midnight Drags at nearby Great Lakes Dragway. As a long time car guy, I was stunned to see a new Hellcat show up and rip off 731 rear wheel horsepower. Then, at the drags, I saw it make several back to back 10.57 ET's at just a shade over 131 MPH. In the eliminations, he raced a 540 big block Nova belonging to a buddy of mine. The hellcat was able to run the Nova down on the top end. This was with DOT stickies, but thru the mufflers. I am just floored to see a brand new car that idles like a baby, meets emissions and is not that light with this kind of performance. Superchargers rule. Oh and it says 5W-50 on the oil fill cap.

Were these the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials (hopefully much wider than stock)??
Was the launch pad/60' prepped?

Tires on the Challenger were Hoosier DOT tires, jut a touch wider than stock. Rules required DOT tires and mufflers for all. But I did see M/T, Nitto and M&H DOT tires all being used. The track was lightly sprayed (60') with compound, but not super preparation like a major event.

The local dealer has one and I offered him dealer invoice for it and he said no and I said not paying any more than that. There are some incredible cars being offered by the bif 3 these days. I kinda like the new Kawasaki H2 but after my last horse crash I don't ride things I can fall of of. I am at that age.I thought we would never see the performance of the late 1960s vehicles ever but was I fooled.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The local dealer has one and I offered him dealer invoice for it and he said no and I said not paying any more than that. .

I'll bet they laughed you out of the room. Who would ask invoice price on a Hellcat? Don't do that.

About speed, a car using no gasoline at all is as fast: Tesla P85D: 0-60 2.8s, 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds, no 0w-50 on no oil cap......

Did you happen to see a pair of 69 Chevelles? I know those guys. Black one has a 565 aluminum race block. Too many horsepowers for street tires
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: CT8
The local dealer has one and I offered him dealer invoice for it and he said no and I said not paying any more than that. .

I'll bet they laughed you out of the room. Who would ask invoice price on a Hellcat? Don't do that.

About speed, a car using no gasoline at all is as fast: Tesla P85D: 0-60 2.8s, 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds, no 0w-50 on no oil cap......
No they still want me to buy the new truck I have been looking for . I won't pay list price or over for any vehicle .I am not that foolish.

A lot of manufactures sand bag HP ratings these days. Audi is lying about their V8, AMG has been sandbagging for a long time, and Nissan is lying about the GTR...HP is easy to make manufactures underrate cars for various reasons.

I would not be surprised at all if a broken in Hellcat puts out more than what it should.

Back 10 or 20 years ago if a manufacture said 300 it might have high 200's...maybe. These days its 300 or in some cases 380...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DSparks
Technology is awesome :):)....it prob wasnt stock...i think the 707 hp is at the flywheel..prob bout 550rwhp or so in stock trim and real high 10's with a DOT street slick..impressive cars no matter:)....

I don't think so. I read a report where they dyno'ed a stock Hellcat at 700 and change at the wheels, making the flywheel HP a bit over 800. This correlates to the figures that the OP posted up. If you plug in the 131mph trap speed and a curb weight of 4500 lbs, you get approximately 810 hp.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I don't think so. I read a report where they dyno'ed a stock Hellcat at 700 and change at the wheels, making the flywheel HP a bit over 800. This correlates to the figures that the OP posted up. If you plug in the 131mph trap speed and a curb weight of 4500 lbs, you get approximately 810 hp.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1504-2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat-dyno-test/

Originally Posted By: hotrod

Strapped to the dyno, the eight-speed automatic-equipped '15 SRT Hellcat Challenger from Chrysler's West Coast media fleet produced a corrected rear-wheel peak of 620 hp, happening at the fuel-limited 6,200-rpm redline in Fourth gear. (Rear-wheel torque maxed at 579 lb-ft at 4,200 rpm.) By comparison, a stock '13 Chevy Camaro ZL1 six-speed automatic maxed out at 465 hp at 6,300 rpm (also run in Fourth gear and limited electronically by fuel), and 473 lb-ft of twist at 3,700 rpm. The completely stock '13 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 was a six-speed manual trans model, and in Fourth gear, put out peaks of 587 hp at 6,400 rpm and 575 lb-ft at 4,300 rpm.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1504-2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat-dyno-test/

Originally Posted By: hotrod

Strapped to the dyno, the eight-speed automatic-equipped '15 SRT Hellcat Challenger from Chrysler's West Coast media fleet produced a corrected rear-wheel peak of 620 hp, happening at the fuel-limited 6,200-rpm redline in Fourth gear. (Rear-wheel torque maxed at 579 lb-ft at 4,200 rpm.) By comparison, a stock '13 Chevy Camaro ZL1 six-speed automatic maxed out at 465 hp at 6,300 rpm (also run in Fourth gear and limited electronically by fuel), and 473 lb-ft of twist at 3,700 rpm. The completely stock '13 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 was a six-speed manual trans model, and in Fourth gear, put out peaks of 587 hp at 6,400 rpm and 575 lb-ft at 4,300 rpm.

Gahhhh! Now you have doubting myself...

I went back and plugged in the posted E.T. and approx curb weight in (instead of trap speed) and came up with numbers more in line with 700+ hp at the flywheel- I think it was around 750?

Anyway you slice it, they are impressive numbers for an otherwise factory car!

Chrysler has a long history of conservative HP claims.

My sig car's many strip passes equate to a flywheel HP of 460+ when the factory rates it at 425.

All they do is give you the hp under the worst possible conditions, optimize the environmental situation and it can be much higher...

Not stock ? What else could they have possibly done to it ?

Chrysler always understates HP for insurance purposes.

I have a PT GT rated 215 Hp, put 227 WHP on a dynojet.

Hellcats are awesome machines, whats not to like, reasonably priced and a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back