Cleaning a car engine's carbon deposits with water

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazy.gif
yes i'm crazy, but the endoscope shows it worked ! (except for one cylinder ?!?)

Video

CC included

I always thought water was a well known combustion chamber cleaner? Like anything you add through a vacuum line you run the risk of hydrolocking the motor if you add too much!

I performed this procedure on my SL2. Keep it at high revs and take it slow, just a little at a time, let it do its work, add more, etc.

Yes Guillaume, you short cut all those "mechanics" that test FSC and don't do water. The results are better than any PEA product already showed in Utube. Kuddos, Man!

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
As long as a big piece doesn't get stuck under a valve.

A few thou rpms and it's gone, for good.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I always thought water was a well known combustion chamber cleaner? Like anything you add through a vacuum line you run the risk of hydrolocking the motor if you add too much!

It most certainly is and always has...

Now days the media has brainwashed the masses to believing only thing that's worth using is some miracle in a can, that by chance they just happen to be selling...

Originally Posted By: abycat
water doesn't work at all! It's the steam that does.

No, it's the water.

Water can be liquid, solid, or steam. All water. Just phase changes.

See figure 6c-1 here to clarify:

phase changes of water

I ran across this in the mid 80s, so likely that means guys were doing it to tractors in the 50s.
wink.gif

It isn't known that much over here in France...
I also enjoy bringing and testing stuff we don't have on shelves here : I recently found out i had a bent rear axle and i fixed it with a EZ-Shim... this is 100% unknown here, and when i went back to the alignment to test again, it worked, so i show the man the shim, and he was like "[censored]".

I don't say too loud that i use 0W20 oil either, because here, the common belief is that heavier is better...

likely the last and most painful mistake you will make!
Originally Posted By: horse123
Well sure, I can clean my hands by using hydrofluoric acid. Does that make it a good idea?

used to do it often in the days before fuel injection. Between the two it seems to work fine, tho the stuff in a can seems to go deeper quicker. I hate what the can does to the neighborhood, however. Water is much more environmentally safe, and considering how much thick heavy smoke a can is able to produce in a poorly maintained engine as it gets soaked up, then b-u-r-n-s out for a mile or two, it's an issue.

I was worried about legal liability this one time--- Iidled the (jeep), drizzling it in, and slowly accelerated the drizzle until the engine quit. waited 45 and gave it a good soaking. when I restarted the car it was awful -- couldn't see 1 foot in front of me, and this had to be awful for the neighbors. so I jumped in and headed out onto the main road and literally left a thick, impossible-to-see-through cloud a mile down the road, and quickly got off. I feared if someone had an accident, it'd be on me. Shut it off. Later started it back up where I was (big parking lot) and just let it idle, then drove home. I was very embarrassed.

I'd never seen one do anything that bad before.

Last edited:
That's how they used to do it back in the days of carburetors.

Engines used to carbon up around town so once in awhile you needed to give them a good old Italian tune up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back