best way to preserve finish 2012 Cadillac SRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a certified 2012 Cadillac SRX which has sat out in the sun and weather at least 7 weeks at dealer. No way to know whether prior lessee garaged it or not. Interior is in fabulous condition with no signs of sun fading or cracking anywhere. Exterior paint is still shiny but can definitely tell by looking at it just right that there is just a trace of dullness and a trace of water spots even though overall it still looks pretty good. Used Liquid Glass pre-cleaner and then Liquid Glass polish on 1/2 of hood and that side now is cleaner and there are no traces of water spots but I'm not sure the depth of color is as deep as on the non-treated side and the overall gleam/shine doesn't really seem that much better. What I'm looking to do is preserve the finish for the future mainly--I want it to look as good as it can now but preservation is my goal (it will now be garaged 100% of the time it's not being driven because I'm retired). What do experienced hands recommend here? All answers will be much appreciated.

You can start with getting the car absolutely clean. Then it's time for the elbow grease, that is a clay bar attack followed by a good quality wax and keep it in a garage as much as possible.

There are lots of YouTube videos on the the subject of detailing. Getting the car clean and being diligent is more important than which exact product is the best.

You looking to do this yourself? Or have it done?

You want a 3 step or 4 step depending on how many scratches you want removed (or a "full correction" if you want it perfect). Then get it coated in opticoat (or similar). You are probably looking at between $600 and $1000 (more if you go full correction).

Do you want to preserve it or look at it? Plasti dip(laid on thick) and vinyl wrap are good options for preserving it.

For a new to you car Id probably at minimum start with an all in one type product, which can clean and help remove some oxidation. The need to clay is TBD - some people swear by it and require it, I look at it as an as needed item, to not do if I can avoid it, as it is a SLOW process (IMO).

Then after the AIO you can better judge if you need to get some compound, some glaze, or go straight to a sealant or wax.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Just bought a certified 2012 Cadillac SRX which has sat out in the sun and weather at least 7 weeks at dealer. No way to know whether prior lessee garaged it or not. Interior is in fabulous condition with no signs of sun fading or cracking anywhere. Exterior paint is still shiny but can definitely tell by looking at it just right that there is just a trace of dullness and a trace of water spots even though overall it still looks pretty good. Used Liquid Glass pre-cleaner and then Liquid Glass polish on 1/2 of hood and that side now is cleaner and there are no traces of water spots but I'm not sure the depth of color is as deep as on the non-treated side and the overall gleam/shine doesn't really seem that much better. What I'm looking to do is preserve the finish for the future mainly--I want it to look as good as it can now but preservation is my goal (it will now be garaged 100% of the time it's not being driven because I'm retired). What do experienced hands recommend here? All answers will be much appreciated.

You're off to a good start, the key words were "(it will now be garaged 100% of the time it's not being driven because I'm retired)." A garage is the single best thing you can do for your car. Keeping it cleaned and waxed will also help. Drive it in good health.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
For a new to you car Id probably at minimum start with an all in one type product, which can clean and help remove some oxidation. The need to clay is TBD - some people swear by it and require it, I look at it as an as needed item, to not do if I can avoid it, as it is a SLOW process (IMO).

Then after the AIO you can better judge if you need to get some compound, some glaze, or go straight to a sealant or wax.

I don't find claying a car to be slow, I can do a full car in about the same time it takes to wipe on and wipe off turtle wax. No need to overdo it, lube up a pannel (after washing the car really really well) and scrub away.

OP, don't forget that most damage comes from improper washing. Don't hit the car wash with the big foam brushes, and avoid the SIY (scratch it yourself) brushes at the pay and spray. If you care to wash it yourself research the "two bucket method".

Best way - Complete paint correction followed by a coating. Coating options, Optimum Gloss Coat, Polish Angel, Gtechniq, 22ple to name a few options out there. There are also many house brands that are easy as well. Coatings will provide 2 years of great looking protection.

Do a little research but I do not believe there is ANY synthetic based wax or sealant that will give you the deep warm look that you will get from a natural carnauba wax. The trade off is that the natural wax will not hold up any where near as long outdoors or indoors as a synthetic sealant especially in a hot humid climate.
You could always do sealant then carnauba wax for the look I believe you are looking for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back