Kia optima drain plug leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2k

I changed the oil and drain plug gasket on my 2014 optima and it is dripping. I dont want to take it apart again what can i do to make it stop

If the drain plug gasket is OEM and the drain plug is torqued to spec take it to the dealer and have them figure it out.

My Sonata with the 2.4 (maybe the same engine you have) was very sensitive to leaks. I had to replace the gasket every time and actually tighten it to the very top of the torque range or slightly beyond spec. The lower end of the torque range in the factory service manual wasn't enough to deform the gaskets. I used gaskets purchased from the dealer, so they were the right ones.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I used gaskets purchased from the dealer, so they were the right ones.

Wait a minute....

You'd be surprised how many times a dealer will
substitute generic parts like this for OEM supplied, and charge the same price and not tell you it isn't OEM branded.

When you get parts like this ALWAYS insist that you want the OEM branded part, and not a dealer supplied substitute that they believe is good enough. I bet those washers are NOT as soft as the OEM pieces.

I don't mean to sound rude but if you aren't willing to diagnose your issue on something like an oil change you might be better off taking it to a trusted shop

Easiest things to check are: Is your drain plug tight enough? Is there a crush washer present? You can check both without removing the plug.

For gaskets... You can get these slick rubber coated aluminum ones. They don't take much to seal

Quote:
You can get these slick rubber coated aluminum ones. They don't take much to seal
Where do you find them? I have been looking for them all over in auto parts store but still no luck. ebay/amazon link would be very helpful.

Try a different dealer. Or an online dealer. Or some white permatex on the drain plug threads.

Last edited:
inspect the surfaces you are sealing against. Might be mucked up or some sand on it. Try a new OEM washer OR make a thin rubber gasket to use with a washer. Not ideal but not sure what else you could do. Makes you wonder if Hyundai cannot do this right.....what is next.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with an 1.8T Audi. Now own 3 Hyundai/Kias with that engine.

The following steps solved the problem with my Audi and has worked on my Hyundai/Kias:
1. Use a 6 point socket
2. Use a new crush washer
3. Wipe off the pan around the drain hole and drain plug, after draining oil
4. Lubricate the crush washer and drain plug sealing surfaces with bearing grease, along with the plug's treads
5. Firmly tighten drain plug, but do not over tighten

For the toyota, I like the metal ones that are covered in black rubber.

They work fine.

Replace every time. I use a wrench to torque them down.

I lube both sides of the new washer with used motor oil, never had a leak.

My toyota dealer is a ripoff so I have been getting from Rockauto or amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back