Ac Delco PF48 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy them where ever I see them. Wal Mart had one or two left, Farm and Fleet had a couple,and bought out Rockauto on some closeouts. Stay tuned as I bought out a bunch of Champ filters on Rockauto for $1.27. They will make their way here eventually. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
They still make the non e core a/c filters... They are nice filters i see them at advance and sometimes at auto zone here in NJ

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
They still make the non e core a/c filters...

PF48 is getting harder and harder to find. If they still make it they are making very small quantities, because it is very hard to find these.

Other ACDelco non e-core filters are easier to find. PF48, not so much.

Why not just run the bigger PF63? You can run the PF63 filter and it is preferred over the PF48. Walmart carries the PF63. Personally, I would run the Amsoil EAO17 oil filter or the Fram Ultra XG 10575 which is the PF63 equivalent.

Here is the GM bulletin stating that you can run the PF63 safely and that is has more filtering media:

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

Document ID: 2597264
#PIP4889: Engine Break In Oil Filter Number PF48 From New Delivery - Not The Same As The Service Number PF63 In Owners Manual - (Mar 8, 2011)
Subject: Engine Break In Oil Filter number PF48 From New Delivery - Not The Same As The Service number PF63 In Owners Manual

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that the oil filter # the engine came from the factory with is not the same # required for service per the owners manual and gm parts catalog. Engine was delivered with AC Delco PF48 and Service Oil Filter is AC Delco PF63

Recommendation/Instructions:
The PF63 filter has the same high quality attributes as the PF48 with but is 22mm longer which will provide an additional 22 mm of media filtration material. There will also be additional filtration protection during high mileage oil change intervals. The PF63 filter is a NEW release for the 2011 model year. These 2011 engines will be built with a break in oil filter of PF48 with service replacement being PF63.

The PF63 filter can be used on all M/Y vehicles if the PF48 is the service filter.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

They still make the non e core a/c filters... They are nice filters i see them at advance and sometimes at auto zone here in NJ

The only non score pf48 and pf 63s are old stock. The have been replaced by scores.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Why not just run the bigger PF63? You can run the PF63 filter and it is preferred over the PF48. Walmart carries the PF63. Personally, I would run the Amsoil EAO17 oil filter or the Fram Ultra XG 10575 which is the PF63 equivalent.

Here is the GM bulletin stating that you can run the PF63 safely and that is has more filtering media:

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

#PIP4889: Engine Break In Oil Filter Number PF48 From New Delivery - Not The Same As The Service Number PF63 In Owners Manual - (Mar 8, 2011)
Subject: Engine Break In Oil Filter number PF48 From New Delivery - Not The Same As The Service number PF63 In Owners Manual

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that the oil filter # the engine came from the factory with is not the same # required for service per the owners manual and gm parts catalog. Engine was delivered with AC Delco PF48 and Service Oil Filter is AC Delco PF63

The PF63 filter has the same high quality attributes as the PF48 with but is 22mm longer which will provide an additional 22 mm of media filtration material. There will also be additional filtration protection during high mileage oil change intervals. The PF63 filter is a NEW release for the 2011 model year. These 2011 engines will be built with a break in oil filter of PF48 with service replacement being PF63.

The PF63 filter can be used on all M/Y vehicles if the PF48 is the service filter.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

That does not apply to his truck. It only applies to the 3.6l v6 in certain vehicles. And the factory filter is not a pf48 on those vehicles. It says on the filter to replace with a pf63 but it is the same size as a pf48 and does not have an adbv.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I found 1 PF48 at Rural king today, so I picked it up.
Nice, I think there is still quite a bit of them around people have just stopped looking because the e-cores took over. I always go through all the AC Delcos to try to find a diamond in the rough! Lol

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I found 1 PF48 at Rural king today, so I picked it up.
Nice, I think there is still quite a bit of them around people have just stopped looking because the e-cores took over. I always go through all the AC Delcos to try to find a diamond in the rough! Lol

I agree, I'm bummed they stopped making the steel core AC/Delcos. They are such a great filter for the money.

Pick up a Fram Ultra XG 10575 and be done with it. Why search and search high and low for an AC Delco filter when for a couple bucks more you can get one of the best filters on the market?

I run either the Amsoil EAO17 or Fram Ultra XG 10575. My engine calls for the PF48, but GM says I can run the bigger PF63 or equivalent. If you can't find a PF48 or PF63, the other alternatives are MUCH better. Full synthetic media over cellulose is a better bet any day!

Last edited:
Pick up a Fram Ultra XG 10575 and be done with it. Why search and search high and low for an AC Delco filter when for a couple bucks more you can get one of the best filters on the market?

I run either the Amsoil EAO17 or Fram Ultra XG 10575. My engine calls for the PF48, but GM says I can run the bigger PF63 or equivalent. If you can't find a PF48 or PF63, the other alternatives are MUCH better. Full synthetic media over cellulose is a better bet any day!
He might not run long intervals so a Ultra would be a waste IMO. They are more then a couple bucks difference also. A Wix made filter or Fram TG would be a better option for up to 7500 and only spend a couple bucks more then a AC Delco imo.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why did Chevrolet go from PF44 to PF46?

Don't know, but it happened sometime in 2004 or so. PF44 was discontinued.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

The only non score pf48 and pf 63s are old stock. The have been replaced by scores.

Condition/Concern:

That does not apply to his truck. It only applies to the 3.6l v6 in certain vehicles. And the factory filter is not a pf48 on those vehicles. It says on the filter to replace with a pf63 but it is the same size as a pf48 and does not have an adbv.

The PF63 was put onto these high feature GM 3.6 liter engines in the Traverse/Acadia/Enclage because they were having premature timing chain failures. The vehicles come from the factory with the short PF48 filter on them, but owners and servicers are advised to replace with the bigger PF63 with the hopes of greater protection. However, on my pickup I noticed a definite increase in lifter/valve noise on cold starts with the PF63 filter. This was not just something that I fathomed. When I switched back to PF48 that startup noise went away. I now happily use UPF48 (Mobil 1 filter clone). I cut open a PF48E and it seemed like a perfectly competent filter. However, I'm just more comfortable with the filter with metal internals from Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back