Disabling the air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. My truck has a second belt just for turning the compressor.

The compressor is having fits and I have no immediate plans to have it replaced. It will idle without problems, so I usually run the Air for a while when I start the truck to cool the cab, but mainly to prevent dry rot of the seals, as my late Great Uncle cautioned...........I wish to take the belt off but not at the expense of ruining the entire AC system, in case It gets fixed in the future.

But I wonder, if the compressor gets replaced, will the shop freshen up the seals, gaskets, o-rings, etc. while they have the system open or what's the deal.

I may call the shop I wish to do the work, but I like asking questions here.

The seals in question are in the compressor. Let them rot away, then when you get a new/reman compressor you have new seals anyway.

They'll probably replace some other stuff (or they should as a precaution) when they replace the compressor. IIRC it's the drier or the orifice tube that get replaced at the same time. Those are likely almost plugged with old seal material and moisture that the failing compressor let into the system.

If you decide to replace the compressor Google air conditioner compressor black death and how to properly clean up the system after an AC compressor failure. If it is not done properly you'll be tossing good money after bad.

The seals won't "dry rot".

You are repeating old advice that has long since been obsolete.

With a modern A/C system, built since the early 1990s, it's likely that there isn't a problem with not running the system.

The point of occasionally running the system was to redistribute lubricating oil throughout the system. The oil mist coated the inside of the hoses and seals, and was essential to keeping refrigerant from diffusing through the rubber.

With the switch from R12 to R134a, the potential for diffusion became much worse. The solution was switching to much more sophisticated barrier hoses, better seal designs, and polymers such as HNBR rather than simple rubbers.

The improved design, especially barrier hoses, eliminated the need for an oil coating to maintain a seal, and thus the need to periodically operate the A/C to refresh the coating.

The compressor internals also don't need to oil to circulate regularly. With a correctly sealed system there isn't any internal moisture or oxygen to corrode exposed parts. The shaft seal is likely a carbon face seal, which doesn't rely on oil for lubrication or sealing.

Why not just pull the compressor fuse out?

Also to the above post about sealing. It's all great when the system is fairly new, but it doesn't matter how advanced the seals are, everything degrades with time. Operating the AC periodically and ensuring the lubricating oil is distributed throughout the system will help with it's long term durability.

"Having fits" doesn't tell us much about the problem. Is it the compressor bearings, the compressor CLUTCH bearings, or something else?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why not just pull the compressor fuse out?

Also to the above post about sealing. It's all great when the system is fairly new, but it doesn't matter how advanced the seals are, everything degrades with time. Operating the AC periodically and ensuring the lubricating oil is distributed throughout the system will help with it's long term durability.

What makes you think that operating it helps with long-term durability? Superstition? What your grandfather told you?

Barrier hoses are far better than the hoses that came before. Sure, they'll degrade, but typically from external chemicals and engine heat. Moving oil around inside the system isn't going to help that.

Nor will periodically running help with compressor durability(?) or longevity. The system is nominally closed, except for the compressor shaft seal, so there isn't a problem with exposed metal oxidizing.

Originally Posted By: djb
The seals won't "dry rot".

You are repeating old advice that has long since been obsolete.

With a modern A/C system, built since the early 1990s, it's likely that there isn't a problem with not running the system.

The point of occasionally running the system was to redistribute lubricating oil throughout the system. The oil mist coated the inside of the hoses and seals, and was essential to keeping refrigerant from diffusing through the rubber.

With the switch from R12 to R134a, the potential for diffusion became much worse. The solution was switching to much more sophisticated barrier hoses, better seal designs, and polymers such as HNBR rather than simple rubbers.

The improved design, especially barrier hoses, eliminated the need for an oil coating to maintain a seal, and thus the need to periodically operate the A/C to refresh the coating.

The compressor internals also don't need to oil to circulate regularly. With a correctly sealed system there isn't any internal moisture or oxygen to corrode exposed parts. The shaft seal is likely a carbon face seal, which doesn't rely on oil for lubrication or sealing.

Well, dude. On my Saturn that had to have a can every spring to get the AC going....one winter was very mild and I kept a running it and didnt have to add freon that upcoming spring.

There is a TSB for it.... #03-01-38-019A

It is screeching and shaking very badly.

Ok folks I hope I did it right.

The tensioner, belt and 10A fuse is removed and in the tensioner box it came in awaiting reinstall.

I put the bolts back the best I could and did not remove the 'quad-fuse or circuitbreaker that was right next to the 10A....it was labelled AC comp, I have never removed such a piece. Are they removable? With what tool? Should Ior should I not?

Thanks for the 'good' and helpful replies!

Tisk tisk onthe defaming or derogatory ones..... Boo!

The belt removal was enough. Even when the A/C clutch is activated it won't hurt anything.

It's too bad, The Denso 10S17F is a great compressor when not mounted low, When mounted on top like the 4.3L V6 & Duramax.....They can last forever, I don't know who's F-up this is, GM or NipponDenso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back