Tire Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you do a tire rotation do you take out all the little rocks stuck in the treads of your tires? Since you have them off you could get them all out.

Is there any advantage of doing so or am I just wasting my time?

For me, I take out the rocks and stones. But it's not really about them, it's more about examining the entire tire for defects and problems, something hard to do if the tire were on the wheel. As a matter of routine, I take out the flashlight when I get home and examine the treads on all 4 tires, looking for embedded nails and glass. You'd be surprised how many of them I'd seen and removed over the past +36 years. On some occasions, they had caused a slow leak already and caused me to swap the tire with the spare. Better to do it at night in my garage than in the morning when I'm in a hurry to leave. And there were times I'd look when I'd arrived at work and find a nail I had picked up after leaving my house.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Waste of time. Unless you feel that they may be sharp enough to enter the tread.

I agree. Some will come free naturally and you'll pick up others as you go. No sense in doing the work unless you suspect a problem.

I take them out with a small flat head screwdriver - it takes one minute per tire. Rocks in your tread are never a plus & it might save the guy driving behind you a paint or windshield chip.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I take them out with a small flat head screwdriver - it takes one minute per tire. Rocks in your tread are never a plus & it might save the guy driving behind you a paint or windshield chip.

Should you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, beer's on me! More need to have your regard for fellow motorists!

Originally Posted By: nleksan

Should you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, beer's on me! More need to have your regard for fellow motorists!

A BIG +1 on that! I always pull all of the foreign bodies from the tread whenever the tires come off of the vehicle, and even if I see one that can easily be removed while still on the car.

Ditto - and thanks!!

Nope. Why would I? My driveway is dirt, and the tire will just pick up more.

I do it. When I do an oil change on the Mustang it is up on 4 jackstands and I put the tires on the lawn in the positions they are going to be moved to. Before they go back on the car I clean the wheels really well and inspect the tires for any punctures and take anything out of the tread.

One thing I do at a tire rotation is check/brush-clean if necessary the INSIDE of the wheels, and check the condition of the hub-centric rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back