Cold Brew Coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benito
Try the Aeropress. $25 on Amazon. Smoothest way to make coffee without going high end.

Too bad it is made of plastic (not a fan of high temperature solvents and plastics).

Some people seem to complain about the paper filter removing some of the oils from the coffee.... Im looking for the following:

1) Tasty drink to sip
2) Supposed health benefits of coffee

Im not saying Im drinking to gain some magic health increase. But if the oils are beneficial to the overall hypothesized benefits of coffee, then I wouldn't want to remove them.

But I think there is a stainless filter to solve that...

The optimum temperature for the aeropress is 175f. Don't know if that allays your concerns about the solvents.

The inventor also seems like somebody you can trust on the engineering side of things.

In terms of health benefits, the inventor had the coffee tested and the filter removes the bad cholesterol in coffee. It also removes the oil and leaves you with coffee concentrate that is as pure as the cold brew method.

There is more in this video. I haven't fully investigated the health benefit aspect of coffee. I drink it only occasionally so settled on the aeropress as a solution for high quality without a huge investment.

Just made two cold coffee drinks with cold brewed coffee.

One was chilled cold brewed coffee with milk and sugar syrup and a little ice. Very nice.

The other was chilled cold brewed coffee with chocolate ice cream, some milk, some sugar syrup and a little ice. Even nicer.

I will see how this compares to aeropress made coffee. If cold brewed is noticeably better, I may need to buy that cold brewing machine.

So you cold brewed just by adding grounds into water in a container of some sort?

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about tasting coffee, but it will be interesting to hear your comparison and reviews one to the next!

The optimum temperature for the aeropress is 175f. Don't know if that allays your concerns about the solvents.

The inventor also seems like somebody you can trust on the engineering side of things.

In terms of health benefits, the inventor had the coffee tested and the filter removes the bad cholesterol in coffee. It also removes the oil and leaves you with coffee concentrate that is as pure as the cold brew method.

There is more in this video. I haven't fully investigated the health benefit aspect of coffee. I drink it only occasionally so settled on the aeropress as a solution for high quality without a huge investment.

BPA and plasticizers leach into water at room temperature. I recall once I was trying to chase some trace hydrocarbons contaminating a cooling water system, and sent my samples to a lab. It was alarming how many plasticizers can be easily found leached into water when using good analytical equipment. Even if the concentrations are low, do I want to be drinking that?

So 175 is still hot.

I am interested to know more about the oils and fats in coffee, and what's good or bad for you. Apparently the aero press paper filters remove certain components for better or worse. It's just an interesting thing all around regardless of what I decide to do at this point.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So you cold brewed just by adding grounds into water in a container of some sort?

Yes. I followed the instructions at this link using my French Press for the 12-24 hour soak.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30487-basic-cold-brewed-coffee

I used an elastic band to hold a regular coffee filter around a large mug and filtered the coffee from the French Press into the mug. This is the part where a machine or something more thought out will probably help. The filter gets clogged up fast and is very slow to filter especially if it is not flat which is largely unavoidable. So if you can rig something up that keeps the filter as flat as possible, it'll filter faster.

That's why I'm thinking of using the aeropress in future.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about tasting coffee, but it will be interesting to hear your comparison and reviews one to the next!

Will report back once I've done the same with the aeropress. We're out of chocolate ice-cream now which was the favorite and we're also out of the Kona Coffee that I cold brewed so it might be some time and the comparison might not be fair.

I am nowhere near a coffee expert but regardless, aeropress coffee is the best bang for the buck there is for hot coffee from a taste point of view.

Used the aeropress today to make iced coffee.

Used a different coffee, added milk and sugar syrup and ice.

The verdict from the 3 people who also tried the cold brewed iced coffee was that the aeropress version was better.

The main downside was that adding cold milk to hot coffee did not reduce the temperature enough. Ice was also needed which risks watering it down or altering the flavor for those who prefer milk instead of water. So a few minutes in the freezer may be in order once the milk is added.

Apart from the method of brewing, the other difference, which unfortunately is major from a test perspective, was the coffee. The cold brew method used Kona coffee that had been opened a while ago. The aeropress used Maxwell House which was sealed but an old packet from a hotel.

We got a 20% off coupon in the mail for the bed, bath and beyond store, so I bought an Aeropress kit. It was priced the same as on Amazon, but then 20% less.

Bought some Chock full o' nuts coffee (not flavored, just the name), and made some.

Only mistake was that I didn't buy light cream or half and half when I bought coffee. So we only had coconut milk. It mixed ok but obviously had some issues being poured into a cold beverage.

I added the 1.5 scoops in, then added water and mixed. There was very little need to press, most of the water dropped through. I did iced first, so I put the unit over a tumbler filled with ice. Very good flavor, no complaints.

I had more warm water, so I filled again and let it drip and then press. Did that hot into a mug. The results are what you see here.

I'm pleased. It's easy and fast. I suspect that once I get a "recipe" for the quantity I want and all, it will be easy to fill a Pyrex cup with a set amount of water and warm it in the microwave so I can easily and consistently hit the right temperature and be a no brainer. Then just throw the grounds and filter out in our vegetable garden to compost (I'll probably buy a stainless filter actually).

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm happy. We made a cup for a visitor too and they were happy. That's good since we don't own an actual coffee maker.

54BC5B0F-6511-463A-9EB6-BDA719622B8F_zpsmhdbkqop.jpg

P

BPA and plasticizers leach into water at room temperature. I recall once I was trying to chase some trace hydrocarbons contaminating a cooling water system, and sent my samples to a lab. It was alarming how many plasticizers can be easily found leached into water when using good analytical equipment. Even if the concentrations are low, do I want to be drinking that?

So 175 is still hot.

I am interested to know more about the oils and fats in coffee, and what's good or bad for you. Apparently the aero press paper filters remove certain components for better or worse. It's just an interesting thing all around regardless of what I decide to do at this point.

Just to confirm, my box says BPA free. Not sure what other plasticizers leach in, maybe someday I'll do a water quality test for fun to see if I can get some chemical traces (or not).

You mention "bad cholesterol", but I've never considered ingestion of cholesterol to be bad. In fact, they're needed for health. Bad fats crossed by excess sugars and some genetic characteristics can be bad internal to the body for sure, but I have to wonder if the cholesterol a within coffee (or other fats/oils) are bad or perhaps actually good, for you.

Coffee fats... The best vegetable fats since avocado!
wink.gif

Freeze dried coffee is the best if you want to prepare cold coffee. Nescafe Gold or Nescafe Espresso... My favorites. Easier to get now with amazon and eBay and enjoybettercoffee.

I hate the taste of instant coffee made for the US. I think they make it to make people buy ground coffee.

You mention "bad cholesterol", but I've never considered ingestion of cholesterol to be bad. In fact, they're needed for health. Bad fats crossed by excess sugars and some genetic characteristics can be bad internal to the body for sure, but I have to wonder if the cholesterol a within coffee (or other fats/oils) are bad or perhaps actually good, for you.

I'm glad you wrote this. So much misinformation about cholesterol and fat has been spread for years by the food industry and the agencies they own.
My approach to lipids is: Enjoy those egg yolks (if you like them), butter, olive oil, and tree nuts. Avoid all hydrogenated oils and excessive sugar.

The AeroPress filter removes cholesterol from coffee? That's not much of a trick since coffee does not contain cholesterol. "Health marketing" at its best!

You can buy gluten free toilet bowl cleaners too.

Yes, I own an AeroPress and love it, but come on.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The AeroPress filter removes cholesterol from coffee? That's not much of a trick since coffee does not contain cholesterol. "Health marketing" at its best!

Ed

There is no cholesterol in plants, it's only found in animals. Terpenes in coffee cause an increase in LDL cholesterol in humans. A coffee filter removes most terpenes from coffee. I am a coffee addict. My cholesterol levels and ratio are fine. My favorite cold coffee recipe: Put a few scoops vanilla ice cream in a tumbler. Pour chilled strong coffee over it. Top off with plenty real whipped cream. Sprinkle whipped cream with cocoa powder and garnish with a Maraschino cherry. Now that treat is loaded with cholseterol from the cream.

The local coffee shop here makes a cold-brew coffee that they sell in 12-ounce bottles and refillable half-gallon growlers. Mellow taste IMO and definitely high octane caffeine-wise. I drink LOTS of coffee and even their cold brew will give me a caffeine buzz.

Yes, it can be stored in a refrigerator.

If it were more convenient to make, I'd brew my own...

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Ed

There is no cholesterol in plants, it's only found in animals. Terpenes in coffee cause an increase in LDL cholesterol in humans. A coffee filter removes most terpenes from coffee. I am a coffee addict. My cholesterol levels and ratio are fine. My favorite cold coffee recipe: Put a few scoops vanilla ice cream in a tumbler. Pour chilled strong coffee over it. Top off with plenty whipped cream. Sprinkle whipped cream with cocoa powder and garnish with a Maraschino cherry. Now that treat is loaded with cholseterol from the cream.

Yup. I was responding to this statement by Benito: "In terms of health benefits, the inventor had the coffee tested and the filter removes the bad cholesterol in coffee".

On the other hand, it also contains sterols that inhibit the absorption of cholesterol. You wouldn't want to filter those out. You can't win either way.
There's only one thing to do... have another cup of coffee!
13.gif

Ed

There's only one thing to do... have another cup of coffee!
13.gif

Ed

I'm drinking to that. Cheers!

There is no cholesterol in plants, it's only found in animals. Terpenes in coffee cause an increase in LDL cholesterol in humans. A coffee filter removes most terpenes from coffee.

Thanks for clarifying that. I misremembered when I said coffee contains cholesterol, rather I had heard the inventor of the aeropress say it filters out the compound that increases the bad cholesterol.

Btw, the exact compound is cafestol which is a diterpine.

[Btw, the exact compound is cafestol which is a diterpine.

I was too lazy to look it up. I got my nose buried in books most of the day already. I better go and ride my bike for an hour. Today it's under 90 dgrees outside.

There is no cholesterol in plants, it's only found in animals. Terpenes in coffee cause an increase in LDL cholesterol in humans. A coffee filter removes most terpenes from coffee.

Thanks for clarifying that. I misremembered when I said coffee contains cholesterol, rather I had heard the inventor of the aeropress say it filters out the compound that increases the bad cholesterol.

Btw, the exact compound is cafestol which is a diterpine.

FWIW:

https://chemistry.osu.edu/~gopalan.5/file/7B.PDF

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10971787/

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401225/Does-Coffee-Raise-Cholesterol.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back