Tire pressure when towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when towing should I go with the max inflation pressure that the tire says or just go up a few lbs? Max on the tire is 44 psi I run 35 normally (what it says on the truck door)

There's not a different pressure listed on the door jamb (or in the owner's manual) for towing or heavy loads?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So when towing should I go with the max inflation pressure that the tire says or just go up a few lbs?

Do you want the correct answer?

http://catscale.com/

Then you can actually run the proper pressure that's based on data, not assumption or anecdotal belief.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How much are you towing?
And the tongue weight.

Why do people on here think max inflation pressure is a guideline to inflate your tire by? You hit a pothole or a curb, at the least your wheel is ruined, and if you're unlucky the tire explodes and you crash and die.

Max inflation pressure is THE MAX INFLATION PRESSURE, not the vehicle specific inflation pressure.

I'm towing a 5,000 lb camper with my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6. Toung weight of aprox 600 lbs. tires are 245/75/16 110 or 111T can't recall and a max press of 44 psi.

If your tire or vehicle specifies that you run a certain pressure to carry a certain load, run the correct pressure for your load.

My LTX tires are only rated to carry max load at 80psi, so that's what I run. 140k miles on all original suspension components, wheels, and steering components. Never had a tire explode from road conditions.

Max inflation pressure isn't going to necessarily damage anything-the extra load on the rear tires is going to take the excessive shock & bouncing out of the tires & suspension. My truck rule of thumb is run as much pressure as possible, up to the sidewall rating, if necessary to carry the weight hauled. For instance, the Ram in my sig has a HUGE amount of weight on the front tires, so (when not towing heavy) I run more front air than rear. Your tires will be muck cooler if not run underinflated.

Running a higher pressure can improve the stability when towing because the tires will be less squirmy. I would experiment with higher pressures to see what feels more stable.

The hitch matters a lot. A weight distributing hitch makes a huge difference. I usually run a bit less air in the rear of my truck for ride quality. Like 33 front and 31 rear. When towing with my equalizer hitch and a 5000lb travel trailer, i run 33 all the way around. Too much air when towing, and it feels dangerous when braking in the rain.( I do keep the trailer tires at max and they are balanced).

Originally Posted By: horse123
Why do people on here think max inflation pressure is a guideline to inflate your tire by? You hit a pothole or a curb, at the least your wheel is ruined, and if you're unlucky the tire explodes and you crash and die.

weird, is it going to explode on every pothole? how do you know it, if i may ask? I must have hit a million of potholes now at 40+ psi and no explosions yet. really disappointing. the only tire explosion i got was when a tire got under inflated in my boat trailer and i thought i would make it home fine. it burst 1 mile before the exit.

Lots of tires blow out in potholes, we have a whole stack of them at the maintenance door of the 500 car rental fleet that I occasionally work at. Every one of them caused by LOW air pressure, severe rim damage because the tire did not have enough pressure to resist the impact. None where the tire blew out without rim damage.

WITH a "severe use" towing schedule, 4 days a week towing a 5,000 lb boat with various vehicles, usually a Toyota Sienna, I vote for the 44 lb inflation level in the rear. Stability and resistance to sway is greatly enhanced and completely eliminated tail wagging at interstate speeds. No reason to be one of those white knuckled drivers struggling to maintain control with inadequate pressure in your rear tires.

Yes, mine are always at 44 psi when towing!

Originally Posted By: horse123

Max inflation pressure is THE MAX INFLATION PRESSURE, not the vehicle specific inflation pressure.

Watch your mouth!

My rear psi on the door placard and the max psi on the sidewall are =

If you are towing within the limitations of the vehicle manufacturer, then the vehicle tire placard information is appropriate. If not, then you need a bigger tow vehicle.

But a few more psi won't hurt. I think 3 to 5 psi might actually help.

my forester spec's extra psi in the rear for towing.. about 5psi IIRC.

Of course I'm guessing the OP has a WD hitch otherwise it wouldn't be rated for 600lb tongue weight

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

Of course I'm guessing the OP has a WD hitch otherwise it wouldn't be rated for 600lb tongue weight

I agree he probably does, but you'd be amazed what i see people pull with. I've seen 34' with no sway or WD at all and only a drawbar and ball.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Rand

I agree he probably does, but you'd be amazed what i see people pull with. I've seen 34' with no sway or WD at all and only a drawbar and ball.

Yes WD hitch and air bags in the rear of the 2012 Pathfinder more of a must 05-12 Nissan Pathfinders suffer from week rear springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back