Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benito
Apologies for breaking up your post but I need to in order to ask the following:

I understand why 3 follows 1.

But are you saying in statement 2 that the AW additives are in thin and thick oils in similar amounts but that the thin oils utilize them more?

no problems, if it helps understanding.

Looking at the Stribeck curve, the bottom axis is (speed x viscosity)/load, the side axis is friction.

Areas to the right of the minimum point are in full hydrodynamic, parts separated by an oil "wedge", and are in theory no contact/no wear.

The bit to the left of the minimum is where contact has been made, and boundary/mixed lubrication takes hold...the friction in a plain oil rises markedly...friction modifiers can be added, that react with the surfaces that are just touching, and makes a soft, soapy, sacrificial layer...the friction is lower than hydrodynamics, but some metal loss exists (but nothing like what would happen with no FMs).

Relationship+of+Stribeck+Curve+vs+Friction+Modification.png

An engine will have different components running in different regimes. bearings should be hydrodynamic, cams are quite mixed lubrication, and pistons and rings are full hydrodynamic mid stroke, and boundary at either end.

So changing to a thicker viscosity moves the curves to the right, lower viscosity to the left.

The latter point is why I say that the additives are more utilised in a thinner oil, everything moves farther left.

It's part of the warm-up wear problem, in that cold thick oil is thinning with heat, and the additives aren't that effective on relatively cold surfaces.

In addition, Xw30 and lower viscosity engine oils, under the ILSAC banner, have lower traditional (ZN, and P) additive treat rates (to limit aftertreatment damage with implied higher consumption), and the EC oils typically have organic FMs and the like which help take their place.

So getting back they have mostly similar additives, but the thinner oils have less of them, and with a couple of others added.

That's why I'd recommend a properly formulated 10W40, over taking an ILSAC 5W30 and trying to make it a 40 with Lucas. The 10W40 will have typically higher additive rates than the 5W30 to start with, and THEY will be further diluted by the Lucas.

You end up with something that has nothing beneficial over the 10W40, and the possibility of losing on every front wear wise, durability wise, oxidation resistance wise, and TBN wise.

turtlevettes misquote (directly aimed at, and misquoting my argument) either demonstrates that he's just baiting and misinforming for sport, or really is missing the big picture.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Benito
Apologies for breaking up your post but I need to in order to ask the following:

I understand why 3 follows 1.

But are you saying in statement 2 that the AW additives are in thin and thick oils in similar amounts but that the thin oils utilize them more?

no problems, if it helps understanding.

Looking at the Stribeck curve, the bottom axis is (speed x viscosity)/load, the side axis is friction.

Areas to the right of the minimum point are in full hydrodynamic, parts separated by an oil "wedge", and are in theory no contact/no wear.

The bit to the left of the minimum is where contact has been made, and boundary/mixed lubrication takes hold...the friction in a plain oil rises markedly...friction modifiers can be added, that react with the surfaces that are just touching, and makes a soft, soapy, sacrificial layer...the friction is lower than hydrodynamics, but some metal loss exists (but nothing like what would happen with no FMs).

Relationship+of+Stribeck+Curve+vs+Friction+Modification.png

An engine will have different components running in different regimes. bearings should be hydrodynamic, cams are quite mixed lubrication, and pistons and rings are full hydrodynamic mid stroke, and boundary at either end.

So changing to a thicker viscosity moves the curves to the right, lower viscosity to the left.

The latter point is why I say that the additives are more utilised in a thinner oil, everything moves farther left.

It's part of the warm-up wear problem, in that cold thick oil is thinning with heat, and the additives aren't that effective on relatively cold surfaces.

In addition, Xw30 and lower viscosity engine oils, under the ILSAC banner, have lower traditional (ZN, and P) additive treat rates (to limit aftertreatment damage with implied higher consumption), and the EC oils typically have organic FMs and the like which help take their place.

So getting back they have mostly similar additives, but the thinner oils have less of them, and with a couple of others added.

That's why I'd recommend a properly formulated 10W40, over taking an ILSAC 5W30 and trying to make it a 40 with Lucas. The 10W40 will have typically higher additive rates than the 5W30 to start with, and THEY will be further diluted by the Lucas.

You end up with something that has nothing beneficial over the 10W40, and the possibility of losing on every front wear wise, durability wise, oxidation resistance wise, and TBN wise.

turtlevettes misquote (directly aimed at, and misquoting my argument) either demonstrates that he's just baiting and misinforming for sport, or really is missing the big picture.

Great explanation.

As far as turtlevette goes it's painfully apparent he has no grasp of the concept,nor any desire too.
The ignore function is a godsend for members like him til the mods finally eliminate his input on a more permanent basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, it dilutes the add-pak. A thicker oil would provide added film though. Seeing VOA's of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, I would not use it in a internal combustion engine crankcase, but I might use it to thicken up an oil that has sheared where an ND oil is required and the required oil is not easily obtained when needed. I know a guy who throws Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer into his triplex pressure washer pumps to bump cSt when used constantly in high heat conditions and swears by it. A VOA of pressure washer pump oil and Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer have similar VOA's less the viscosity. I would not use it in a pressure washer out of concern I would weaken the anti foam agents in the pressure washer oil. Maybe Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer fights foam though. I really dont know.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
As others have said, it dilutes the add-pak. A thicker oil would provide added film though.

Same thing I said. Maybe the "experts" will go ape hit on you too. Lucas claims you can use it up to 100% in diffs. Why doesn't that wear out the diff with no ep? I think there is something else in there that the "experts" don't know about. Its easier to trash them than dig and find out.

turtlevette, is this "undetectium" additive the same one that you have proposed in other threads has ultra low viscosity, while maintaining full film thickness perchance ?

If so, it's in minute proportions in Lucas.

Great advertising campaign....

"Lucas ... now with double the previous levels of undetectium"

^You mean the one with additives unlike Lucas? OR perhaps better yet a product like Lubro / Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver? I'd go with that myself.
smile.gif

G'day all,

I have been using Morey's oil stabilser in my cars and bikes for years now and I am very happy with the product. Of course I have anecdotal evidence, we all do, and I imagine lots of people had an uncle "Dave" or the like who swore off additives, and then there is "Bob" across the street who swears by them...I could go on.

I can understand why people are hessitant to try new things, but it is worth bearing in mind that many whizz bang products offered by large companies today started off being touted by smaller companies. It is common practice for large companies to buy small ideas/companies, and use their product as it is cheaper than paying royalties.

Snake oils? How many large oil companies have tried to dupe the public into thinking the oil they are selling is better? remember "Magnatec"? The oil that "sticks" to the iside of an engine. Here is the text.." It’s Castrol MAGNATEC’s intelligent molecules that truly set it apart from other engine oils. These ultra-refined molecular components cling to your engine throughout all driving conditions, and even when the engine is off.

When the engine stops, oil drains back to the sump, but Castrol MAGNATEC’s intelligent molecules don’t. They cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start, and throughout warm-up."
http://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/p.../the-story.html

Small companies sometimes have big ideas, and often the people behind these small companies used to work for the big companies and know just how little is in some of our products.

So remember when you are bagging a new or different product, that the special stuff you use yourself was perhaps once someones "stupid" idea... until the patent was bought out.

Cheers, Gareth

Interesting article re:bike oils versus car oils.
http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

Last edited:
Quote:
Small companies sometimes have big ideas, and often the people behind these small companies used to work for the big companies and know just how little is in some of our products.

So remember when you are bagging a new or different product, that the special stuff you use yourself was perhaps once someones "stupid" idea... until the patent was bought out.

It is usually the opposite situation.

When an additive company's patent expires, then OTC third parties take that component component and then market it as something the industry has never seen before, with all kinds of exaggerated marketing claims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
It's not easy to find thicker oil. I've never seen 60 or 70 wt oil on the shelf. As the "experts" keep telling us a thicker oil needs less aw additives because of the thicker oil film.

Either you are hard of comprehension, or like twisting others' words...or just plain making stuff up.

Thinner oils make greater reliance on AW additives, is not the same as saying that thicker oils need less (or that diluting the additive concentration of an oil with lucas is correct).

I guess Mr. "Never" has never been to a Harley dealer.

Originally Posted By: mr_blackstock
I have been using Morey's oil stabilser in my cars and bikes for years now and I am very happy with the product. Of course I have anecdotal evidence, we all do, and I imagine lots of people had an uncle "Dave" or the like who swore off additives, and then there is "Bob" across the street who swears by them...I could go on.

Morey's is a different product than Lucas, it's actually got additive in it. (detectable ones).

http://moreysoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/21001-MoreyS-HD-Engine-Oil-Stablzr.pdf

Antimony and zinc.

Stopped at Supercheap the other day, and a guy was fondling the Lucas, turns out his mitsubishi V6 is tappy, and his dealer suggested a 10W30 and Lucas.

He walked out with Morey's.

Quote:

Stopped at Supercheap the other day, and a guy was fondling the Lucas, turns out his mitsubishi V6 is tappy, and his dealer suggested a 10W30 and Lucas.

The dealer recommended Lucas? Interesting. Lucas also has a zddp additive so you can supplement aw as you want.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
It's not easy to find thicker oil. I've never seen 60 or 70 wt oil on the shelf. As the "experts" keep telling us a thicker oil needs less aw additives because of the thicker oil film.

Either you are hard of comprehension, or like twisting others' words...or just plain making stuff up.

Thinner oils make greater reliance on AW additives, is not the same as saying that thicker oils need less (or that diluting the additive concentration of an oil with lucas is correct).

I guess Mr. "Never" has never been to a Harley dealer.

I could have sworn I saw 20w-50 at Walmart. How much thicker does a person need than that.

Morey's is a different product than Lucas, it's actually got additive in it. (detectable ones).

http://moreysoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/21001-MoreyS-HD-Engine-Oil-Stablzr.pdf

Antimony and zinc.

I honestly laughed way too much at that.
blush.gif

"Oh you like it when I take off your cap, oooohh... And if I squeeze you, OH! Now you've made a mess, Lucas!"

~ Triton

I've been running lucas oil treatment since '03 or whenever in a '92 cherokee.

Just recently I tried it in the tacoma just for kicks. I think the truck does run a bit better.

I have had mechanic friends of mine and friends say they swear by this stuff!!!

Haters are just haters.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I've been running lucas oil treatment since '03 or whenever in a '92 cherokee.

Just recently I tried it in the tacoma just for kicks. I think the truck does run a bit better.

I have had mechanic friends of mine and friends say they swear by this stuff!!!

Haters are just haters.

And anecdotes without any formal data are just that. If your truck "runs better" with motor honey in it, then you might as well just start running 20w-50 in it, you'll have the same effect on viscosity but at least you aren't diluting the additive package.

If you are concerned about the lack of red awesomeness and the cool tackifier, a cup of chainsaw bar oil will give you both at minimum cost
wink.gif

Antimony and zinc.

Yep, very similar to Schaeffer's Oil #132.

and a guy was fondling the Lucas .............

I hope that's not aussie slang for std talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back