Chemical Guys Jetseal or another Sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided I am graduating to a Sealant over using a plain old wax. A sealant is more durable and will protect my car longer in the heat of Summer and the salt of Winter.
grin.gif
Does anyone have any recommendations for something easy to put on and that lasts a long time? Anyone have experience with Chemical Guys Jetseal? It looks to me to be a good product and easy to apply. It does cost $38 and I'm not sure how far the product will go.
I don't want anything that takes a lot of prep work. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Does it annoy you that I posted a new thread trying to narrow down my topic/ search?
confused.gif

Thanks for the link!!
By the way, the last time you posted on my thread you called me a woman, so keep up the great effort in your responses. Very helpful.

I received a pretty scattered response, prior, because I hadn't settled on using a sealant. (Spent hours combing through old threads....) I did get several recommendations to generally use a sealant. Phishin was the only response I got that recommended true sealants but I'm struggling with a couple of them because of the prep work. I found Jetseal and thought I would get some further feedback now that I narrowed that down. Need to get something ordered and on my wife's car before the end of next week as she is a teacher and returns to work soon.

Last edited:
I never called you a woman. I said you might be one when someone called you a guy. Especially involving the context of letting a car idle for 20 minutes. But I'm sorry for being wrong about that.

Anyways here is another link that maybe helpful:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3752024/What's_the_longest_lasting_sea#Post3752024

Thanks. I have read that and it's been the best thread I have found thus far as well. I was hoping to get a similar discussion going here just a bit more focused on my concerns as far as prep work and ease of use/ longevity.

For instance Rejex has the best price point but what is the prep-work like? Garak said it lasts but he didn't say how long. Somewhat relative....

FK1000 seems geared toward protection from the sun, but what about all year long? Would it be wise to have another sealant for the winter to use in conjunction if I went with it?

I can make the investment but I can't afford to waste my money in any way shape or form. Who can?

Last edited:
Ask 10 different people what kind of paint protectant is good and you'll get 10 different answers... and they're all probably pretty good suggestions.

How long something lasts heavily depends on how you use your car. How much do you drive it? How often do you wash it? Is it garaged or is it outdoors all the time? What type of weather will it see?

All that said, Chemical Guys generally makes a good product. Though I haven't used Jetseal, I wouldn't hesitate to if I wanted to indulge the purchase.

Looking at their application instructions, it is pretty similar to most modern sealants. Apply it thin, like the instructions say, and that bottle will go a long, LONG way.

I went with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant this spring. Application is similar to the Jetsam you're looking at and it also comes in a 16 oz. bottle. After about 6 applications (3 vehicles x 2 coats)... the bottle is still 3/4 full. Previous to this, I was using Poorboy's EX-P Sealant. I gave that bottle to a friend after three years of similar use and it was still half full. I had no reason to get rid of it, no real complaints, I was just bored of it and wanted to try something else.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Ask 10 different people what kind of paint protectant is good and you'll get 10 different answers... and they're all probably pretty good suggestions.

How long something lasts heavily depends on how you use your car. How much do you drive it? How often do you wash it? Is it garaged or is it outdoors all the time? What type of weather will it see?

All that said, Chemical Guys generally makes a good product. Though I haven't used Jetseal, I wouldn't hesitate to if I wanted to indulge the purchase.

Looking at their application instructions, it is pretty similar to most modern sealants. Apply it thin, like the instructions say, and that bottle will go a long, LONG way.

I went with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant this spring. Application is similar to the Jetsam you're looking at and it also comes in a 16 oz. bottle. After about 6 applications (3 vehicles x 2 coats)... the bottle is still 3/4 full. Previous to this, I was using Poorboy's EX-P Sealant. I gave that bottle to a friend after three years of similar use and it was still half full. I had no reason to get rid of it, no real complaints, I was just bored of it and wanted to try something else.

All good points. I appreciate your time in this response. I didn't realize so little product went such a long way.
In application of the Wolfgang, did you have to wash with a dish soap first to get rid of all prior wax? Do you use a polish before applying the the final product? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Yep, here's some more esp the first thread that's a sticky(New Accord's sealant procedure):

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/18-maintenance-detailing/

Some of the other threads are pretty good as well.

Thanks again.
It looks like the stripping of the wax is mandatory for a strong seal bond. I've seen that more than once. He is also using a polish which I was hoping I didn't have to.... but will if necessary.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

In application of the Wolfgang, did you have to wash with a dish detergent first to get rid of all prior wax? Thanks again.

Again, ask 10 different people...

The dish soap bit was always a Zaino thing. I'm not really a follower. Some people think it's silly and some people swear by it. Both camps show off good results, so do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I do all my correction in the spring. That usually involves clay and whatever polishing is necessary. I always look at this as establishing my "baseline" surface. From there I touch up over the summer as needed and do another full application in the fall.

I've just found Menzerna Power Lock at a better price point than the rest. The Critic highly recommends this product.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

In application of the Wolfgang, did you have to wash with a dish detergent first to get rid of all prior wax? Thanks again.

Again, ask 10 different people...

The dish soap bit was always a Zaino thing. I'm not really a follower. Some people think it's silly and some people swear by it. Both camps show off good results, so do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I do all my correction in the spring. That usually involves clay and whatever polishing is necessary. I always look at this as establishing my "baseline" surface. From there I touch up over the summer as needed and do another full application in the fall.

So in theory, if I don't clay and polish, I'm "locking in" contaminants and debris with the seal? Not lazy, just have some back issues.

Last edited:
I use Chemical Guys, but their Factory Sealant. I don't know if it's available anymore, but I can say they make some quality stuff. When I switched from wax to sealant, I washed my car with a weak dilution of degreaser (making sure not to let it dry on the paint). Afterwards, I did not polish or anything. I just applied the sealant. Car has lived outdoors for 2.5 years since new, and I recently clay barred it and reapplied the sealant. Still shines very nicely. You can wax on top of sealant, but not sealant on top of wax. When I dry my car after washing, I use a spray wax to maintain the sealant. The spray wax keeps it slick, and provides something else as the first layer to get worn away by sun or whatever else. I haven't had any bad experiences with Chemical Guys stuff. You can order from their website, or amazon.com. Just look at the price of what you're ordering and see which is cheaper. May as well get the gallon of the sealant, the pump for the gallon bottle, and some quality microfibers while you put in the order.

So in theory, if I don't clay and polish, I'm "locking in" contaminants and debris with the seal? Not lazy, just have some back issues.

You're sending mixed messages. In your first thread, you stated that you wanted the longest lasting, best protecting product. In this thread, you start out saying you don't want a product that requires a lot of preparation. Unless someone states otherwise, I don't think you can have both.

From this, what is seems you really want is an AIO (all in one) sealant that contains a small amount of cleaner. Duragloss 105 fits this bill, as well as others.

Most high end sealants have NO cleaners, thus necessitating a thorough pre cleaning. Note that the cleaning is also necessary for proper bonding, not just to avoid "sealing in bugs and debris".

Also, don't confuse cleaning the paint (removind contaminants) with correcting the paint (removing defects-swirls, haze, etc.).

Maybe you should be asking about AIO's instead of high end sealants??

Also of extreme importance is technique. Using wrong washing technique can induce swirls. Using the wrong applicators, towels, etc. can result in marring also.

Best of luck in your quest for the best.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

You're sending mixed messages. In your first thread, you stated that you wanted the longest lasting, best protecting product. In this thread, you start out saying you don't want a product that requires a lot of preparation. Unless someone states otherwise, I don't think you can have both.

From this, what is seems you really want is an AIO (all in one) sealant that contains a small amount of cleaner. Duragloss 105 fits this bill, as well as others.

Most high end sealants have NO cleaners, thus necessitating a thorough pre cleaning. Note that the cleaning is also necessary for proper bonding, not just to avoid "sealing in bugs and debris".

Also, don't confuse cleaning the paint (removind contaminants) with correcting the paint (removing defects-swirls, haze, etc.).

Maybe you should be asking about AIO's instead of high end sealants??

Also of extreme importance is technique. Using wrong washing technique can induce swirls. Using the wrong applicators, towels, etc. can result in marring also.

Best of luck in your quest for the best.

No intent to send mixed messages. Just learning as I go here. If I have to wash with a degreaser and do a thorough clay bar before I put the sealant on, I am willing to do that to get the results of a top end sealant.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I use Chemical Guys, but their Factory Sealant. I don't know if it's available anymore, but I can say they make some quality stuff. When I switched from wax to sealant, I washed my car with a weak dilution of degreaser (making sure not to let it dry on the paint). Afterwards, I did not polish or anything. I just applied the sealant. Car has lived outdoors for 2.5 years since new, and I recently clay barred it and reapplied the sealant. Still shines very nicely. You can wax on top of sealant, but not sealant on top of wax. When I dry my car after washing, I use a spray wax to maintain the sealant. The spray wax keeps it slick, and provides something else as the first layer to get worn away by sun or whatever else. I haven't had any bad experiences with Chemical Guys stuff. You can order from their website, or amazon.com. Just look at the price of what you're ordering and see which is cheaper. May as well get the gallon of the sealant, the pump for the gallon bottle, and some quality microfibers while you put in the order.

Thanks for your response. A gallon of the jetseal would put me back $240. Ha
Good to know someone else has tried the product and had success. Very much appreciate the feedback.
grin.gif

So preparation to use a high end sealant...

1. Wash with dish soap.
2. Cleaner Wax.
3. Clay Bar
4. Sealant (Let set for 20+ minutes depending on product directions.)

Sound right?

Chemical Guys' website should be pretty helpful in telling you what to do for best results. I am not trying to win car shows, I just try to keep my cars looking good and preventing rust and/or fading of the paint. I'm not ever going to pay $270 for a gallon of sealant haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back