'11 Fusion, very odd brake wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I decided to rotate the tires and lube the brakes on our Fusion. Car has just under 50,000 miles. Admittedly, I never lube brakes (I will going forward!). Even though I live in the rust belt, I have never had an issue on any car with brakes wearing oddly, hanging up, etc. The Fusion is a different monster. Flashback to last winter, when the car was 3 years old, the rear brakes were grinding something fierce. It turns out that the pads were badly seized into their slides (the track, not the pins), causing the rotors to wear unevenly also. I replaced the pads, cleaned and lubed everything.

Now yesterday, I see that the back side of all 4 rotors, and the fronts of 1, are wearing crooked, unevenly, etc. On a 4.5 year old car? The slide pins all still had lube and didn't seem to hang up. Pin boots sealed well and were pliable, and the pins themselves looked fine. And the track slides weren't sticky. I lubed everything with some rubber-safe moly brake grease, cleaned the shims, slapped it all back together, and the brakes still work fine. But a major brake overhaul is in order soon.

TL;DR... my brakes are wearing very strangely on a not-that-old car.

I wish I could say it was odd, but I'm noticed many people saying the same stuff. My neighbor's seems to have the same issues in the front...

What would I do on a problem car?
4 rotors and new pads.

If they fit really tight in the hardware grind/file them slightly.. Take them apart once a year after winter and clean them.

Rockauto or amazon for the rotors. Oem or your choice on the pads.

If any of the caliper bracket bolts are tight spray them liberally with pb blaster or kroil. I just ended up having to drill and tap a bracket because the lower bolt was so rusty it took out the threads when I removed it.

That was a 2010 hyundai accent first brake service.
the other side I sprayed about 5x with kroil and it was much better just ran a tap through to clean the threads and it was ok.

I used regular raybestos rotors from amazon 55$ for 2$
and raybestos "professional ceramic?" pads 40$

Except for the pad castings being too big and needing a little work the parts were fine.

They literally wouldn't fit into the caliper bracket even without the stainless hardware.

about 30s with the 12$ HF angle grinder with a dewalt metal removal wheel. Then 30s making them smooth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back