Major issue with the F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, posted yesterday about wondering if my alternator was possibly going bad. Fast forward to today, parents took the truck up north to see family. Just got a call saying that they had stopped at a mall and the truck wouldn't restart. Got a jump, but the gauges, and pretty much amnything electrical related isn't working, and they can't accelerate to a very high rate of speed and motor is running rough. I'm not with them at this point but what does that sound like? Its hard for me to diagnose since I'm not there. Thanks!

Could still be the alternator, not enough juice to run the fuel injection etc. I've had similar issues with a bad alternator.

Same thing happened to my 2006 Explorer last weekend. Battery light came on coming home, code said low voltage. Test meter showed 11 volts while running. Took it off and went to Advance for a free check. Their test said alternator putting out 9.2 volts.
Came home ordered one with coupon code, just over $100 with lifetime warranty. Been working perfectly ever since.
Considered taking it and having it rebuilt. They wanted $165 with a week turn around.

I always look at the Battery, alternator, and starter as a trio of possible problems.

Since it starts.
You need to look at the alternator and battery. Battery is always the first thing for me to start with. Most likely to go bad. But since you are having problems with the accessories not running it sounds like your voltage is too low. Suspect the alternator, but test the battery as well.

Last edited:
As I said yesterday. You need an alternator. Now possibly an Alternator and Battery.

I also would check all the electrical connections and make sure the grounds are all clean and tight making good contact.

Amazing how a bad ground can cause so many problems.

It should have been fixed before the trip, not during. However, you'll need to at least have the alternator and battery tested and probably replace both. If it's not something they can do at their current location, you'll need to find a shop that is willing to try to fix it yet today. Otherwise it may be a long wait until next week.

And please don't ask them to try to drive it home in its current state.

The scenario you describe as "Wouldn't re-start" sounds like a battery issue.

The scenario you describe as "Anything electrical related isn't working" sounds like a alternator issue.

Put in a new battery and keep a spare in the bed.Its a "total loss" system now where its operating near totally off the battery and thus voltage is low and electronics only work within a small range of voltages.Prepare them for more dead batteries.

Sorry that this isn't helpful, though it looks like some good ideas coming in... But I have never had a Ford 3G alternator actually fail, including some with over 200k. Now, I have not been able to find a bearing that stays quiet in them but thats another story...

Have you already replaced the Fuel Pump Drive Modulator? It's a common issue with the F150. Just take a look at it to check if it is corroded. It's mounted on the frame crossmember above the spare tire.

Originally Posted By: Rand
As I said yesterday. You need an alternator. Now possibly an Alternator and Battery.
How far a drive home? Can it be done in daylight? Check the battery for water.Then charge it. Don't play the radio, or run the lights. Head for home or somewhere the truck can be fixed, depending.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Agreed, anytime battery voltage is less with engine running than off, the alt is NOT charging, period...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back