CV axle and control arm recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: t1snwrbrdr12

I have loose cv joints I believe. Trying to solve a vibration on acceleration. Pretty widespread problem and fix is the cv joints as per identifix and resources I've checked.

Make sure you don’t have worn engine/trans mounts that are causing the drive train to sit lower in the cradle than normal. Lowered cars also can have this sort of issue and need a plate installed under a mount to correct the inner CV joint angle.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

You didn't rebuild them, you regreased them.

He replaced the boot, which is basically the only thing that causes most joints to fail. Keeping the boots from being ruptured for long periods will keep most joints running for the life of the vehicle.

I'm a big proponent of keeping and re-booting OE axles as so many aftermarket ones are junk and the good ones aren't cheap.

Axles will wear out internally if you run them long enough.

You didn't rebuild them, you regreased them.

He replaced the boot, which is basically the only thing that causes most joints to fail. Keeping the boots from being ruptured for long periods will keep most joints running for the life of the vehicle.

I'm a big proponent of keeping and re-booting OE axles as so many aftermarket ones are junk and the good ones aren't cheap.

Axles will wear out internally if you run them long enough.

And with a lever long enough I could move planet earth...

In reality, OE axles almost never wear out. When I worked in a shop they were generally replaced because broken boots had caused them to wear out prematurely or they were damaged from an impact.

An axle with good boots will last the life of the vehicle on many, many vehicles.

In reality, OE axles almost never wear out. When I worked in a shop they were generally replaced because broken boots had caused them to wear out prematurely or they were damaged from an impact.

An axle with good boots will last the life of the vehicle on many, many vehicles.

What about an axle leaking grease through the boot-flange interface without boot failure and with the band/clamp still in place? General consensus I have seen is to replace, but sounds like your experience shows repacking with grease and a new clamp would be superior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back