Drive Works Air Filter Clean for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my DriveWorks Air Filter on for 2 years..

I have checked it at least 4 times and each time i check the filter its very clean.

i mean I can see light threw it very easy and there is very little dust / dirt.

However I have read to change at 12K miles.

I have had this filter for like 20K miles.

What do you guys think???

I just bought a FRAM Air Filter at Wallymart for 12$

My question is, If the air filter is clean is it okay to run longer?

or does very fine / small dirt get trapped in the air filter and disrupt the air flow?

I chekecd my air filter like 3 months ago and it was fine.. but I was at Wallymart tonight and saw my filter there for 12$

Thats the same price as the Drive Works at AAP.

I would think the FRAM AIR FILTER would be just as good or better then the driveworks.

however Im amazed how long this one has been in the car and just how clean it is.

What do you think?????????????

I usually wait until 20k, never had a problem. 30k probably would be fine too. Unless of course you drive across the desert or are four wheeling in the dirt.

The real answer would be a restriction gauge. I'd keep running it and even check it less often. Let your butt dyno be the restriction gauge. 12k is a plot to sell bunches of filters. The amount of ambient dust in the air varies widely by location and season.

When you check it you pinch the seal and compromise it.

The first few 1000 miles clog the "bigger holes" and the filter actually starts working better as far as your engine health is concerned.

If there's a roadworks where they're kicking up dust momentarily I try to coast through with the throttle closed, pick up less dust that way.
wink.gif

Correctly shaped intake tubing can do a very good job of letting contaminates fall out of the airstream before reaching the filter box, so it may be that is why your filter looks so clean.

As above, get a restriction gauge and change based on data.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Correctly shaped intake tubing can do a very good job of letting contaminates fall out of the airstream before reaching the filter box, so it may be that is why your filter looks so clean.

As above, get a restriction gauge and change based on data.

As well as location of the intake. My sig car has the intake way down near the road, gets nice cool air but vacuums up road dirt. Our fleet trucks have the intake over 3 feet high, their filters stay clean for years.

And times a dozen on the gauges, they were standard on our trucks for years now we fit them to anything with a filter...

Quote:
I have had my DriveWorks Air Filter on for 2 years....

I have checked it at least 4 times and each time i check the filter its very clean....

What do you think?????????????

Checking an air filter often by opening the air box is one of the worst practices for keeping the air filter seal intact and avoiding leaks in that area and maintaining efficiency.

As for air filter efficiency, yes it becomes more efficient with use. Unless one lives in a dusty area an AF needs to be changed much less often than the 12k mi./12 month manufactures recommendation on the box. That recommendation is one designed to sell more AF's.

If interested in more info about AF filter efficiency and service interval, the links are to a couple good bitog threads on the topic.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3753879/1/When_To_Change_Air_FIlter???

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...K..warning,_GRA

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Ummmmm, guess I better check the Honda OEM with 50K on it..........

You can't check jack by eye, you need a gauge or an OBD device that gives you live MAF or MAP values.

If you're area is dusty it MIGHT want changing, if your area is not dusty and you have a standard filter/box/intake then I'd bet you a beer it doesn't show enough restriction to warrant changing yet.

I have a restrictor gauge on my truck. It has barely moved in the 1 1/2 years I have had my truck. So I am going to let it ride for atleast another year. I am running a Champ Labs.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Air filters on most modern cars can go 30K miles.

Thanks.

I already put the FRAM Air Filter on...

I took a vacuum and sucked out any dirt that was on the bottom of the air filter holder..

Thanks for what you all said.

If I wouldnt of already bought a filter I would of left it on...

but I dont think it will hurt anything to add the new one.

Thanks

It's clean because it is passing all that grit. I go with Fram on air filters as they get dirty quicker than others I have used.You might want to check gaskets, air filter plumbing and associated clamps, intake air might be bypassing the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back