Which filter to run for a Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Honda Civic that has been running Mobil 1 5w-20 with a KN Oil filter since it was new.

What would be the best oil filter to run on the car and do not mind going for an more expensive filter since the car will be around until it dies. I will most likely continue using Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic oil unless there is a recommendation for a better oil.

I have seen Hondas run pretty good at 300,000 miles having their oil changed with quick lube oil and filters . The vehicles operation will dictate its life as well as proper care . The oil you use is about as good as there is and the filter is fine . The Amsoil, Fram Ultra and the Royal Purple filters are the top of the heap in the mainstream filters.

any, that engine doesn't care.

we have a 06 civic with 190kish now, the first 165k were on walmart quick lube oil changes @ MM 15%, I replaced the valve cover around 170k, and it was brand spanking new "looking" in there.

I have a fram ultra with 23k on it at the moment in 1 year, the engine still runs good.

Austrian Mahle and German Mann are the best filters available.

Hondas go forever on their rockcatcher factory filters so whatever you use should be fine.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter what filter you use. Honda OEM filters are far less efficient than anything else you can buy, and the engines still run forever. One member here said he used nothing but OEM filters and had over 400k miles on his Acura Integra when he sold it.

Many here believe the Fram Ultra filter is the finest filter that's available at a reasonable price and from nearly any store (Walmart, Advance, AutoZone, etc). That would be the XG7317 for your application. Other filters one tier down (like the Fram Tough Guard) are also good. I'm using a TG7317 right now on our MDX. The TG series uses a silicone anti-drainback valve like the Ultra uses -- but it's a less expensive media.

Personally, I like any filter with a silicone anti-drainback valve. It's not typical to see these in silicone on OEM filters, but every Honda OEM oil filter has one, so Honda must think it's worth having.

Originally Posted By: armenakadino
I have a 2009 Honda Civic that has been running Mobil 1 5w-20 with a KN Oil filter since it was new.

What would be the best oil filter to run on the car and do not mind going for an more expensive filter since the car will be around until it dies. I will most likely continue using Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic oil unless there is a recommendation for a better oil.

How much more expensive do you want to go? Those K&N filter run about $14. The Fram Ultra is just as good and cost less. I used Pure One when I had my 2009 Civic EX from 2008 to 2012.

Funny you mentioned "until it dies".....Was your car included in the engine block warranty extension? If the 2006 to early 2009 R18 engine blocks weren't cracking, I would still have mine. I travel a lot and didn't want to chance being stuck on the side of the road somewhere so I traded it for the Impreza. I would smell antifreeze from time to time but no visual evidence.

I'm using HAMP (Honda After Market Parts) and recently Wix filters and whatever SN 5W-20 oil is cheap on a 2007 V6 Honda Accord that I also plan to keep forever. And it's harder on oil than your Civic. I expect the engine to outlast the rest of my car.

In my opinion any brand name SN oil would be fine in a Civic - no turbo, engine not hard on oil, and no extended drain intervals - assuming no more than 5000 miles on a change.

I tend to buy a bunch of oil when I see a brand name oil at a good price (enough for a half dozen changes or so). Maybe it's only myth but I don't like changing brands too often. So far I've used Mobil Super 1000, Castrol GTX and Valvoline oil.

K&N oil filters are cheap Mexican [censored] now, no longer what they used to be.

My suggestion would be M1's filter, which is the same thing as the good old American K&N.

Wix makes great filters, too. Both the standard Wix/Napa Gold as well as Wix XP/Napa Platinum are high quality.

The main reason for the switch was KN moving manufacturing out of the US. I think im going to go ahead and either go for the Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra Filter. Thank you for help.

Originally Posted By: armenakadino
The main reason for the switch was KN moving manufacturing out of the US. I think im going to go ahead and either go for the Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra Filter. Thank you for help.

If that is your choice get the FRAM ULTRA
I think its much better then the Mobil 1 Oil fitler

Also did you look at Honda A01s via Ebay or Amazon?

The HONDA FILTECH A01 are very very good HONDA OIL FILTERS
and they last a long time.. I have a post here with 1 cut open with 7K miles on it and it looks very good.

There is another post here with a guy with 12K miles on the Honda Filtech A01 and it looks great

IMO Fram Ultra or if you want buy the HONDA A01 ** FILTECH ** in bulk online...

Originally Posted By: David1
The HONDA FILTECH A01 are very very good HONDA OIL FILTERS

The HAMP filters I bought were made by Filtech too. Seems there's a difference between the Honda 01 and 02 filters. I could never get the better Honda filters in Edmonton, so I bought HAMP/Filtech and WIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back