HID After Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO

I bought my Honda with After market HID LIGHTS... Its the one that has the
lil steel rectangular box near the lights.. I guess they are transformers..

I was told when them lights go out you cant go to Advanced Auto Parts or Wallymart
to get replacements.

My question is, how do I know what lights to put in there?

I know the bright lights are sylvania...

but is there a way to know what light i have to get?

Both are working now but I want to have spare ones

Or is it easy to remove the aftermarket kit and just plug in very good Lights I can buy at AAP or AutoZone or Wally mart?

Thanks

any info would be great

also all the identifying marks on the steal transformers have been worn away from heat.

Thanks for any info

Are you talking about the Sylvania Xenarc X1010? Do you have a wireless remote that turns them on and off? If so, you're lucky. It was sold as a DOT-legal auxiliary low beam. Haven't been made in years. You can find someone on EBay who's been trying to sell a set for $499. Maybe look at his pic to see if they're the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYLVANIA-OSRAM-X...2bb&vxp=mtr

I don't think you can get replacement bulbs because of the mount and electrical tail, but it's either a D2R or D2S, I can't recall.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Are you talking about the Sylvania Xenarc X1010? Do you have a wireless remote that turns them on and off? If so, you're lucky. It was sold as a DOT-legal auxiliary low beam. Haven't been made in years. You can find someone on EBay who's been trying to sell a set for $499. Maybe look at his pic to see if they're the same.

I don't think you can get replacement bulbs because of the mount and electrical tail, but it's either a D2R or D2S, I can't recall.

this is the best pic i can get right now b/c its [censored] RAINING OUT as always where i live

Not sure if its the same as pic on ebay.. but them things are $400
fcjjva.jpg

2883v9c.jpg

Last edited:

I have nothing on my keychain for lights.

but perhaps the pics might help.

Is it hard to unplug all that [censored] and just put regular lgihts in?

Sylvania makes ZXE lights at AAP, Im told they are not real HID they are just brighter then regular

Originally Posted By: horse123
Unplug that piece of [censored] ebay kit and plug in some regular halogen lights.

Is it a big job to remove the HID kit and put it back to lights I can buy at the store?

seems very silly to spend 400$ on a HID Kit...

[URL='http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYLVANIA-OSRAM-X1010-XENARC-AUXILIARY-DRIVING-FOG-LIGHTS-HID-XENON-COMPLETE-KIT-/321801364155?hash=item4aecdb22bb&vxp=mtr']http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYLVANIA-OSRAM-X...2bb&vxp=mtr[/url]

If I knew the size..

on the ebay site it says $11.99
the ebay app says its for 02 Honda Accord and it says it will work with any HID bulb
will this work???

someone said that i might have DSR.. but this says works with all..

what do you think?

2 HID Bulbs replacement 9006 9007 9004 9005 H1 H3 H4 H7 10k 12k 15k 6000K sizes

Bulb Sizes Available:

H1, H3, H4, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, H13

HB1, HB3, HB4, HB5

9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9008, 9145, 880, 881 ( all 800 series available)

D2R D2S D2C HID bulbs

Direct replacement for D2S OEM Xenon Bulb, ( D2S, D2R, D2C )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HID-Bulbs-replacement-9006-9007-9004-9005-H1-H3-H4-H7-10k-12k-15k-6000K-sizes-/300962663369?fits=Year%3A2002|Make%3AHonda|Model%3AAccord|Submodel%3AEX|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.0L&hash=item4612c5cbc9&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I read the lights last 15000 hours so perhaps I wont ever have a problem
but at least 1 time per day we get people asking for HID replacements lights for there car and we have to tell them we do not have them...

Hid bulbs put into halogen projectors are very bad. Hid bulbs do not have the same lighting characteristics as halogen bulbs. The projectors are different and must be made to match. Your probably blinding everyone with scattered light.

This forum is very helpful.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393807-H11-projector-bulbs-35w-HID-vs-LED

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380558-What-s-wrong-with-projector-retrofits

Here is some relevant lighting threads. The first one of is relevant to bulb differences and the second thread is about the facts of swapping in hid projectors. Both have good information for anyone who is new to this stuff.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Unplug that piece of [censored] ebay kit and plug in some regular halogen lights.

Yup.

Not the "every HID kit is evil" band camp again. Some projectors handle HIDs well, some don't.

Buying a "spare" is kinda worthless, chances are the ballast will go out before the "bulb" does. The only way to really find a replacement is to pull a burner (bulb) and start looking up part numbers.

Reverting back to halogen could be very simple, or very complex. It all depends what the previous owner did to make the kit fit. Chances are they did a relay harness and the while thing was plug and play, at which point you can just unplug it and reinstall some halogen bulbs.

Ok I found some paper stuck in transformer and you can actually see how wires
come out of this steal box or transformer and the wires from there plug into the orginal wire wire cable then the HID plug into that then into the headlight cover.

here are some pics

on the paper is says

GOLD HID

then says
Input Volt: 9-16V
Input Current: 10A MAX
Working Volt: 13.5V
Working Current: 3.2A
Output power: 55W
Temputure case: -10C + 105C

9-16V Vstart 23KVmax
+ -
IN OUT

Here is some pics of the bulb
and pic of the paper.

perhaps I can take the bulb out and a pic might be of more help.

2ufujjd.jpg

Do the markings mean anything??
hx0lft.jpg

I posted what this paper says above in BOLD
34yws29.jpg

So does anyone know what replacement bulb I need to get???

If this is not enough info I can remove the bulb..
If you feel removing the bulb might help???

Any info would be great.

perhaps I can take pics of the installation
as I said it looks like wires come out of this
steal box that then connect to the OEM wires

but I rather not do all that ...
Right now the bulbs work.. but I do not want 1 to blow
then be stuck, however I read the HID bulbs last 15000 hours.

Hope this will tell me what replacement bulb to use.

Thanks for help.

Are you serious?

Thats 155$

I dont need the whole headlight cover... Im just asking about bulb replacements.

I think i found them here.

http://www.amazon.com/6000K-Xenon-Replacement-Light-Bulbs/dp/B004LDNBVC

AGT Gen II 6000K 9006 Xenon HID Xenon Replacement Light Bulbs

They look exactly the same...
but as I said, I might have to remove the bulb to see.

however 155% isnt going to happen.

Last edited:
Yes I'm serious. Oem housings are the best way to fix the previous owners stupidity. Your car has halogen reflectors, not even oem projectors. If you have oem housings It's scattering light into oncoming traffic and your not putting the light where it needs to be. That means you're headlights which are life safety items are not functioned as intended by the manufacturer who probably had thousands of hours of research and development to make sure it was correct.

All too often these items pose serious safety risks up to and including causing fires or leaving you out at dark with no lights.

Do you have a picture of the front of your headlight housings?

Please make a thread at the forum I recommended which has lighting experts on hand.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included

Also the bulbs you linked are junk. Anything quoting a halogen bulb part number is going to be illegal junk... Literally. 9006 is a low beam halogen part number.

Real hid part numbers are like D2S, D2R, D2C, D4S, Phillips and Osram are the leading manufacturers for quality bulbs, although they shouldn't be used in your halogen reflectors.

Not trying to come off as harsh, but see this stuff way too often and gets to me sometimes.

I applaud your efforts 901memphis.

But it is pretty much wasted effort.

I get seriously irritated with HIDs in halogen reflectors/projectors.

It is an Obnoxious blinding glare, and it enrages me, and the worst part is, the person behind the illegal unsafe lighting, believes their blinding unfocused flood lights actually help them see better, but the fact is excessive foreground light constricts pupils, lets in less light to the retina, and negatively affects distance vision.

Only those who drive the speed limit in the fast lane and hold up traffic flow, are worthy of more contempt.

It would be one thing if HID kits made things better, but aftermarket HID kits usually make things worse which is why anyone who knows about them hate them. The problem is that people think they actually do look brighter on the short range but because the projectors aren't designed for them, they blind other drivers and long range vision can be worse than regular halogens. Basically most HID kits are not DOT approved and hence are not street legal.

And I really doubt the ones you have are good for 15000 hours, probably more like 1500 as real HID bulbs are in the 2500 hour range and those can last 10 years. Some super bright halogen bulbs only last 150-200 hours and those blow after a year or two.

Forget HID or LED conversions. I see plenty who leave their high beams on all the time or have a burned out low beam and compensate by leaving on the high beams. Combine that with those driving for miles with the turn signal going.

Inattention, distraction, lack of consideration and courtesy, etc.

We just seem to live in a world with an ever increasing number of self-center morons.

I would buy new kits. I get mine from http://www.vvme.com/ The bulbs last about a year and a half but are cheap.

With the OP's set up you probably need to worry about the connector at the ballast. My cheap ballast have lasted through three sets of bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back