A/C issue (shudder, pop, then mist/smoke) + more

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about a month ago my Fiance was driving her 2008 Saturn Astra with the A/C on full blast while sitting at a light. From what she told me is that the car made a shuddering feeling while getting on the gas, at the same time there was a pop then a "cloud of smoke" behind her. She called me and I told her to stop in the parking lot (shes smart and already did) and to check under the car for fluids. She said there was none. So she had to get home and drove with the A/C on against my will. She said the A/C works barely now and is not cold at all. Now when I got back I checked and sure enought there was no fluid beneath the car and its not cold. What is also does is create a wirring noise only when the A/C is on, and it gets progressively louder as the RPMs raise; but only to a point and then the noise plains out no matter how much its rev'd. When you turn the A/C off the noise goes away.

Now go back to this January, we had the radiator replaced and the A/C condensor replaced because they were both bent from the PO (yeah I suck and didn't notice it, but we got it cheap).

Now I plan on bringing it into a shop to have them check it out (not a GM dealership but somewhere else that does A/C systems).

Do you think the dealership when installing the A/C condenser recharged it with to many ounces of A134 refrigerant and caused it to "pop?" as in a pressure release valve or something, I'm thinking the noise is related to the compressor clutch since the noise increases with RPMs.

Sounds like the compressor is shot. The smoke probably was the belt slipping on the pulley when it locked up.

Remove the aircon, get a slightly shorter belt and drive with the windows down a couple of inches.
Less weight, less parasitic drag, more power, more mpg and almost free.

My mdx was popping with puff of smoke. It turned out to be $10 for new ac relay that was sticking and another $80 to properly top off the lost freon .

The pop was the pressure release valve in my case.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Probably didn't use enough oil when recharging after replacing the condenser.

I'd say they "forgot" to add oil when they replaced the condenser and recharged

Or it could be that they used the incorrect type of oil, this car is an Opel so it is possible that there is a different type of PAG for it compared to most US GM offerings.

Last edited:
Hey sorry for the long wait
The car has 28K on it.
In MI it can get hot at times, like the last 2 weeks has been 80+. She rides with it on full blast whenever so its full stress 100% of the time when it's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back