Honda J-series ejecting spark plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across a vehicle which had helicoil installed as indicated by the dealer repair work sheet. What would have caused it? These engines are NOT known for that! Importantly, is this something which should give me a pause to pursue further with this vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
? These engines are NOT known for that!

They are.

But when a Honda piston slaps, the transmission fails or it ejects a spark plug, it's okay because "it's a Honda!"

When a Ford ejects a plug, it's a piece of garbage.
When a GM aluminum smallbock v8 piston slaps, it's a piece of garbage.
When a Chrysler minivan transmission fails, it's a piece of garbage.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

They are.

But when a Honda piston slaps, the transmission fails or it ejects a spark plug, it's okay because "it's a Honda!"

When any component on any car fails*, it's a piece of garbage.

*does not include gaskets, radiator hoses or any wear&tear items.

They are.

Documentation for that remark?

I guess I was not looking hard! Is that specific to 3.2L engine of that generation? Unfortunately I did not remember to note down the offending cylinder number.

Yes, some years of the Honda V-6 are known for this. Interestingly, I've never heard of a thread insert actually having to be used -- spark plugs seem to sometimes "loosen" in the problem engines (perhaps due to damage to threads, problems with the coil as that one thread noted, etc), but new plugs torqued to the correct spec seems to fix the problem in most cases.

The problem years seem to be the 2006-2008 timeframe. Some Ridgeline and Pilot owners from this era have suffered from this.

Nothing's perfect.

The imports are seemingly "forgiven" for a raft of maladies,and that is what continues the thought process that imports are great,and domestic is junk.When all problems are tallied,none of them are any good.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When all problems are tallied,none of them are any good.

I think the opposite is true: I think they're all good. Your chances of having a Honda launch a spark plug are very low. Your chances of having a Ford Modular launch a spark plug are very low. Your chances of having a GM Lambda throw a timing chain are very low. Your chances of having a Nissan chuck a CVT are very low. Statistically, all "common" problems are very unlikely to happen to any one person.

I didn't buy either of our Hondas for perceived durability, and I've generally had excellent service from domestic brands (GM especially). I've owned far more domestic vehicles than "import" ones. I buy what I like at the moment and recommend to others to do the same -- don't buy based on perceived dependability. Pretty much anything you buy today will last a good long time if taken care of. Buy what you like and enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The imports are seemingly "forgiven" for a raft of maladies,and that is what continues the thought process that imports are great,and domestic is junk.When all problems are tallied,none of them are any good.
So define
"domestic".

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The problem years seem to be the 2006-2008 timeframe. Some Ridgeline and Pilot owners from this era have suffered from this.

Can anyone tell me which cylinder is #5 on a 2008 Pilot? I should probably check mine.
I cringe at how hard it may be to get to the BACK plugs.

I was reading somewhere about a head casting issues on some j engines. Google may help you find it, it seems a common enough problem.
The chances of Honda admitting to a bad casting are about zero

They are.

So true, if you believe the majority of internet forums. The slack that the Japanese brands, and especially Honda and Toyota, receive when they have problems is just astounding.

Getting to the back plugs is not as bad as it looks- pretty easy actually once you get all the stupid plastic cladding off.

I know of lots of Honda and lots of F150/Expedition/Excursion/CVPI owners. None of the Honda owners have had this problem. One F150 owner launched a spark plug. Most of the rest had expensive spark plug changes.

That's my non-scientific anecdotal survey evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back