Can you answer me this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
sorry but i just do not understand the complexities of oil so just pretend your talking to a 10 year old :)
i have a 2010 Honda PS125 4t motor scooter with about 10k on the clock, (kilometres)
i have heard they are prone to burning oil but this needs topping up very often,
i have been using Rockoil Synthesis 4 5W-40 fully synthetic API SL ACEA A3 JASO MA / MA2

I just noticed the handbook recommends SAE 10W-30 JASO T903 Standard MB

I would like to know:
1... Is the 5W-40 thinner than the SAE 10W-30
2... Would using the SAE 10W-30 mean it would burn less oil
3...Although the 5W-40 is not the recommended oil is it ok to use / is it better.

Also i am aware the amount of oil it uses could be due to wear / worn parts etc'
many thanks for all and any advice .... Ray.

You should use whats in the owners manual. If its an engine with a lot of miles, some people use a thicker oil to cut down on oil burning. That may or may not help.

You can in most cases use 5W40 instead of 15W40. or 0W20 instead of 5W20.

But I would not use 5W40 instead of 10W30.

At operating temp, 5W40 will be thicker than 10W30.

Originally Posted By: rayshine

Thicker.

Unlikely, but possible.

3...Although the 5W-40 is not the recommended oil is it ok to use / is it better.

Probably OK to use. Probably not better.

I've seen Honda water cooled bike engines go 50,000 miles easily, but I'm not sure what the life expectation of the scooter engines might be. At some point if you just want to keep a worn engine going something like 20W 50 is not going to hurt anything. If you rebuild the engine, go back to the factory recommendation.

Thanks for the reply, i am going to drain it and try the 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You should use whats in the owners manual. If its an engine with a lot of miles, some people use a thicker oil to cut down on oil burning. That may or may not help.

You can in most cases use 5W40 instead of 15W40. or 0W20 instead of 5W20.

But I would not use 5W40 instead of 10W30.

At operating temp, 5W40 will be thicker than 10W30.

Thanks for the reply, i am going to drain it and try the 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Try a good 10w30. If that doesn't slow down the consumption, then a 15w40.

Thanks for the reply, i am going to drain it and try the 10w-30. then maybe 20-50 as you suggest.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I've seen Honda water cooled bike engines go 50,000 miles easily, but I'm not sure what the life expectation of the scooter engines might be. At some point if you just want to keep a worn engine going something like 20W 50 is not going to hurt anything. If you rebuild the engine, go back to the factory recommendation.

Thanks for the reply, and keeping it simple..... i got it !
smile.gif

i am going to drain it and try the 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Thicker.

Unlikely, but possible.

Probably OK to use. Probably not better.

I would like to know:

1. No
2. No
3. Ok to use, not better.

Im one to follow much of what the manufacturer recommends. You just noticed it calls for a different oil then you have been using, try the correct oil, then go from there. You will be able to compare if you use less oil with the 5/40 once you go to the 10/30.

I don't see how using a 30 wt oil will cut oil consumption over using a 40 wt oil, in a oil burner. You have to decide which makes more sense $$$ wise, using a heavier wt oil. Or doing motor rebuilding.,,

A 30wt will meet and exceed your mileage expectations... running a 40wt will just cost you
horsepower with no increase in longevity...

Since you have scooter....so there is no shared sump with gearbox.....you can use "whatever" oil....with that I mean intedned for cars.....trucks (cheaper price in comparison with motocycle oils!)

Because you mentioned that you have scooter + problems with burning oil.....I think that this is more problem corelated with low HTHS number of your previous oils....

With that in mind I will choose synthetics and I will also try to buy HDEO oil (better oil base)....

In EU we are using 5w40 and 10w40 viscosities......dont obey those yeenks....they will try to persuade you to use 0w20 and 5w20
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back