Transmission Fluid Level Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my fluid about 3 months ago with 7.4 quarts (99 Malibu 4t40e). I changed the passenger side axle and lost a lot of fluid. I forgot about losing that fluid and kept driving it. I disconnected the cooler line for some reason and lost a lot of fluid also. I bought a quart of fluid and checked it and it still showed full. It also showed full before I lot all of this. I know I didn't over fill it. The car doesn't have a dipstick, it has a check plug that you remove while hot with car level and in park. But I know it's not full. I lost at least 1/2 quart all together. Do you guys think I should add a little bit? I don't want it overfull or under full either. And Saturday I'm going into NC to visit family and that's about 300+ miles for me. The car just tripped over to 229,000 miles. So I don't know what's going on. Thanks guys!!

Make sure it's on level ground, and check the manual. Some you check hot, some you check cold, some you check both hot and cold, and some you need to plug in the factory software to cycle valves and actuators and things.
Manuals are much easier.

I checked the manual and it said it shouldn't lose fluid unless it had a leak and take it to a dealer for certified service blah blah blah. It says online that it should be checked hot and level in park. Which I did all the times I checked. Thanks!

Last edited:
...of course, with the motor idling. Sure would be easier with a dip stick. I have two of them in my fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back