Manual Trans are Disappearing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many automotive manufactures don't have manual transmission available for most models, some even don't have any manual transmission at all. Only few manufactures have manual transmission for some models, Honda is one of those few and only with some Accord and Civic trim levels.

The reason is manual sold less than 5% of total vehicles in 2014, cost of certify manual car is high and volume is so low, such that car manufactures just drop it.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/question-of-the-day-why-do-people-buy-manual-124248577082.html

And the flaw is, say, Honda thinks someone buying that 5% of manual civics would just settle for an automatic one when in fact they might jump ship for, say, VW and never look back.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I've never met a person driving a honda that would drive a rubble heap like a VW and vice versa.

Hi, nice to meet you. Now you have.
smile.gif

Back to the topic at hand, I wear this shirt on a regular basis...
http://blipshift.com/products/conservation-expert

You're just noticing this now?
You want to save manuals as a choice?
Go out and buy a new one and when you get the inevitable satisfaction survey, write that you wouldn't have bought the car with an automatic.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I've never met a person driving a honda that would drive a rubble heap like a VW and vice versa.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I know there are many guys that have had Ford or GM pickups for years, but have now gone to Dodge because they still offer a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The reason is manual sold less than 5% of total vehicles in 2014,

Many manufacturers purposely contribute to this decline. They only offer manual trans on the most stripped down models and even then, often times they don't have one on the lot, so you'd have to special order it and then wait for it. Most people don't want to wait because they love instant gratification so they just give up and buy a slushbox instead that they can drive off the lot today. And then you wonder why manual trans sales are declining.

Automatics are soooo much better!

I can text and drive, eat and drive, do extreme sports and break a leg.... And drive.

Well, technically I could do any of that WITH a manual also... Using my third leg. But this isn't about me.

Toyota was so thoughtful that they even took out the icky dipstick and now I can keep a fluid in there that looses it's additive pack by 30k for 100k. And if I want to do a fluid change and level.... All I need is a laptop and proprietary software and a lift and two crush gaskets and about a half hour ... Just to check the level.

Lifetime sealed automatics forever! Awesome.

When is the last time the majority of vehicles out there came with a manual transmission as standard equipment, mid to late 1970's maybe? I guess what I'm getting at is they've probably numbered
I've owned many 4 and 5spd standards and currently own a 2014 5spd. I don't get great enjoyment out of it. It's a regular daily-driver car.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I know there are many guys that have had Ford or GM pickups for years, but have now gone to Dodge because they still offer a manual transmission.

10 years ago, I could understand that logic. But it's 2015, and when I have the choice between a G56 and AS69RC in a new Dodge, the decision is a very easy one to make.

Plenty of Chevy Sonic stick shifts on the lots! I wanted this style for the kids....keeps them driving and not goofing around. But I lost...bought an LT Sonic.

Also they were a couple grand cheaper!

Manuals have been disappearing for the last 10 years. With modern turbocharging and good trans tuning I can see why. Also who wants to sit in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two every day with a stick shift? I guess me, because I've owned one for the last 8 years. I'd buy another.

I have both and enjoy both. The stick on the M5 is brilliant, as is the programming on the NAG-1.

For a "fun" car, I like the stick better. That's what I had in the Mustang too. The Charger with the auto is more "practical", albeit still fun.

My Mazdaspeed 3 has a manual and the new one coming is going to be a stick as well. Apparently Mazda still likes manuals. But quite frankly, automatics are ok by me, especially these new 8 speeds. What I fear most is the proliferation of CVTs........

Disappearing? No, they continue to be the top sellers by a runaway margin in the rest of the world, only in the
crippled USA does the slush box outsell the stick.
Too many lazy people here, that also can't see the cost benefit of the stick as well. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and much more durable and reliable than ANY
automatic style unit.

Thankfully this is an American disease. The rest of the world still gets manuals and it's not seen as a special talent to be able to "drive a stick".

Heck, over here the auto is still sometimes advertised as an "upgrade" and is more expensive.

My wife and I recently came across a '98 Ford Ranger 3.0/5 speed. This was my cousin's truck who recently passed and we bought it from the estate. My wife hadn't driven a stick since she was about 12-13 years old, but learned quickly and now doesn't stall the vehicle even if she stops and then continues on an uphill incline. She also has no problems driving it in large cities. Thanks to the manual transmission, it's her "go to" vehicle when she just wants to do some economical, fun driving, all while getting ~24 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back