car i am buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone ok so i mentioned earlier on i was considering buying a new car. Because my focus has been problem after problem. Looks like tomorrow i will be taking delivery of a 2015 dart. Now i did make some concessions im getting the rallye package i wanted but im not getting the touch screen stereo and I don't get the 1.4 turbo. I get nice wheels the rear sway bar power windows and locks the interior i wanted. So i am giving up 2 things. My thoughts i can add a touch screen down the road and the 1.4 well. Im torn its more fun than the 2.0 but probably not as long lived and im sure its more to maintain. Am i thinking right on this? I don't know much about the 2.0 so please any info is appreciated. They still have to run the car through the lender but he said it will all be fine. So i should get it tomorrow

117h3r4.jpg

What do you guys think ? And as it looks my payment will stay almost the same which is great news. Considering i was worried about taking a huge beating

Originally Posted By: ram_man

What do you guys think ? And as it looks my payment will stay almost the same which is great news. Considering i was worried about taking a huge beating

Looks like a nice car.
You can't tell if you are taking a beating based on " my payment".
You always negotiate the price of the car, not the size of your payment.

A higher payment over a shorter term may be better than a lower payment over a longer term.
You need to base what you can afford on the price, not what you can pay each month.
Salesmen love those who only think about my monthly payment.

Last edited:
You'd be much better off buying a car you can afford, rather than buying based on a payment. You'll spend your life making perpetual payments that way.

Best of luck with it. I hope an Illinois-built FCA automobile treats you and your wallet better than a Michigan-built FoMoCo car.

I really like the 1.4T in my Cruze. But it does run best on premium, and is a real stickler for punctual oil changes using full synthetic oil. The FCA 1.4T would be the same maintenance-wise. The power is nice, but it does come at a price.

Any particular reason for choosing a FCA product over the other choices?

FCA products are still a bit "untested" from a historical standpoint.

If I was to buy a Dart,it would be the 2.0/manual combo.But I am not sold on the "World" engine,even though many thousands(millions) have been sold.The automatic on these seem to have driveability issues as well.Frankly I would wait until the all new upcoming Chrysler engine is ready in a year or so.At that point the 2.0/2.4 will be gone and forgotten.

Hopefully it's a good reliable model from FIAT-Chrysler. Engineering, Styling and Feature-wise it's a winner and Auto Reviewers like the car.

You are betting that it's more reliable than the average FIAT (on whose platform it's based) and more reliable than the average Chrysler (whose factory assembles it). You are hitting 2 of Consumer Reports least reliable brands (Ford F-150, MINI, and Jeep rounding out the bottom five).

On the positive side, RAM has a good reliability rating (although half of those are built in Mexico).

Someone already mentioned the payment vice cost thing, so I won't beat that horse, but I will say that it seems very late in the game to be making a choice on whether you actually like the car you're purchasing. That seems absurd to me!

Note: I made a decision like this with one of my previous cars and kicked myself every single day for not spending a little more time thinking about it before moving forward. I'm almost certain a long(er) test drive would have made what I figured out soon after owning pretty obvious and I would have made a 1,000,000% better choice in passing (on the '07 Civic SI!)

Not to continue on the negative path, but what's with posting a pic at such an odd angle of...part of the car?

Last edited:
The dealer should let you have the car (or one very similar) for a few days to ensure you like it. That's what we did with the Charger when we were eyeing it as a replacement for the Subaru.

I had my Explorer for almost an entire week IIRC; was a rather extended "test drive". But both of those experiences had me (and us, this time around) certain that this was the vehicle we wanted. Both turned out to be decisions that were not regretted either.

Good looking car but I wish you luck for reliability, something that Focus definitely wasn't.

Quote:
What do you guys think ?

It looks crooked. Not a good sign.
smile.gif

I think I am getting whiplash reading your car threads. I have lost track how many of your cars have come and gone since you joined this forum. Wish you the best, but somehow feel down the road this may not be the car you were looking for.

What do you guys think ?

Congrats, I guess, but what happened to:
I wouldn't mind just having a cheap 3,000 car or so i can fix it myself and avoid the nonsense of dealerships and all the misery entailed.

Quote:

And as it looks my payment will stay almost the same which is great news.

Sigh...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Quote:

And as it looks my payment will stay almost the same which is great news.

Sigh...

I typically try to stay out of the financial part of these transactions but I am curious, did you come up with some cash or did they extend the loan term out a year or two?

IMO - if you want the 1.4t and a touchscreen radio, buy them or we will be right back here later with the "I shoulda's".

Of course I think you should keep the focus , but that is another thread.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I typically try to stay out of the financial part of these transactions but I am curious, did you come up with some cash or did they extend the loan term out a year or two?

I will take "72" months" for $500.00 Alex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
IMO - if you want the 1.4t and a touchscreen radio, buy them or we will be right back here later with the "I shoulda's".

+100000

If you're going to get yourself even more in debt, you should at least get what you really want or else you'll be kicking yourself later.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

+100000

If you're going to get yourself even more in debt, you should at least get what you really want or else you'll be kicking yourself later.

Well the way the deal is looking ill actually owe about what I owe right now. So I'm not gaining or losing much. And im not getting the 1.4 turbo because i think id kick myself later for getting it. Not as reliable more stuff to go wrong ect. The 1.4 is more fun but i think logically the 2.0 is a better decision. Also the touch screen is nice but I'm fine without it. I get everything else i want i can easily add a touch screen no big deal. .

The reason the pictures are at odd angles is because i couldnt move any farther back to take a better picture. The dealership is very tight!!
I really like the car and the quality is better than the focus was and the imperfections of the focus drove me crazy. But my by far biggest reason for dumping the focus was the 16 different visits to the dealer the 29 days out of service and the awful service at the dealer . Sure its easy to day you'd keep it when you haven't had to live with it. Its a miserable car and lifes to short. I can afford to get into something that makes me happy then why not do it? Money isnt everything. And if im not gaining a bigger payment or realky taking on much more debt then why not? The deal as it is right now looks alot better than i or them intially expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back