NGK V-Power Replacement Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking 30,000 miles. I know the Tacoma V6 uses them and recommends 30k as a replacement interval. The car came with NGK OE Laser Iridium plugs that were changed to 1-step colder NGK plugs when I added more boost. It runs awesome on the V-Power plugs. I know I could use NGK's Iridium IX plugs and probably run them longer, but they cost over twice as much as the V-Power plugs and I'm not sure there is any benefit to them other than being able to leave them in for 100,000 miles. That just seems too long to me.

30k or sooner. It depends on how they are wearing and how much of a pain it is to change them, or how other parts of the system such as wires or coilpacks deal with frequent changes.

FWIW, the OEM Laser Iridium plugs in my Cruze were just fine when they got changed at ~60k miles. 57k of those miles were running an aftermarket tune with more aggressive boost maps. I'm at 51k miles on the replacement Laser Iridium plugs I installed then. Those plugs are doing fine, so I'm going to leave them until they have 70-75k miles. The coilpack isn't meant to be removed often, so I'm not eager to break a $150 part to run slightly better-performing plugs.

Personally I like the Denso Iridium TT spark plugs. They are reasonably priced, have a small electrode for a beefy spark and are supposed to last 100,000 miles. They are relatively new on the market so the reviews on them are limited. I've had mine for about 5,000 miles and can say that I have nothing but praise for these plugs as the idle is now rock solid and acceleration, based on my seat of the pants feel when I hit the gas pedal, feels smoother.

How difficult is it to change the plugs on that engine? If it's a day-log job, then the Laser iridiums are the best choice because they last 100k

And yes, 30k is the limit for V-power, or any other copper plug

I have 30 ish k on a set in my jeep. Maybe .005 wear. I could really see 50k on em if they are doing as well for you as for me. From what I've seen v powers last much longer than standard copper. I think its some thing to do with their nickel alloy that they use

Pull one and check and measure gap. If they look overly worn replace em
Oh and you probably know this, but anecdotal evidence from my buddys with boost all say plain plugs are the way to go , plats seem to not like to mix

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How difficult is it to change the plugs on that engine? If it's a day-log job, then the Laser iridiums are the best choice because they last 100k

And yes, 30k is the limit for V-power, or any other copper plug

Takes 10 minutes.

I've been running BKR7E plugs in my A6 with 16psi of boost for well over 30k miles and they show very little wear. When I first got the car, I was fooled by the dealer and the Audi recommended interval of 40k with the Laser Iridium plugs. That was a waste of $80.

I'll easily get 60k out of these V-Powers, if not more. Plus they run better than the double platinum plugs I tried before.

Did I mention that they're $2 each at AAP after codes? For that price compared to OE I could change them ever OCI and still be ahead.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I've been running BKR7E plugs in my A6 with 16psi of boost for well over 30k miles and they show very little wear. When I first got the car, I was fooled by the dealer and the Audi recommended interval of 40k with the Laser Iridium plugs. That was a waste of $80.

I'll easily get 60k out of these V-Powers, if not more. Plus they run better than the double platinum plugs I tried before.

Did I mention that they're $2 each at AAP after codes? For that price compared to OE I could change them ever OCI and still be ahead.

Those are the exact plugs I am running as well.

Last edited:
On my Toyotas, they are spent by 30K. You can regap them and sand the ground electrode and maybe get another 10K, but they won't perform as well as new plugs, and at $1.99 a pop, I just throw a new set in every 30K.

When running colder plugs they will always foul out quicker than the stock heat range, so you need to pull a few plugs from time to time to check this out. Also, even the V Power iridiums won't last as long as the OE laser iridiums (even if both were the stock heat range) simply because the laser iridiums have both the ground and the electrode made of iridium, while on the V Powers, it's made partially of platinum instead, so it has a shorter life. So the V Power platinums in this case would have an even shorter life still.

In most cars, the OE Laser Iridiums can last an insanely long time, perhaps even the life of the vehicle! I've heard of people going hundreds of thousands of miles on the OE Laser Iridiums in Hondas for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back