City Express/NV200 users??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still looking for a replacement service vehicle. I was going to go with the Silverado but being to large for some driveways, alley ways, basketball hoops, narrow streets etc. so I passed.

I also ended up sinking about $600 into my 1999 Astro service van as well.

Quarks/complaints aside, is anyone driving a City Express or NV200?

I have found info, talked with a couple tradesmen who drive them, they seem okay with them. I would definitely lean toward a Chevy one, as the dealer is super close, and Chevy has the better service program. On the other hand....Nissan has a free upfit shelving promo, but the nearest dealer is over an hour away.

Seems like the Chevy lot is full of them....

They are the same truck underneath right? I guess I would choose based on the dealer and perks.
Have you looked at Ram Promaster City and Ford Transit Connect?

I have looked at the other models. Seems this is the most economical.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Also

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-nissan-nv200s-tires-and-retarded-solutions-to-pr-1697738045

Great write up! Seems this has been an issue that is not affecting every NV200. I spoke with one tradesman who has 20k on his tires, they look fine. I noticed he has one set of shelves, and stores most his parts in old plastic milk crates in the middle behind the partition.

Chevy offers a warranty on tires, I wonder how that would work??

It is really curious to me, the tire size on these new urban vans. The 185/60R15 is available from Firestone in a few models (Firestone FR710, Bridgestone Ecopia 422, etc). But as the linked article noted, it doesn't seem like these tiny vans have much capacity to actually carry anything...not with the small tires they're saddled with.

If you're going to be doing pure city gridlock stuff, I think the NV200 would have the advantage with the CVT. Otherwise, I'd go for a base model Transit Connect or ProMaster City.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It is really curious to me, the tire size on these new urban vans. The 185/60R15 is available from Firestone in a few models (Firestone FR710, Bridgestone Ecopia 422, etc). But as the linked article noted, it doesn't seem like these tiny vans have much capacity to actually carry anything...not with the small tires they're saddled with.

185/60-15 is a common tire size, but I don't think they are the correct load range.

Right now I drive an Astro. Downsizing to the City Express would be fine, as I can cut my stock on the truck.

Following the load range for the van should not be a problem. I wonder if this is the reasons for wear on the tires?

It seems this is a rare breed on the road. Not to popular, cheaper etc. But the size appeals to me.

I also like the transmission...smooth as silk!

I would just like more input from other drivers.

The tire issue does worry me, Chevy warranty does not cover wear.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
Following the load range for the van should not be a problem. I wonder if this is the reasons for wear on the tires?

Tire Rack does carry exactly one tire in this size and load rating: the Continental Vancofourseason. It's apparently a 185/60R15 Load Range C tire. It probably IS next to impossible to find in the broad market.

As the vans become more common the tire selection will expand, it was the same deal with the Transit Connect because of the payload the rear inflation pressure is 51lbs (iirc) and they are load range c or XL. At first you could only get the OE Contis, now there is a pretty decent selection, even though we still have issues with tire places putting regular tires on them if the driver does not watch them.

City Express has only been out a few months, NV200 of course longer. I've been in a City Express and I wasn't particularly impressed. Have not been in the Small Promaster.

I have a City Express for a couple days for testing and measuring.

-Drive is smooth, cannot even feel transmission
-making an appointment with local carpenter for shelving options
-have to test drive with boxed payload
-GM manual recommends Dexos1 brands, but in a pinch conventional oils are okay...ha ha
-manual states 1500# payload....Astro is at 1700#. V6 vs. 4cyl???

Will know more in a couple days.

Test drove with two water heaters and the dolly, suspension/rear dropped 3/4 of an inch. Weight was at least 300 pounds. Specs call for 1500 pound max.

Is that an extreme amount to drop?

Test drove with two water heaters and the dolly, suspension/rear dropped 3/4 of an inch. Weight was at least 300 pounds. Specs call for 1500 pound max.

I answered my own question....I loaded the 150 pound water heater into my Astro van and it dropped a 1/4 of an inch.

So I guess 3/4 not to unusual.

depends where you put the load regarding the rear axle... if you put the load before, part of the weight is carried by the front suspension, but if you put it behind, the rear has to hold all of it, AND some of the weight of the car that should be carried by the front.

I answered my own question....I loaded the 150 pound water heater into my Astro van and it dropped a 1/4 of an inch.

So I guess 3/4 not to unusual.

I imagine they use either progressive springs, or springs soft enough to drive OK when empty and then have long travel bumpstops that get used with a full load.

Well after several days of test driving, interviewing a couple more trades who drive them, I am making the purchase.

2015 Chevy City Express.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back