Tuner/chip to turn off AFM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been considering a chip or tuner device to turn off the AFM feature on my Silverado 5.3L. I've looked at the "Range" which gives you the option to turn it off when plugged in.

Anyone here have their AFM turned off with either a tuner or the range device?

I'm not having any issue with the truck. Consumption is about 1qt every 7500mi. I've just considered it to have when I tow, as well as for engine longevity. Thoughts?

Very ofte when the MAF is unplugged or broken the engine will revert to its stock, 'safety' maps to avoid running too lean.

Not great for economy (never is a tuner chip) and possible fuel dilution or bore wash issues in the pipeline

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I've been considering a chip or tuner device to turn off the AFM feature on my Silverado 5.3L. I've looked at the "Range" which gives you the option to turn it off when plugged in.

Anyone here have their AFM turned off with either a tuner or the range device?

I'm not having any issue with the truck. Consumption is about 1qt every 7500mi. I've just considered it to have when I tow, as well as for engine longevity. Thoughts?

If you move your manual selector to "5" the computer will never turn on the AFM. That's what I do when driving around town and towing. This shouldn't affect fuel economy because when you tow your truck will never stay in overdrive for any length of time, and around town hardly ever even reaches 6th gear for any length of time. The Range Device has had a few issues, but overall has been positive. However, I don't really see the need for either device doing what I suggested above.

Last edited:
My truck is a 2008 so I have the 4-speed 4L60-E transmission. I wish I was the six-speed unit. The six-speed didn't make it into the trucks until half way through 2009 model year.

I have a Superchips Cortex programmer. I love it, I am running a 87 octane tune. The 87 tune adjust not only the computer for power but it adjusts shift points and pressures. I also manually turned off AFM and turned up the rev limiter and speed limiter. The trucks drives like totally different truck now, it wants to go now and tranny is crisper. I get the exact same mileage running on 8 cyl mode full time. I havent tried the tow, performance, or gas mileage tunes yet. Not having AFM was the only reason I bought it and it so nice not dealing with the constant 4 cyl to 8 cyl back to 4 cyl etc anymore.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I have a Superchips Cortex programmer. I love it, I am running a 87 octane tune. The 87 tune adjust not only the computer for power but it adjusts shift points and pressures. I also manually turned off AFM and turned up the rev limiter and speed limiter. The trucks drives like totally different truck now, it wants to go now and tranny is crisper. I get the exact same mileage running on 8 cyl mode full time. I havent tried the tow, performance, or gas mileage tunes yet. Not having AFM was the only reason I bought it and it so nice not dealing with the constant 4 cyl to 8 cyl back to 4 cyl etc anymore.

This is the info I'm looking for! Is it a 2950 model? I plan to make this my next investment. Thank you very much for sharing your experience ChevyBadger!

I'm interested in one for my 03 avalanche. Can you reinstall the stock tune anytime you want? What tunes are available? I usually only tow with my truck, so usually i have at least 91-93 octane in the tank. So you have to retune for emissions?

Anyone know the real differences in brands? Bullydog , superchips?

Last edited:

This is the info I'm looking for! Is it a 2950 model? I plan to make this my next investment. Thank you very much for sharing your experience ChevyBadger!
Yep 2950, I am going to bust out the performance tune tomorrow. Judging by the 87 tune the performance tune should be pretty fun. If you do buy one make sure you update it right away, it made a big difference in mine. Glad I could help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm interested in one for my 03 avalanche. Can you reinstall the stock tune anytime you want? What tunes are available? I usually only tow with my truck, so usually i have at least 91-93 octane in the tank. So you have to retune for emissions?

With the Superchips I have I can tune it back to stock. Takes 5-10 minutes. It has tow, performance, 87 octane, gas mileage and custome tune options.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

With the Superchips I have I can tune it back to stock. Takes 5-10 minutes. It has tow, performance, 87 octane, gas mileage and custome tune options.

Thanks for the info!

Yep thats what I paid and I bought it on Amazon. My bro in law did as well a couple weeks before me. We both shopped around some and prices were similar all over. We just happened to have Amazon prime so I got free 2 day gauranteed shipping.

Just a note of caution when buying programmers off the web. The actual features vary considerably for each brand, in my sig car a superchips tuner was ridiculously simple yet a Diablo was a magnificent and flexible alternative.

Just use caution and make sure you know all the variables...

EXACT SAME RESULTS here! Everyone calls me crazy, nice to know I'm not alone
laugh.gif
. Only difference is the application (Impala SS 5.3L), 91 tune here, and my mileage is between 0.2-1.5 mpg better (maybe I'm lucky
21.gif
). Best investment I've made in ANY vehicle, EVER. I was burning a full quart of VSP every 750 miles. After the tune, disabling AFM, not a drop. Being able to adjust trans shift points and line pressures are a huge bonus. The cortex is (I think) discontinued, but there are still plenty floating around out there. I bought mine (after verifying the receipt) 2/14/14 for $288 + $5 shipping from Amazon via Keystone Automotive Operations. Maybe you can find a similar deal
21.gif
. Honestly though, in retrospect, $500 would have been worth it. Great product
thumbsup2.gif

Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll watch this thread.

Yep 2950, I am going to bust out the performance tune tomorrow. Judging by the 87 tune the performance tune should be pretty fun. If you do buy one make sure you update it right away, it made a big difference in mine. Glad I could help!

Let us know your thoughts on the performance tune after you give it a try! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back