2010 GMC Sierra Oil Catch Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the ports inside the catch can point down? At each other? I'm curious how you configured the inside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrir10vnx9h9qwf/%24_35.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Are the ports inside the catch can point down? At each other? I'm curious how you configured the inside.

Not sure why its not hyperlinking link above but just copy and paste it in your web browser or google UPR Products.

I have a 2011 Silverado w/the 5.3. I tow on a regular basis. If the manufacturer deemed this important they would have put one on IMHO. I'm coming up on 50,000 miles with no issues. I probably have 20,000 miles of that towing.

Tell that to the Hemi guys who sometimes have pools of oil sitting in their intake manifold, yet no catch can was ever installed from the factory. Let alone those who have done the research to show it was effecting performance.

Others with LS series engines have showed significant deposits in the intake manifold.

Every manufactured component has compromises, especially those that are mass manufactured.

That looks good. Now. I see you have a 2010 Terrain. I have a 2014 Terrain with the 2.4 and was thinking of installing a catch can after the warranty is up. Did you install
one on the Terrain? If you did, I would love to see how you did it.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
That looks good. Now. I see you have a 2010 Terrain. I have a 2014 Terrain with the 2.4 and was thinking of installing a catch can after the warranty is up. Did you install

As for the Terrain I'm simply going to splice an 1/4" inline air compressor filter I picked up at Harbor Freight to the existing PVC hose. Waiting on my new PVC hose I ordered from the dealer before cutting the current hose incase it doesn't work.

Nice job! I installed one on mine too and its working great. Still amazed at the guys who don't get 'oil catch cans' and reckon the manufacturer would have put one on if they were important. The manufacturer doesn't give a rats arse what happens once the car is out of warranty. It's insurance for further down the road and costs nothing except a small amount of effort.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
Tell that to the Hemi guys who sometimes have pools of oil sitting in their intake manifold, yet no catch can was ever installed from the factory. Let alone those who have done the research to show it was effecting performance.

Others with LS series engines have showed significant deposits in the intake manifold.

Every manufactured component has compromises, especially those that are mass manufactured.

Those are Hemis made by RAM/Dodge......

I'll share my 'why install a catch can on a new engine' experience :

2014 Ford F150 XL 4X2, 3.7 liter base V6 engine (non turbo, not DI)
80% highway driven, very occasional towing/hauling.

Absolutely no complaints about this engine's performance,
302HP/280TQ, tows/hauls plenty for my usage, and delivers great fuel mileage.

I installed a catch can as I drained the factory fill at 1000km (600miles),
by the second oil change at 7000km (about 4500miles) it had accumulated about 1oz of oil.

I'd rather drain that than have it sucked back into the intake...

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 & 5W-30 mixed 50/50 in first OC, straight PP 5W-30 in there now.

Truck only driven 2-3 times a week but fully warmed-up to operating temp on days when driven.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snoman002

Don't forget to tell this Hemi guy with over 100k miles on one. One of the fastest stock quarter mile cars of it's type in the country and yet no catch can. Sure didn't seem to affect my performance.

Virtually ANY car has oil vapors coming through the PCV. All will collect oil in a catch can if one is connected. So that means millions and millions of cars do not have this "essential" piece of equipment installed...

Like snoman's post. Made a temporary, cheap catch bottle for a diesel kj. Dodge dealer sold an aftermarket aluminum catch can for the hemi owners. 50k miles on an I-5 H3 and pools of oil in the plastic intake in separated puddles because of the plastic webbing. Why did the manufacturers stop routing that hose to that little white filter in the air box. Probably because of the new design of negative pressure in the crank case the amount of oil would require the filter to be cleaned or replaced on a monthly interval. No catch cans on either vehicle but did clean the throttle plate on the ford recently.

Originally Posted By: 209paulc

As for the Terrain I'm simply going to splice an 1/4" inline air compressor filter I picked up at Harbor Freight to the existing PVC hose. Waiting on my new PVC hose I ordered from the dealer before cutting the current hose incase it doesn't work.

209paulc. Is the PVC hose the one on the left side of the engine that goes to that plastic baffle on top of the engine? If that's the one, I would love to see pictures
when it's completed.

Originally Posted By: 209paulc

209paulc. Is the PVC hose the one on the left side of the engine that goes to that plastic baffle on top of the engine? If that's the one, I would love to see pictures
when it's completed.

Correct..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back